• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
mrmerck

Squirrels and buying a new feeder

11 posts in this topic

Greetings!

Just joined the forum this evening and wanted to connect with some fellow back yard birders.

About me..Live in southern Virginia and host a wide variety of birds daily via bird baths, sunflower seed feeder, and Niger feeder.

Squirrels have been extremely pesky in my little town and I fully understand they have to eat too but seed is expensive and I do not desire to feed them. Not my thing, but trapping or shooting them isnt allowed here.

This summer the little rodents have wraked havoc on my Brome Squirrel Buster Plus feeder. Brome is terrific and will send me endless parts, problem is, I am in constant need of parts. This has grown quite old.

I read about a rollerball brand feeder and watched some youtube videos. I`m intrigued! I understand that there is probably NO such thing as a full proof feeder for squirrels but I am seeking others advice. Anyone have thoughts on the Rollerball feeder or something else they like?

Thanks!

Welcome to Whatbird!  I will begin with the age old question, do you have your feeders baffled?  I have 6 feeder poles, with about 20 feeders hanging from them, and the squirrels can't get to them.  I have them far enough from trees that they can't jump, and baffles so they can't climb.  Squirrels are still an "issue" for me, but all they can get to is whatever seed the birds drop.  

I don't have any knowledge of the rollerball brand feeder, but maybe others do.  

I've seen the Broome feeders in stores here, but never seen or heard of a Rollerball brand, so I can't help there.  Like Chaseman I've had the best luck with baffling the poles the feeders are on.  It keeps the squirrels off the feeders completely so all they can do is scavenge what ends up on the ground (which can be quite alot some days).

Welcome to Whatbird!

Do a two pronged attack (or defense really). Use a good pole baffle 4-5 feet up a pole and hang squirrel proof feeders like the Brome Squirrel-buster series. I will be the best opportunity you have to prevent them from eating stuff. Also place the feeder away from tree branches, balconies, or any surface the squirrels can jump from. 

I have a similar approach to the above, but with many trees in my yard it is sometimes hard to place the feeder in a spot from which the squirrels cannot drop down from above.  My Brome squirrel buster is very effective though.  They climb up the pole sometimes, but then realize they cannot get the food.

I have a suet feeder on my deck, for the two squirrels I have. I have a hanging cage for the woodpeckers and other birds who love suet. I like watching the squirrels. Best to tolerate them, because they are smart enough to get at anything or make you spend a lot of money to stop them.

I use two Perky Pet squirrel be gone feeders.  It has a weight activated perch bar that closes to prevent squirrels from eating the seed. There's springs on both sides of the perch that you can adjust to keep squirrels away.  After a day or two they don't try to eat at all. Here's one trying on mine, you can buy them cheap off ebay.  I can't seem to post photos on here, but here's a youtube video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7Ov7GNxnpA

post-99536-0-66992100-1477505281_thumb.jpg

post-99536-0-79492100-1477505284_thumb.jpg

post-99536-0-85742100-1477505287_thumb.jpg

I  have not used any of the product mentioned above. For my farm from past one year i have been using the bird feeder kit by PECK-O-MATIC. i was also facing the same problem. my bird feeds was wasted by rodents and mice. i looked for a bid feeder that keeps my feeds secure from mice and rodents.then i got to know about the PECK-O-MATIC bird feeder kit. now i don't worry about the bird feeds.I am happy about the product.

I"m new to the forum and am just now reading this thread. I purchased a "Yankee Flipper" a few years ago and find that it works according to their ads. There is a motorized bird perch that activates when something heavy, like a squirrel, presses down on it. It will literally spin the squirrel around until it lets go. Usually, the animal drops as soon as the perch begins to turn.  The attached photo shows the bottom of the feeder, including the bird perch.  You can find various videos of it on youtube.   Squirrels will ALWAYS persist, and they're always fun to watch as they try.

Edit: Tried to add a photo but could not.