Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Astrobirder

What is your favorite habitat?

What habitat do you like the best? My favorite are the Pine forests of the Southeast and Mid-Atlantic Seaboard (Pine Barrens). They look so cool with the Pines (genus Pinus) having ruler-straight trunks with crooked branches ending in "starbursts" of needles. It's also very interesting to walk through a habitat similar to the one Dinosaurs roamed in and where Birds took their first flights

Great question.  I love the cheniere ridges we have here in south Louisiana.  I love the old gnarled oaks covered in Spanish moss and you are always close to interesting marsh habitat so you never know what you will run into. 

My favorite habitat, not based on the birds present in them, are mountains. Especially during the summer when the forest is lush. Such an awesome place to spend a day, even if you don't see much of interest.

I agree with JimBob. The mountains are my favorite habitat because of the fresh, lush forests, and the high alpine peaks. The air always smells fresh and the wildlife is amazing. 

Swamps and wetlands, even on those days when the only avians I see are the mosquitoes.  I'm with @IvoryBillHope and @S.C. too, as far as marshes go.

The Army gave me plenty of opportunities to be out in the pine forests of the southeastern US.  It's hard to appreciate them on your belly in the sand with chiggers, and harder to see the Red-Cockaded Woodpeckers.  I'll give the military credit; they do a good job these days of protecting endangered wildlife on their reservations.

• Like 1

Neat idea! I hadn't seen this thread earlier.

For favorite birding habitat I'll have to go with riparian oases in a desert or the great plains during migration.

Favorite habitats in general include old growth New England deciduous forests, California coastal redwood forests, and alpine tundra.

• Like 1

My favorite habitat has to be mixed second growth habitat, wet brushy fields and tangles interspersed with bushes and young sycamores adjacent to woodlots and mixed forest. Nothing like getting out in these areas on a brisk autumn morning after fresh rainfall and seeing a cascade of warblers, sparrows, and other migrants.

• Like 1

Oohhh, finally something I can contribute to :P

I have two favorite habitats; freshwater wetlands (marshes, swamps, those kind of things) and open grasslands/fields (I'm super hyped about Pawnee day at CC :D)

• Like 1

For those naming mountains as your favorite habitat; they're not really a habitat. That could mean anything from alpine tundra and mountain meadows to boreal and deciduous forests (like in the Appalachians).

:)

• Like 1

Independent of birding, it would have to be boreal forest and montane bogs, although that may be because I am least familiar with them (don't visit them often). I like the serotinous pitch pine forests of the Pine Barrens, but prefer the cedar-lined swamps and bogs present in the pines. Mature deciduous forests are strikingly beautiful in the fall, so I can't disregard them.

Had to move to one of the more rural parts of MN for work this year and am feeling pretty starved for any kind of nature that isn't farmland or the bare field with a few picnic tables that counts as a park out here haha

Loved the variety of habitats one could explore in the Sonoran Desert around Tucson, AZ. One week wasn't enough to take in the diversity of flora and fauna just in one park. And I mean, seeing a cactus wren peaking out of a hole in a Saguaro is pretty neat

1. Marshes and wetlands :  when the birds aren't there, I can look for the multitudes of dragonflies and damselflies.

2. Mountains : even when the birding is slow, there's nothing better than a day in the mountains. 

3. Meadows and grasslands : I've always loved grassland bird species, and the habitat is great for butterflies, grasshoppers, and other insects. 

4 hours ago, crazed4birds said:

I love salt-marshes and the mountains, because reasons :P 

So you have your highs and lows? :P