• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
The Traveler

Major Dips in 2017

39 posts in this topic

guy_incognito did one of these for 2016, so I thought it be neat to do one for 2017 too.

I've really only chased 2 species this year so far haha. One was a Black-headed Gull in Niagara, which I got.

The other was a Slaty-backed Gull. Tried for that all day on Saturday but dipped. Saturday it was only seen for like 5 minutes on the American side at Goat Island. I went back with another friend on Sunday and dipped again. Sunday at 12:20 it was seen at Goat Island again and flew at 12:31 and was refound at 2:41 on the Canadian side but we had left at around 12:30 and couldn't go back. :( If it's still there when I can back from my trip (on Feb 25) I'm gonna go on the Monday or Tuesday so fingers crossed. :P I'm doubtful it'll still be there but one can hope right. :P

1 person likes this

So far my worst dips were a Barnicle Goose (which I wasn't really expecting to stick around) and two Glaucous Gulls (not too rare).

59 minutes ago, Astrobirder said:

So far my worst dips were a Barnicle Goose (which I wasn't really expecting to stick around) and two Glaucous Gulls (not too rare).

How far is that Slaty-backed for you?

1 hour ago, The Traveler said:

How far is that Slaty-backed for you?

8 hours. I might as well fly there

Let's all have a moment of silence for the California Ross's Gull. That peregrine probably gripped off hundreds of birders in one fell swoop. 

6 people like this

While I was in the Buffalo area last week for work, I decided I had to visit the falls before heading home on 1/13. I knew the Slaty-backed was seen on/off but I did not go there specifically to try and find it. I only had a short period of time to spend in the AM before having to drive home(about 7 hours). I saw the Falls... not really impressed with the view of the American Falls from this side and the Horseshoe Falls, while a nice view from up top... the terrapin point walkway would have been much better but was closed due to the ice and weather. Really need to bring passport if I am ever up that way again and cross the border. Plus Canada seems to really have the tourist side of things wrapped up compared to the US side...not to mention probably far superior views.

Anyway I was on Goat Island, I did see a bunch of the Gulls together in the one spot... but I had no scope with me. I spent about 20 mins sorting through and I did manage to ID a Glaucous, Lesser BB, with the Herring, RBs, and a few Greater BBs with my bins. I am fairly confident the Slaty-backed was not in this group of Gulls unfortunately. 

So while a dip, but not a Major dip, as I was in the area for business and did not go solely to get the Slaty-backed... damn, it sure would've been nice! 

8 hours ago, Astrobirder said:

8 hours. I might as well fly there

Ah ok.

3 hours ago, birdbrain22 said:

While I was in the Buffalo area last week for work, I decided I had to visit the falls before heading home on 1/13. I knew the Slaty-backed was seen on/off but I did not go there specifically to try and find it. I only had a short period of time to spend in the AM before having to drive home(about 7 hours). I saw the Falls... not really impressed with the view of the American Falls from this side and the Horseshoe Falls, while a nice view from up top... the terrapin point walkway would have been much better but was closed due to the ice and weather. Really need to bring passport if I am ever up that way again and cross the border. Plus Canada seems to really have the tourist side of things wrapped up compared to the US side...not to mention probably far superior views.

Anyway I was on Goat Island, I did see a bunch of the Gulls together in the one spot... but I had no scope with me. I spent about 20 mins sorting through and I did manage to ID a Glaucous, Lesser BB, with the Herring, RBs, and a few Greater BBs with my bins. I am fairly confident the Slaty-backed was not in this group of Gulls unfortunately. 

So while a dip, but not a Major dip, as I was in the area for business and did not go solely to get the Slaty-backed... damn, it sure would've been nice! 

Yeah, it seems to be sticking to the Canadian side more. Turns out someone was seing it in Waterloo from late Nov to early Dec but misID'd it as a GBBG!

19 hours ago, The Traveler said:

guy_incognito did one of these for 2016, so I thought it be neat to do one for 2017 too.

11 hours ago, darknight said:

Let's all have a moment of silence for the California Ross's Gull. That peregrine probably gripped off hundreds of birders in one fell swoop. 

I'm glad you did this, it can be a great way to share stories of our pain.

I actually thought about starting this thread again on Saturday while on the way up to Half Moon Bay.  I was feeling pessimistic, and mentally preparing to majorly dip on the Ross's Gull.  Luckily for us, the Peregrine Falcon hadn't found the Ross's yet.

We also wondered how many phones may have been smashed in airplanes at SFO after landing, turning off airplane mode, and reading the heartbreaking news.  That said, MANY birders still got to enjoy the bird.  It was found on a Thursday which gave enough time for us working stiffs to put some plans together to get there early on Saturday well before its peregrine assisted departure at 2 pm.

So fortunately, no major dips to report yet.  We were hoping one of the other great gulls in Monterey (Slaty-backed and Black-tailed) would have stuck around, but no luck there.

1 person likes this

Ugh... Mine was brutal. Reports of 2 Pink-footed Geese and a Snow Goose in a city 2 hours north of me. Boss called in sick so I figured I could take the day and go find them. Got up there and within 5 minutes found the Snow Goose (so it wasn't that horrible) and every report I read had all three in the same vicinity so things were looking up! Scanned around the field for an hour nothing. So I went to the other popular hang out for these guys searched for 2 hours and every 45 mins taking a quick drive back to the field. Ultimately had to leave thinking the PFGOs moved on as it had been 2 days since last report. Sure enough the second I get home, someone posts seeing them that day, and basically every day since they've been hanging around. 

My YBC and I spent an hour scanning hundreds of Tundra Swan and Canada geese for 8 reported GWFG. 

We failed :P

Mountain bluebird, reported but didn't hit the daily rare report (county). Saw it as the guys last bird. I've checked the location, 4, 5, 6 times now and the only thing blue I've seen was a stellars jay.

Other notable dips were Falcated duck and yellow billed loon (successful). Missed the rock sandpiper at the same location as the loon.

20 hours ago, TheWiseOwl said:

Mountain bluebird, reported but didn't hit the daily rare report (county). Saw it as the guys last bird. I've checked the location, 4, 5, 6 times now and the only thing blue I've seen was a stellars jay.

Other notable dips were Falcated duck and yellow billed loon (successful). Missed the rock sandpiper at the same location as the loon.

It's not a dip if you're successful. :P

Also, dang, you dipped on the Falcated! That sucks!

On 1/16/2017 at 7:32 PM, darknight said:

Nooooo! I never heard about that!

Every bird in Ontario that is not a House Sparrow or Blue Jay. :angry:

Hopefully in 2 or 3 weeks I can get fitted for a walking cast and have some degree of mobility again.

1 person likes this

I dipped on a Rock Sandpiper in Skagit Co., WA. 

First time I was 30 minutes late. 

Second time I was one day late.

Third time the Surfbird flock flushed right when I got there. 

1 person likes this

On 2/28/2017 at 4:30 PM, Snapshotbirder said:

Slaty-backed Gull. Need I say anything more?

I feel you. I haven't chased anything since the Slaty-backed. Would've chased that Ivory Gull if it wasn't a freaking one-day wonder. :angry: Someone saw it in the morning (like 11am) and posted it to Ontario Birds FB group at 1:16pm asking if it was an Ivory Gull. Anyway, I don't think he realized how rare that bird was cuz otherwise he prolly would've posted asking about it as soon as he saw it I'm sure. 

1 person likes this

On 2/25/2017 at 8:08 PM, Greenmagpie said:

I dipped on a Rock Sandpiper in Skagit Co., WA. 

First time I was 30 minutes late. 

Second time I was one day late.

Third time the Surfbird flock flushed right when I got there. 

Rock Sandpipers don't exist. We should just lump them with Purple Sandpipers.

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, darknight said:

Rock Sandpipers don't exist. We should just lump them with Purple Sandpipers.

Lark Sparrows don't exist. We should just lump them with House Sparrows

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Astrobirder said:

Lark Sparrows don't exist. We should just lump them with House Sparrows

1. The two look noting alike.

2. Yes they do.

30900448353_01222e9050.jpgLark Sparrow by Isabel Apkarian, on Flickr

2 people like this

Excuse my ignorance, but in what context are y'all using the word 'dip'?

15 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Excuse my ignorance, but in what context are y'all using the word 'dip'?

Oh, that's just birding slang that means that you missed your bird that you were looking for. Like if you went to chase something really rare for your area but missed it, then you say that you dipped.

1 person likes this

Thanks.  I don't recall ever looking for any one specific bird.  After a week in a computer room, I'm happy just to be out and take whatever shows its feathered head.

1 person likes this