Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Mr. Taco Hard

County Lifers?

conXtreme    514

Got Albemarle 131 (Barred Owl) on August 9th and got Charlottesville 130 (Green Heron) on July 25th. nothing that recent though

Matth    496

Two weeks ago I got Broomfield lifer Black Tern which was #146 and yesterday I got  Adams lifer Willow Flycatcher which was #138.  

guy_incognito    3985

The last time I actually got an ABA lifer in my home county was about 2 years and 3 months ago!  I've had over 100 ABA lifers during that time; they have just all been out of the county, and majority out of state.

My last new bird for the county was three weeks ago with an Eastern Kingbird. 

Dipped on a Frigatebird this weekend that was reported earlier in the day.  Last Frigatebird in the county was 18 years ago, and the previous record was another 18 years before that.

MaxkewlBirder    1357

Here are some county tbt lifers because it is Thursday! Lesser Sand-Plover from July, 2013 not sure what number it was. Yellow-crowned Night-Heron in August, 2013 not sure what number it was in San Diego when I saw my first one. Wilson's Phalarope in Orange County, California August, 2013 not sure what number it was in Orange County.

darknight    4927

In a miracle that defies all miracles, I got Riv Co bird number 305, Pacific Golden-Plover.

See, I have a bad habit. I'm lazy, so I usually wait until a bird I need for the county is refound before I consider chasing it, especially if I've seen it before. Often, I wait until the last day it's seen, then try to go see it the next day. Despite having decidedly mixed success with this strategy, I persist with it. Last weekend a Pacific Golden-Plover was seen at San Jacinto Wildlife Area, a county first (I think). Did I go see it Sunday, when everyone else flocked there and refound it? Nope, too easy. Did I go see it Monday, which was still a perfectly nice day? Nope, again too easy. Around comes Tuesday, and I decided that I need to see this bird. By now it's 102, and I set out at about 2pm, giving myself 2 hours before I need to run home and shower before picking up my wife and going out to dinner. 

I arrive at the prescribed place. It's hot, windy and sunny. the only other person there is driving a tractor around, pretending to mow dead weeds. The bird is no where to be seen, though there's hundreds of ducks and shorebirds to comb through an hour and a half passes, in which I roam back and forth around the area it's last been seen with an increasingly pessimistic outlook. I pass the time by composing amusingly worded "bird not found" emails to the listserv in my head. I've got about 30 minutes left before I need to race home, and there's about a couple of square miles of habitat in that area that I haven't checked yet, on the basis that the bird was reported in one specific area on Sunday. I decide to go check out the best looking habitat with my last bit of time, but on a hunch stop and investigate a few newly flooded fields on the way out. Lots of distant specks, but nothing interesting... Until I stop at a field just starting to be flooded, give one last quick scan before I get back into the car, and there it is. Victory, snatched from the jaws of defeat! A satisfying twitch, all the more so because I don't know when I'd ever get another chance at one in Riv Co.

Checklist with mediocre photos, for those interested:

http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S31337397

• Like 7

CanadianCodhead    3436

Home county #226 - Whimbrel,

Strange one in that, especially in the spring, thousands pass over the west end of Toronto (which can be one heck of an impressive site - in 2015 on the day I went something like 2,400 were counted), not 50 kilometers away, but they are uncommonly seen at home.

guy_incognito    3985

In a miracle that defies all miracles, I got Riv Co bird number 305, Pacific Golden-Plover.

A cunning strategy!  Doing it the traditional way is just too easy.

It's not the first Pacific GP for the county.  Dr. No had one but a couple of the other major Riv Co listers didn't, so I'm sure he'd have preferred it to be an American (since the others already have that and wouldn't get a catch up bird on him).

• Like 1

guy_incognito    3985

Yes, #340 for San Bernardino County!  Surprising it stuck around all day.  The park closes at 5 and was told they close the gates at 4.  We rushed over after work arriving just before 5 to try and look from outside the park, which we did successfully see a skimmer blob.  As we were parked on the entrance road (with 'No Parking' signs) a park employee drove up to us.  Expecting him to ask us to move along, he just asked what we were doing.  After telling him, he invited us go into the park for a few minutes, and didn't even charge us the entry fee.  Thanks!

29337158201_afa9cd5a72_c.jpg

Black Skimmer by mattag2002, on Flickr

• Like 6