Whatbird.com Community
rfurnish

Long-term Birding Goals

I know that many of us have birding goals.  It might be something related to a specific county or state list, having certain target species you want to see, or maybe something as simple as vowing not to keep a list and just enjoy what you see.  Turning 50 this past year, combined with a rainy day where I'm stuck inside (this is what leads to those "Cat in the Hat" kind of shenanigans!) has got me thinking a little more about what my long-term birding goals might be.  If anyone has any long-term, or life birding goals, I would love to hear them.

• Like 3

Wow!  That "critically endangered" bird has got to be on a lot of want lists, and is one of the stars on the lists of people who've seen it.

Keep the ideas/goals coming!

• Like 1

My goal would probably be to see the Bearded Vulture, and to visit the Galapagos and see the Flightless Cormorants. But really my long-term goal is to SEE MORE BIRDS!

• Like 2

A long term goal is to see at least one life bird a year. Sounds silly probably, but with a 2 year old and another on the way, "hardcore" birding has become very hard! My wife and I also agreed that we will take one bird related trip a year, regardless or time and money available. The easiest for us are quick weekend trips to Point Pelee (this May) and Magee Marsh. Those 2 areas have kept us going the past 8 years.

• Like 1

I don't have many specific goals, at least in terms of numbers. I would, however, like to go birding on every continent and every state. It'd be fun to try to get a good ABA tick list (sum of all state lists)! Also, county birding is fun. I'd like to get to 400 in one county which will probably be San Diego since I'm already at nearly 350. 

• Like 1

A long-term birding goal for me is to keep enjoying what I see, as stupid as it sounds. :) Twitching is all good and fun, but sometimes I get so caught up in chasing and listing, I forget to do that one simple thing that keeps birding alive and exciting for me.

• Like 6

I want to photograph all 19 regular ABA owls really well, and see 100 owls worldwide.  Basically, I love owls.  Also, I want to see a Marvelous Spatuletail, Fiery-throated Hummingbird, Torrent Duck, and Resplendent Quetzal.

Just off the top of my head.

• Like 4

Some long-term birding goals for me are to see 1000 species before I turn 20 (at ~750 already) as well as some specific birds I'd like to see. I'd love to see the Birds of Paradise (King-of-Saxony BOP is my favorite; PNG is a dream destination), Spoon-billed Sandpiper, Secretarybird, any Penguin, and more I'm probably forgetting atm.

Australia and Africa are places I'd love to visit in particular too.

• Like 1

A personal goal of mine is to break 250 species for my local park in Toronto, Tommy Thompson Park. I currently sit at 219.

• Like 2

I'm really enjoying reading all the different long-term goals.  There's some good variety in regards to targeting different species, various lists and numbers.  I would love to see some of those species mentioned, and can really relate to the Virginia list and worldwide Warbler chasing.  

I've thought about Papau New Guinea before, but have been warned repeatedly, by international tour guides, that it's an incredibly violent, borderline lawless place.  In Phoebe Snetsinger's account of her journey to seeing 8,400 different species, she writes of when she was gang raped by a group of men with machetes in Papau New Guinea, back in 1986.  In hindsight, she was amazed that she survived the visit.  From what I understand, the place hasn't really improved since then.  Despite so many cool birds there, I could never knowingly subject Marie to it.  If something happened, I could never forgive myself.

• Like 3

I'm really enjoying reading all the different long-term goals.  There's some good variety in regards to targeting different species, various lists and numbers.  I would love to see some of those species mentioned, and can really relate to the Virginia list and worldwide Warbler chasing.  

I've thought about Papau New Guinea before, but have been warned repeatedly, by international tour guides, that it's an incredibly violent, borderline lawless place.  In Phoebe Snetsinger's account of her journey to seeing 8,400 different species, she writes of when she was gang raped by a group of men with machetes in Papau New Guinea, back in 1986.  In hindsight, she was amazed that she survived the visit.  From what I understand, the place hasn't really improved since then.  Despite so many cool birds there, I could never knowingly subject Marie to it.  If something happened, I could never forgive myself.

I've heard a lot of bad things about PNG as well. I've been told that you can be attacked even on busy streets and it's unwise to go in groups of less than 3. Unfortunately I read a similar article a few months ago about a pair of tourists being attacked, beaten, and had some fingers cut off... I don't think I'll see the birds-of-paradise anytime soon, no matter how badly I'd love to see them. 

All that aside, I like this question! I'm not really sure what my long-term birding goals are, to be honest. The first thing that comes to mind is my want to see a Wallcreeper. Maybe, if I ever end up doing Neotropical bird studies or anything like that, I can try seeing every parakeet in the genus Pyrrhura. It'd be a sort of homage to the two species I've kept as pets, a Green-cheeked (P. molinae) and Pearly (P. lepida).

This is a really interesting thread! Seeing everyone's goals is kind of cool, in a way.

For North America, I want to see at least 500 species in the ABA area, and get a yearlist of 200 or more at some point. I also want to see Roseate Spoonbill, Ruff, Red-legged Honeycreeper, and see at least 3 ABA Code 4 or higher birds.

Worldwide, I want to aim for a lifelist of 1,000 at some point. I want to see penguins, birds-of-paradise ( like everyone else, lol. maybe we can all raise money and go to Papua New Guinea together :P ), cassowaries, kiwi, wild parrots, fairy-wrens, astrapia, and kakapo.

I have so many dream/goal trips to go on! In North America, I mainly want to go to Nome, Alaska for buntings and seabirds; Pinellas, Florida for parakeets and waders; and Maui, Hawai'i for 'Akohekohe (a dream bird of mine) and, well, everything Hawai'i has. They all seem like wonderful places, both for birding and normal tourist-y stuff (especially Hawai'i). Internationally, I would definitely want to go to South Africa, Madagascar, India, Japan, Australia, Finland, Antarctica, and Peru.

I don't know if I'll ever achieve all of these goals, as I'd have to save up tens of thousands of dollars to even think about going to some of these places, but I can dream, can't I? ;)

1. See every Owl in the Americas (1/?)

2. See a Hoopoe (0/1)

3. Get a World lifelist of 1000 (161/1000)

4. See 100 Hummingbird species (1/100)

5. See/hear an Oilbird (0/1)

A Few Goals:

1)  I've got this goofy idea in my head that when I retire, I might try to go birding in every state and every province within the same year.  Maybe I'll get a Red-winged Blackbird in every state?  If I pursue this, my next goal will be easy.

2)  I would like to get my ABA ticks list over the 5,000 mark.  When I did the Big Year, I made the mistake of chasing specific species and ignoring everything else.  This was partially due to time constraints, but I missed an opportunity to pad the "ticks" number.  As a result, I'm only about half way to 5,000.

3)  Internationally, I'm trying to figure out what might be a good long-term goal.  Maybe 3,000?

• Like 2

A Few Goals:

1)  I've got this goofy idea in my head that when I retire, I might try to go birding in every state and every province within the same year.  Maybe I'll get a Red-winged Blackbird in every state?  If I pursue this, my next goal will be easy.

2)  I would like to get my ABA ticks list over the 5,000 mark.  When I did the Big Year, I made the mistake of chasing specific species and ignoring everything else.  This was partially due to time constraints, but I missed an opportunity to pad the "ticks" number.  As a result, I'm only about half way to 5,000.

3)  Internationally, I'm trying to figure out what might be a good long-term goal.  Maybe 3,000?

I think you should add a fourth.

4) Keep making awesome trip reports.

;)

• Like 3

not really goals, more like dreams....

get to ABA 700

go to alaska

get a photo of a black rail

Black Rails don't exist, they're a myth perpetuated by a clever system of speakers set up in some strategic marshes.

• Like 10

Black Rails don't exist, they're a myth perpetuated by a clever system of speakers set up in some strategic marshes.

lol can confirm.

My goal would be to see as many Piciformes as possible...not sure why but I'm drawn to them more than other Orders. I've already seen all North American species, and 10% of all world wide.

lol can confirm.

My goal would be to see as many Piciformes as possible...not sure why but I'm drawn to them more than other Orders. I've already seen all North American species, and 10% of all world wide.

I've seen 1.6% of the world's species :P

Long-term goal, assuming I stay in this county is to see 240 birds. I've got records for 270, and their are 240 on eBird now. I'm at 213.

I'd like to see as many owls as possible. Find a Flammulated Iwl at an active nest (which shouldn't be that hard), see a Black Rail, and get my Maricopa County list up to 400 (no one has done it before but Tommy DeBardeleben is oy in his 30'd and is at like 475 so I probably won't be the first) I'm at 325 so far.

I'd like to see as many owls as possible. Find a Flammulated Iwl at an active nest (which shouldn't be that hard), see a Black Rail, and get my Maricopa County list up to 400 (no one has done it before but Tommy DeBardeleben is oy in his 30'd and is at like 475 so I probably won't be the first) I'm at 325 so far.