Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
CanadianCodhead

California 2017 Whatbird Big Year

Awesome! Also, I stumbled across a post on BirdForum by someone asking about Garganeys in the old world coming to city parks and apparently they do it fairly often. There were several Europeans who said they've seen Garganeys take advantage of free food in city parks many times. So, could actually be a wild bird.... I'm leaning on it.

• Like 1

Interesting about them also enjoying European bread.

I really waffled on it for a long time, but ultimately felt that it was probably fine.  Being a young bird certainly helps its cause, as does the absence of obvious signs of captivity (no bands, has both hindtoes, and can fly).  There are other migratory ducks at the location who join right in the fray with the Mallards.  It does seem like wild birds are able to adapt and start behaving like other birds in their presence quite rapidly.  If I go to my local wildlife preserve all the ducks and geese are super wary (maybe because no one feeds them, and instead people shoot guns at them).  Whereas at my local city park, I've been surprised how confiding a brand new wild bird can be.  There was a Greater White-fronted Geese that was at the ponds outside my job for just one day (I check the ponds most days), and it was just as tame as the year round Canada Geese.  Same thing has happened with Cackling Geese and a few ducks.

Yeah, it definitely happens regularly here. Multiple Greater White-fronted Geese, a few Cackling, some Snow. Ducks too -- I've had a Redhead swim up within 10ft of me at a local park, trying to get bread.

On 11/30/2017 at 9:59 AM, JimBob said:

Nazcas are just increasing in terms of occurrence. There'll be another one soon. In San Diego. Hopefully.

On 11/30/2017 at 2:24 PM, guy_incognito said:

There will certainly be another Nazca before another Garganey.  Maybe this same one will next show up at La Jolla, moving down from Newport and Dana Point.

Assuming Paul's bird was a Nazca, it'd seem likely it was indeed the same adult moving down the coast.  Hopefully it will be refound!

8 minutes ago, guy_incognito said:

Assuming Paul's bird was a Nazca, it'd seem likely it was indeed the same adult moving down the coast.  Hopefully it will be refound!

Yep... hopefully it stops going further south right about now, though. I debated chasing it but figured it would fly before I could've gotten there. It did.

well i did go down there.  and if i’d gone straight to Caribe park like i planned, then i would have got there about the same time as the guy who refound it.

but noooo, i decided after the negative reports that i would go fool around Fiesta Island and look for the short-eared owls while i waited for OTHERS to refind it.  and of course i also assumed they would post promptly if they did.

and so i made yet another bad decision!  and also realized i am a lazy birder!  never found the owls, either.  had to leave before dusk but tomorrow i am off so i hope to try again.

Yeah, kind of sucks the one person who doesn't have a smart phone refound it... I've told him he needs to get a smartphone before. :rolleyes:

19 minutes ago, JimBob said:

Yeah, kind of sucks the one person who doesn't have a smart phone refound it... I've told him he needs to get a smartphone before. :rolleyes:

Does he have any kind of phone?  It's still possible to spread the word the old fashioned way...verbally.

Hopefully it will be more cooperative than it(?) was in OC and stay for a second day.  Good luck to you both!

13 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

Does he have any kind of phone?  It's still possible to spread the word the old fashioned way...verbally.

Hopefully it will be more cooperative than it(?) was in OC and stay for a second day.  Good luck to you both!

Yeah, he has a flip phone. He has my number so he theoretically could have called me but I'm guessing he didn't think of it.

Also, what the hell is going on?!?! FOUR NAZCAS?! They better stick around.

Hmm, maybe I should have gone down.  I figured there MIGHT be one in the morning, and it would be terrible views.  But with four, and possibly more(?), the odds of getting a good look at one should increase.

This is starting to generate the feel when the first Blue-footed Boobies were found during that incredible irruption.  I don't know if the parallel will go much further than that.  Those were mainly (entirely?) juveniles, and come from a closer breeding range.  But boy, wouldn't it be great to have Nazcas all over So Cal, both inland and on the coast!

• Like 1

Yeah, I also got them. I'm going out on a boat with Dave Povey tomorrow to hopefully see them better. If they stick around, he seems game to take others out when he can. Might be worth emailing him if you're interested and they stick around for a while. Also got Short-eared Owl but for all of five seconds. Glad I got it as this was my fifth attempt, but I got no pictures and the views were awful. Definitely chasing again.

JimBob, it was good to see you as we traded spots on the boat!  Looks like we both might have done better later on.  Did you see Nancy's photos?  I died a little bit inside.

Still not a bad morning in SD before getting to work for my PM shift on time.

39052264071_446b3cc35b_c.jpg

Nazca Booby by mattag2002, on Flickr

39021009472_ee474c85a1_c.jpg

Mountain Plover by mattag2002, on Flickr

39021009982_2d08360a4f_c.jpg

Short-eared Owl by mattag2002, on Flickr

• Like 5

Yeah, seeing Nancy's photos were painful. What's even worse is that I could have gone out that last time and gotten those pictures too! There were only four on the boat that time but I decided scouting for the CBC was more important. Grrrrrr

12 hours ago, crazed4birds said:

*Looks for birds to enter that I saw yesterday*

@guy_incognito has already seen them all <_<

There are few really obvious misses for me this year.  No Brown-crested Flycatcher, Scott's Oriole, Surfbird, many pelagics, Black Swift, etc, etc.  I haven't really cared about my state year list, just going for birds I was otherwise interested in or just happened across.

18 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

Anyone see the Harris's Hawk (JB, not far from you)?

Perhaps, more importantly, is this a legit bird?  Some speculation it is a long staying escapee?

congratulations on your wagtail, you certainly are persistent!

4 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

congratulations on your wagtail, you certainly are persistent!

Thanks Ginger!  Nearly all my SBE Co lister friends already got it, so I couldn't be left out.  Took a lot more work than I was hoping for.

25548751108_c0b17e6db9_c.jpg

White Wagtail by mattag2002, on Flickr

• Like 1

It's now 2018, but I'll post here anyway.

Not often you see a Greater Pewee, Nazca Booby, and Harris's Hawk, and feel like you should have been somewhere else...

1 hour ago, guy_incognito said:

It's now 2018, but I'll post here anyway.

Not often you see a Greater Pewee, Nazca Booby, and Harris's Hawk, and feel like you should have been somewhere else...

Nazca booby was great, where else should you have been?  are you still sad about the Citrine wagtail?  and i won't be surprised if you get to be among the apparent elite few that get to try for the Tropical parula