Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Snapshotbirder

What are your dream rarities?

Hey everyone, not sure if this has been done before, but I thought it might be fun to share what rarities we dream of finding one day, whether it's dream county or state rarities, or even dreams of finding a first NA record bird! So go ahead, share what vagrants you really want to find (or chase, or whatever the case). For example, my dreams consist of:

Seeing a White-tailed Kite in WA. They've always been one of my favorite birds, and they used to be rather regular winter visitors in WA, even breeding occasionally, but no longer. Now you may see one report per year in the state.

Finding a female vagrant duck. Be it a Garganey, Falcated, or a Baikal, I think it would be an enjoyable challenge to ID one of these birds, especially amongst a large flock of expected species.

Finding a White-tailed Eagle south of AK. With Bald Eagles being the expected species anywhere in NA, few look closely enough to see if the young Bald could really be a young White-tailed, and considering the ID difficulties, it would be a hard find, and imo it wouldn't be shocking if these birds do occur in the lower 48 (or Canada) but go undetected...

So go ahead, share yours!

Mine would probably be a 2nd/3rd-cycle Thayer's Gull on my front lawn. That would be a dream come true. :D 

That's really hard to choose!

Ivory/Ross's Gull are definitely dream birds. Great Gray/Boreal/Northern Hawk Owl would be cool to find too. Again, those are just a few top ones, but really to choose one specifically over others is really difficult haha. 

If we're talking generally super rare/endangered: Spoon-billed Sandpiper.

• Like 1

Oh, if we're talking endangered, I think everyone's dream is the Ivory-billed Woodpecker :lol:

Yeah, for me in North America it would be an Ivory-billed Woodpecker in the southern states and a Ruffed Grouse/Pileated Woodpecker in CO!

4 minutes ago, S.C. said:

Oh, if we're talking endangered, I think everyone's dream is the Ivory-billed Woodpecker :lol:

Oh true I didn't think of that. :P

But as much as I'm one of those people that like to believe there's a few out there, sadly I think they're likely extinct. I mean I'd love to be wrong, but I think the chances are slim.

1 minute ago, The Traveler said:

Oh true I didn't think of that. :P

But as much as I'm one of those people that like to believe there's a few out there, sadly I think they're likely extinct. I mean I'd love to be wrong, but I think the chances are slim.

I daydream all the time of being a Birding hero and finding one in Arkansas or Florida.

I think there's at least 1 out there, but it's probably in an un-birded area.

• Like 1

I would die to have a Costa's Hummingbird come to my feeder for a week or two! 

• Like 1

My dream endangered would probably be a Great Auk perched on top of my house. Or maybe a Bachman's Warbler singing next to my house. 

7 minutes ago, S.C. said:

I daydream all the time of being a Birding hero and finding one in Arkansas or Florida.

I think there's at least 1 out there, but it's probably in an un-birded area.

What birder doesn't daydream of that. :P If there's only 1 out there you can pretty much consider them extinct. Heck, even if there's very few left them they're pretty much extinct. I learned this is in biology class (can't remember what it's called), but there's a certain number of individuals needed for diversity reasons to  keep a healthy population going.

9 minutes ago, NJ Birder said:

My dream endangered would probably be a Great Auk perched on top of my house. Or maybe a Bachman's Warbler singing next to my house. 

8 minutes ago, S.C. said:

What about a flock of 100 Passenger Pigeons flying over your yard?

There's a different between extinct and endangered birds guys.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Traveler said:

What birder doesn't daydream of that. :P If there's only 1 out there you can pretty much consider them extinct. Heck, even if there's very few left them they're pretty much extinct. I learned this is in biology class (can't remember what it's called), but there's a certain number of individuals needed for diversity reasons to  keep a healthy population going.

There's a different between extinct and endangered birds guys.

ok, what about a Kirtland's Warbler perched on top of your feeder.

I need to find a White-tailed Kite in Colorado, since that is arguably our most overdue state bird!

6 minutes ago, S.C. said:

ok, what about a Kirtland's Warbler perched on top of your feeder.

Haha, that would be awesome! I'm hoping to get one at Pelee this year.

On 3/7/2017 at 6:07 PM, Kadynn_H said:

I would die to have a Costa's Hummingbird come to my feeder for a week or two! 

LOL! I get them here year round on my feeder. :P

• Like 1

For me, it is not an extreme rarity, stuff that is highly endangered, I would rather see by traveling to the native range so the bird may still breed.

Likewise, I don't want to see something that is stable in terms of population, but still means the death of the bird. For instance while seeing a Skimmer or Oystercatcher in Ontario would be great, not at the cost of the life of the bird.

So, I guess for me it is something that is both rare and can survive being here - southern US herons like Tricoloured, Little Blue etc in Ontario would be my choice.

Just now, CanadianCodhead said:

So, I guess for me it is something that is both rare and can survive being here - southern US herons like Tricoloured, Little Blue etc in Ontario would be my choice.

If you want those, come down here and look at any lake ;)

Nothing is a rarity here because Idaho gets all the awesomest birds B)

But seriously, I would see a Winter Wren here since I dipped on the 2nd state record and I'm super mad about it. Also seeing some awesome ducks like Tufted Duck or something here would be awesome!

I'd like a Snowy Owl in San Diego county. Hey, we got a Common Redpoll once, and I did see that one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, creeker said:

I'd like a Snowy Owl in San Diego county. Hey, we got a Common Redpoll once, and I did see that one.

I'd like that in Central Florida, too. One was seen in Jacksonville last year, so why not?