Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
CanadianCodhead

California 2017 Whatbird Big Year

Thread for discussion and tracking of the 2017 Whatbird Big Year in California.

Tracking spreadsheet can be found here : California Entry

Instructions can be found here : Instructions for entry

General comments and discussion should be added to this thread. For questions or problems that require help, please send a private message to CanadianCodhead, please do not assume I will be monitoring all 65+ threads for questions.

Good birding.

who's going birding on new year's?  is anyone going on the san diego pelagic?  there's a red-footed booby out there somewhere. 

i won't be able to go out on new year's, however i am hoping to go try for the common pochard later in the week.  (please please stay)

I'll probably do some type of birding on new year's just to get my year list going.  Been fighting a cold, though, so not sure how much I'll get done.  I was interested in doing the SD pelagic, mainly since it seems that it's been a better year for Short-tailed Shearwater.  Luckily I already have Red-footed Booby for the state.  Not sure how I'd feel if we saw the recently rehabbed and released bird?

i would rather see a released booby than none at all, as long as i was able to count it.  and apparently i am missing out on a black-headed gull this weekend. gulls don't seem to hang around too long.  grrr

Tricolored Heron continues for 2017! If anyone is planning on looking for it the best side of the Tijuana Slough NWR to see it at is the South McCoy Trail entrance from 5th Street and Iris Avenue.

Edited by MaxkewlBirder

12 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

i would rather see a released booby than none at all, as long as i was able to count it.  and apparently i am missing out on a black-headed gull this weekend. gulls don't seem to hang around too long.  grrr

You're not able to go this weekend?  It stuck for at least a second day (yesterday), and wouldn't be surprised if it will stick around for a while.  The one 3 years ago stuck for a few days, so I got to see that one.  It can be helpful to know if it has a pattern.  Some of the gulls move around a lot, but can be somewhat reliable in where they return at certain times of the day.

Added a bunch of stuff that I saw at Crown Point as well as GHOW, happy to get that so early this year.

Nice. 

I haven't carefully followed the story with the RFBO.  Sounds like they confirmed this is the same bird that was rehabbed and recently released in SD waters a few days ago.

Since it has been found in the harbor, has it really flown on its own?  Did it just ride the boat out and back in yesterday?  Thought I read that it probably has only been able to eat what the fishermen have tossed it?

As far as I understand, it seems like even under those worst case scenarios, the bird is still countable per ABA rules.  However, I personally feel that it just doesn't feel as satisfying.  The bird may only be surviving because it is being fed, and probably never really fared well after being released from rehab.

Thoughts or additional insights on this bird?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, guy_incognito said:

Nice. 

I haven't carefully followed the story with the RFBO.  Sounds like they confirmed this is the same bird that was rehabbed and recently released in SD waters a few days ago.

Since it has been found in the harbor, has it really flown on its own?  Did it just ride the boat out and back in yesterday?  Thought I read that it probably has only been able to eat what the fishermen have tossed it?

As far as I understand, it seems like even under those worst case scenarios, the bird is still countable per ABA rules.  However, I personally feel that it just doesn't feel as satisfying.  The bird may only be surviving because it is being fed, and probably never really fared well after being released from rehab.

Thoughts or additional insights on this bird?

It left the boat at 10:30 today and hasn't been seen since, so it may have left before I got a chance to see it 

grrrr

well selfishly i hope the booby comes back so i can see it.  

but for the bird's sake i hope it can fend for itself in the wild.  it seems like maybe it became habituated to humans and is too comfortable around them.  instead of taking pictures, really people should have been hazing it to shoo it away.  

1 hour ago, guy_incognito said:

Ginger, congrats on the Pochard.  You got some of the best photos I've seen of it!

haha, kinda sad that my mediocre photo is one of the better ones 

2 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

haha, kinda sad that my mediocre photo is one of the better ones 

Still, a mediocre photo is better than none at all :) 

Mediocre perhaps for any ol' duck, but pretty good for such a rarity!  I certainly don't have a Pochard photo from the ABA - and even the photo I have from Portugal may be no better.

We'll have to wait for more details on the Kestrel.  I've heard that it was acting fairly cooperative, perhaps too cooperative.  No jesses, but still concerning that it could be an escaped bird.

• Like 2

Just went through and added a bunch, most not very exciting.

Today saw Scissor-tailed Flycatcher, Thick-billed Kingbird, Magnolia Warbler, Nashville Warbler, and NO Tricolored Heron.

• Like 1

Added a few more from this weekend, the only of note, for the time of year at least, being Bell's Vireo. 

• Like 1

wow i was actually going to go look for the tricolored heron this week, i guess i waited too long.  there are at least 10 birds within 1 hour of me i need for my state list.  that dusky-capped flycatcher is only 20-25 minutes from me.  think of all the miles i could save on my car if i start birding in my own county!

• Like 2

10 state birds within 1 hour, no fair!  My closest state bird (if it is still around) is the Tricolored Heron in San Diego, over 2 hours from home.  Next up it would be Short-tailed Shearwater in Monterey.

We wasted some time going after the reported Tricolored Heron from Silver Strand.  This was NOT a Tricolored! http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S33537943

We thought about trying for the Dusky-capped Flycatcher, but figured it wasn't worth $14 for each of us.

7 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

wow i was actually going to go look for the tricolored heron this week, i guess i waited too long.  there are at least 10 birds within 1 hour of me i need for my state list.  that dusky-capped flycatcher is only 20-25 minutes from me.  think of all the miles i could save on my car if i start birding in my own county!

Did you move south, Gin? Thought you were further north.

9 hours ago, creeker said:

Did you move south, Gin? Thought you were further north.

yes i am in oceanside now