• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kediset

Lens suggestions?

9 posts in this topic

I have a Nikon D3300, and just a few days ago got myself a 55-300mm lens. I realized belatedly it won't be enough to capture buffleheads way out in the middle of the bay... (I think my point n click 's zoom covered far more ground, though quality hits the ground once it's past the sweet spot)

DSC_0141.jpg

(not a bufflehead [none to be seen today], but it was small and far enough to get an idea of what I'm aiming for. Camera was at max zoom. Would like to get close and personal)

I'm going to keep it anyways, because I'm not planning to carry a monster of a lens for say... scenic stuff (that, and the lens on my other camera got smudgy on the inside of its lens. No idea how that even happened). So anyways, to avoid making a mistake, thought it'd be better to ask here for recommendations.

Side question; Where do you guys get your lenses? I'm in Canada in a small city, so I don't really have much options of physical stores to go to. I don't mind ordering online (Got mine off Amazon, that happened to be selling the lens I got itself so I had no trust issue there), just don't know what or who is reliable to order from.

Apologies for all my babbling :P

Oh and, say it's colder than the lowest temperature that's OK to take your gear out as is.. there a way to get around that? O-o (being in the great north and all..)

It's all a question of price,when it comes to big lenses,a 600 f4 is roughly 11 grand,a bit rich for my blood..lol...however in the last few years the manufactureres have started to get into so,e quality glass at reasonable prices,Nikon has a 200-500,which I have,that goes for about 1400 hundred,it's a great lens,the first several pages on my Flickr stream are from that lens https://www.flickr.com/photos/91751046@N08/....there is also sigma which has two versions of its 150-600 lens,a contempary lens and a sport lens,the sport one is around 2200 and the contempary is about 1400,both seem to be excellent lenses,although I do not have them or used them. Tamron has just released its new version of the 150-600 they put out about three years ago,I had the original and it was a nice lens,but very slow to focus. They seem to have fixed that but again about 1400 for it, I would go online and check reviews and see what you think as far as price points and functionally, in the long run,it comes down to what you shoot and how much quality you want,a 600 f4 is a kickass lens and will give you amazing pics,at that price it should,but stepping down to one of the big zooms isn't as bad as it was years ago,they have vastly improved,another good source for used lens is Keh.com, they have a great grading system and stand behind their stuff,also Craigslist isn't a bad option either,you can find some real bargains sometimes,but with that,remember buyer beware, and bring so,someone who knows about lenses and such....

Edit- there is no lens that will give you a great shot that far away,the closer you are the better,will you be able to identify a bufflehead that far away,probably,but as for getting a sharp shot,there is no way that's goin to happen that far away

2 people like this

Aww :( was worth a shot in asking.

I did see a 200-500 on Amazon around that price range, but I wasn't sure about the set in stone f stop. Not like I've done any manual shots yet so I don't know why I have an issue with it lol.

The f stop isn't set in stone on that lens. The f/ stop is just whatever the widest aperture is for the lens. You can shoot with different aperture values within the range of the lens.

Because on zoom lenses there are different focal lengths so if a zoom is 55-250 and the aperture is f/5.6- f/7.1 that means that at 55mm wide open is f/5.6 and at 250mm wide open is f/7.1.

On a prime lens (single focal length) it'll only have one aperture value. For instance, on my 500mm it's f/4.5. 

Hope that helps. 

Because on zoom lenses there are different focal lengths so if a zoom is 55-250 and the aperture is f/5.6- f/7.1 that means that at 55mm wide open is f/5.6 and at 250mm wide open is f/7.1.

On a prime lens (single focal length) it'll only have one aperture value. For instance, on my 500mm it's f/4.5. 

Hope that helps. 

Too clarify this the 200-500mm is a zoom lens but can keep an f5.6 across it's range. It's a little weird like that and I like it, it's a fantastic lens for it's price. 

I have bought a number of lenses for my Nikon camera at very competitive prices at Aden Camera (Ontario) and The Camera Store (Alberta) via the internet. I am located in Manitoba.

I also own a 200-500 mm nikon lens and its very, very sharp. The focusing is fast, but could be faster. The focusing speed is adequate for most situations. See my pictures on: flickr,https://www.flickr.com/photos/138667297@N06/

This lens set to 500 mm on your camera will act as 750 mm lens since your camera has a cropped sensor and will bring in your subject much better than your 300 mm lens which will provide you with a 450 mm focal length.

This lens is "light weight" relative to its size and focal length but not light (~5.0 lbs) with camera about 7 lbs. I use a monopod most of the time with this combination.

An alternative could be a nikon prime 300 mm lens at least f4.0  with a 1.4 teleconverter. That combintion would give you 630 mm focal length. The f- stop has to be at least f4.0 since the telecoverter will reduce your effective f-stop by one  to 5.6. At f8.0 your camera will have difficulty autofocusing.

Peter