Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
CanadianCodhead

California 2017 Whatbird Big Year

On 10/12/2017 at 5:16 PM, ginspin16 said:

thank you Ryan for your prediction!  now could you please predict that it is refound tomorrow....

Gets even better than that... I actually texted Justyn Stahl the morning of our Dusky Warbler that San Diego was going to finally get a Dusky. Too bad the stupid thing didn't stick around.

• Like 1

Added Brown-crested Flycatcher, Blackpoll Warbler, Black-throated Blue Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, and Tennessee Warbler. Obviously not all from one day -- the only recent one is the Black-throated Blue Warbler yesterday. Finally got one! Super overdue lifer/state bird/county bird. I've chased them like four times previously and missed every time.

• Like 2

Nice JB, sadly I haven't seen any of those species in CA this year.

I gave you guys plenty of time to add Cassin's Sparrow before me.  Actually saw two today, both stupidly cooperative.  Took some work, but also saw the Greater Pewee today.

20 minutes ago, ginspin16 said:

yay for Greater Pewee but did you get to see Bradley Cooper’s baby? :lol:

Hah, I heard some fragments of that story, but no, no famous baby sightings for me. 

I did recognize someone amongst the many cars that would stop to ask what we were looking at, which was Judd Apatow.

17 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

Nice JB, sadly I haven't seen any of those species in CA this year.

I gave you guys plenty of time to add Cassin's Sparrow before me.  Actually saw two today, both stupidly cooperative.  Took some work, but also saw the Greater Pewee today.

Ugh... I decided yesterday was the day to go to six flags of all the days. If I don't get scheduled to work tomorrow (PLEASE) I'll chase the CASP here.

2 hours ago, JimBob said:

Ugh... I decided yesterday was the day to go to six flags of all the days. If I don't get scheduled to work tomorrow (PLEASE) I'll chase the CASP here.

Yeah, definitely a gamble to put yourself out of commission anytime in the fall.

I heard the pelagic trip was really slow.  Was a bit worried about missing that one, since the last 3 SD pelagics in a row had a very good bird.

Well, I didn't get scheduled for work so:

37860744216_45bbc345fb_c.jpg

It had been hanging out in the usual spot, by the weird cement thing and then flew into the hedges on the right side of the plot. I walked like 5 or so feet in and then sat down. The darn thing hopped out of the bush about 30ft up from me and slowly walked to within 10ft of me over the course of 5 minutes. Ridiculously cooperative! I always love it when the bird approaches you and you don't have to approach it.

• Like 2

Congrats.  Yeah, both of these Cassin's Sparrows were super easy.  I sat down on the right side of that cement thing and watched as the sparrow just sat on top of the bush for a minute or two.  It was visible somewhere in the pocket park for probably 90% of the time I was there.

24039305438_2352e03e25_c.jpg

Cassin's Sparrow by mattag2002, on Flickr

• Like 3

Yeah, I told my mom that it was going to be super easy if it was there. She was only like 5ft behind me when it came super close to me, so she also got amazing views. It's kind of crazy how intricate their plumage is when you see them up close! From a distance, they look pretty drab but man... I love the mantle/back and wing pattern on them! 

• Like 1

Heh... sorry. Towards the end I was quickly realizing that not getting a pic was not anything to complain about!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JimBob said:

Heh... sorry. Towards the end I was quickly realizing that not getting a pic was not anything to complain about!

I'd completely be in the same boat.  I generally want to get nice photos, but I also just like to have an "identifiable" photo for a photo list.  For the Broad-billed I'd live without getting a great photo of that bird since I've seen many and have good photos from AZ, but since it would have been a new state bird for me, I was fairly bummed.  At least it is a bird that I should have a decent chance at in the foreseeable future (not like dipping on a Ross's Gull or Olive-backed Pipit).

Yeah, there'll definitely be lots more opportunities. Seems like there's consistently been one or more a year for the past like 5 years. I'm still hoping the Lake Murray bird will turn up but I really thought our bird was that one so I don't know.

On 11/5/2017 at 4:31 PM, JimBob said:

Yeah, there'll definitely be lots more opportunities. Seems like there's consistently been one or more a year for the past like 5 years. I'm still hoping the Lake Murray bird will turn up but I really thought our bird was that one so I don't know.

We'll see if this one in Vista will be publically accessible. 

Got the Ruby-throated Hummingbird today.  Not a cooperative bird.

On 11/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, guy_incognito said:

We'll see if this one in Vista will be publically accessible. 

Got the Ruby-throated Hummingbird today.  Not a cooperative bird.

Yeah... kind of hoping the Vista bird becomes publically accessible. Really want a picture of that bird for the county/state.

Also, jealous of the Ruby-throated! Missed that birds entire stay by being in El Salvador for a missions trip (saw like 30 species, 8 new ones).

14 hours ago, JimBob said:

Yeah... kind of hoping the Vista bird becomes publically accessible. Really want a picture of that bird for the county/state.

Also, jealous of the Ruby-throated! Missed that birds entire stay by being in El Salvador for a missions trip (saw like 30 species, 8 new ones).

The Ruby-throated Hummingbird may still be around.  I know it was missed yesterday during an afternoon visit, but it has plenty of feeders to go to in the area, and never was very cooperative to start with.  I wouldn't write it off yet, but I also wouldn't drive 3 hours to get there until someone else confirms it is still around!  Problem is, not many will be looking for it anymore (it was somewhat surprising how few looked for it in the first place).