Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Mr. Taco Hard

What did you seen from your yard today?

What did you seen from your yard today?

So far I've had a few migrants like Lazuli Bunting and Wilson's Warbler. There's also a bunch of White-faced Ibis in my next door neighbors yard as well as some Black-necked Stilts.

• Like 1

Best things today in this yard were a Stripe-throated Hermit, and an Orange-bellied Euphonia. Both were lifers, so that's cool. There's also a pair of Piratic Flycatchers that will never shut up. Never....

I'm staying in Ecuador by the way. I'm definitely not crazy and seeing all these in Iowa, nopey nope.

• Like 3

Northing exciting lately. In fact, nothing exciting ever, at least at my home yard.

The Pine Siskins have been sticking around, which is nice.

A nesting MODO is nice (I had to scream at my brother to stop him from stressing it out). There's also a nesting pair of HOSP on a ladder and a pair of EUST nesting in a Norway Maple. I just put in new sugar water in my hummingbird feeder, so I hope to have them buzzing around.

Poor confused Tree Swallows. Long story, but I just hope they settle in a box soon and stop giving me the nerves! All the regulars around around; continuing Harris's Sparrows, newly arrived White-throated, White-crowned, Barn Swallows.

mixed bag today some winter birds dark eyed juncos and pine siskens and a tohee  and a few white crowned sparrows a pair of Cassins finches some year around birds a flock of Eurasians doves and some American goldfinches and house finches  and house sparrows some migrants red winged blackbirds and two male Bullocks orioles  this little guy just flew in todaycassins%20male_zpssqhki0vb.png

• Like 1

Magnificent Hummingbirds, White-Eared Hummingbirds, and Rufous Sabrewings; House and Rufous-Collared Sparrows; lovesick Rufous-Collared Robins singing their little hearts out; Eastern Bluebirds, also singing; Guatemalan (Northern) Flicker, Buff-Breasted Flycatcher, Lesser Goldfinches, Great-Tailed Grackles feeding babies, Black Vultures, and Rock Pigeons. Nothing particularly exciting or unusual, although I did see a late male Baltimore Oriole a couple of days ago.

At my Grandma's house in Pasadena, CA. So far from her yard I've had cool birds that we don't often get in Maricopa like Allen's Hummingbirds, American Crows, and lots if parts (including Red-crowned).

So, interesting story. Right across the street from where I live a construction crew cleared much of an open field and pretty much dug a hole. That hole filled with water from the rain. There has been no construction since then, and it's been full of water for some 6 months. I thought they were gonna build houses or something but it's possible that this pond was built on purpose, maybe a retention pond?

Anyway, that pond has attracted Greater Yellowlegs, possible Least Sandpiper (coulda worn I heard one) and Killdeer within the last few weeks. I gotta check it out more in depth cause who knows what else this pond could attract!

Blue Grosbeak returned to my yard yesterday and was singing his head off this morning.

• Like 1

I got my first for my yard Bullock's Oriole ad Olive-sided Flycatcher! I also had only my second for my yard Phainopepla! Migrants are also coming through in good numbers with Lazuli Buntings. Wilson's Yellow, and Yellow-rumped Warblers, and a push of Chipping Sparrows.

Black-headed Grosbeaks have just arrived, singing their hearts away. Managed to get 26 species in an hour, which is really good for my tiny lot.

Hoping for some more exotic migrants soon.

• Like 1

was sitting at the kitchen table this morning and glanced out the window and saw a Male Western Tanager eating from the jam bowl Was the first tanager I have had the spring. flew before I could get the camera.

Heard a Bobolink... just a matter of time before I see one. That is a bird I've been waiting for since they left last fall.

Tree Swallows are fighting like crazy... makes me want to put up another box. A Barn Swallow was again looking into the nesting cup that the House Finch started nesting in, she even laid five eggs, but now only comes back to sleep at night. I suspect something happened to the male that used to feed her while she was on the nest. I really want the Barn Swallows on our porch, but this situation seems to confuse them with as many times as they've looked at the nest, but then do nothing.

• Like 1

A Chipping Sparrow with overactive hormones... never saw them like this. First it attacked the side mirrors on our car, then it found small chrome parts on our grill to attack. It's also seen its reflection on a window, but couldn't hang on too long. I am tempted to sew cloth bags to put over our vehicles mirrors for the rare times they are left out, but I cannot do anything about the grill!

First of the year Baltimore Oriole.

Now the Chimney Swifts need to come about a half mile west (saw them on a bird walk)... we've got two towers waiting for them. We have a recording of their calls that is supposed to attract them, but it is poor quality and so soft. It's been frustrating watching those birds fly right over.

Hi, new to counting/reporting birds so I hope I do it right.  At our bird feeder in E. PA, U.S.A. today we have had the following:

Indigo Bunting

Flicker

Ruby-throated Grosbeak

Downey Woodpecker

Spotted Towhee

Assortment of small common birds, bluejays, and blackbirds.

New yardbird and only my second yardbird this year today. #101 Lark Sparrow!