Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
guy_incognito

Canon 7D mark ii vs. 80D

guy_incognito    4113

My Canon 7D is getting pretty long in the tooth and in need of replacement.  The main two contenders would be the 7D mark ii versus the 80D.

The natural thought is that the 7Dii would be the better body.  However, the 80D has more megapixels and better dynamic range.  The 7Dii wins out with more focus points, more frames per second, and better weather sealing.

I often am shooting with single point focus on my 7D, so if I continue this practice with a new camera, the additional focus points of the 7Dii isn't really an advantage.  That main points pulling me towards the 80D are more megapixels and better dynamic range.  I've also seen some reviews saying that the 80D has better high ISO performance.

Does anyone have experience with either of these bodies, and preferably both?

Astrobirder    3418

Just looking at your statistics I think 7Dii would be better, especially for the sealing. Megapixels are extremely overrated; they have no real importance aside from determinging how big you can print

lonestranger    2702

I agree that megapixels are highly overrated, but there is an advantage to having more pixels if heavy cropping is needed to emphasize small birds that don't fill the frame. Having said that, I wouldn't base my decision on megapixels alone. I have no experience with either camera, still using a 7D myself, but better dynamic range and better performance with higher ISO would be areas I'd want to improve on. Not to confuse your decision process guy_incognito, but have you considered going full frame with the 6D?  I only ask because I was toying with the idea of an upgrade and was leaning towards the larger pixels of a full frame camera for the improved performance. 

guy_incognito    4113

I agree that megapixels alone aren't a decider, but overall image quality, and the ability to get that image are more important.

I personally haven't thought too much about going full frame.  Doing bird photography, you can never get too much magnification.  I've heard (rightly or wrongly?) that the results from cropping on a full frame may be similar or inferior to the crop sensor, at least in terms of sharpness.  A full frame certainly could be advantageous in low light, though.  However, the 6D gives up performance to either the 7Dii or the 80D in terms of frames per second and autofocus points.  A 5D is a great body, but the price certainly reflects that.

lonestranger    2702

My thinking is similar to your's, guy_incognito, sorta. I too usually only use the centre focus point, so the number of AF points is a low priority for me. While I do enjoy the fast shutter speeds of 8 frames per second on the 7D, I'd be willing to lose a few frames of what are quite often duplicates for better image quality. Like you I worry about losing the magnification of a crop body, but the 100-400ii that I now use is designed for a full frame camera and I can't help but feel like I am short changing the lens by keeping it paired to the 7D. I think what I'd appreciate most about a full frame camera would be the ability to use the higher ISOs that are unusable on the 7D, if you've ever taken a shot at ISO 3200 or 6400 in low light only to get a shutter speed that's still too slow you know what I am talking about. As for cropping full frame images vs having them cropped in the camera, I refer you to someone with experience in both. https://www.whatbird.com/forum/index.php?/topic/153922-canon-7d-good-choice/&do=findComment&comment=936683 Not trying to influence your decision, just sharing thoughts I've had running through my head for far too long.

• Like 1

guy_incognito    4113

Thanks for sharing that link.  Great, I was already confused enough between 80D and 7Dii, now I'm even more confused with 6D in the mix! :lol:

I'm still on the old 100-400.  Ideally what I'd like for a lens upgrade is for Canon to replace the 400 f/5.6, but sadly, I don't think there is even a hint or that being in the works.

My gut has been that a camera body upgrade would be more beneficial than the lens upgrade at this point.

lonestranger    2702

Don't feel bad about being confused when it comes to buying new camera gear, guy_incognito. I started thinking about going full frame long before I bought the 100-400ii back in June. At the time I decided on the IS and the closer minimum focus distance of the new zoom lens over the 400 5.6L that I was using as my best upgrade option. I'm still thinking about going full frame but I'm hesitant to part with any of my current gear in order to finance newer gear. Buying new gear would sure be a lot easier if we could only spend someone else's money instead of our own. :D 

canon eos    621

I've been shooting (birds) with the 6D and a 400L (non-zoom) for over two years. I went from the Canon 550D and while the 80D (and 7D2) are 'newer', they still have the same basic crop sensor as my 550D had. Yes, the newer Canon crops are 'better' but just marginally so in real-life terms.

I was concerned about losing the 1.6 crop factor, but that has been completely alleviated with the performance and RAW file potential of the 6D. I can crop past the 1.6 point and still have more detail, and quality.

I use single point AF and I can still get excellent BIF images.

Joejr14    1820
On 1/31/2017 at 11:09 PM, guy_incognito said:

Thanks for sharing that link.  Great, I was already confused enough between 80D and 7Dii, now I'm even more confused with 6D in the mix! :lol:

I'm still on the old 100-400.  Ideally what I'd like for a lens upgrade is for Canon to replace the 400 f/5.6, but sadly, I don't think there is even a hint or that being in the works.

My gut has been that a camera body upgrade would be more beneficial than the lens upgrade at this point.

Just upgrade to this and call it a day:

https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-500mm-f-4-5-l-usm-ef-mount-lens-gel-canon-500mm-f-4-5-l-usm-ef-mount-lens-gel.html

But seriously - you'll see a much better improvement in your photos by upgrading the lens as opposed to the camera body. 

guy_incognito    4113
40 minutes ago, Joejr14 said:

But seriously - you'll see a much better improvement in your photos by upgrading the lens as opposed to the camera body. 

Oh, you think upgrading from the old 100-400 to the new 100-400 would be better than upgrading the body?  I am ambivalent between a body or lens upgrade.  A friend thought a body upgrade might be more beneficial for me.

I'd like to upgrade both, but then I am looking at ~$3500.

Joejr14    1820

If your sole (or main) purpose of the lens is for birding why opt for the 100-400?  It's not a birding lens, and your IQ would likely dramatically upgrade with a prime lens.  Of course, I understand that not everyone wants to be tied down to a 6lb lens....but sometimes the sacrifice for the photos is worth it!

lonestranger    2702
8 hours ago, guy_incognito said:

Oh, you think upgrading from the old 100-400 to the new 100-400 would be better than upgrading the body?  I am ambivalent between a body or lens upgrade.  A friend thought a body upgrade might be more beneficial for me.

I'd like to upgrade both, but then I am looking at ~$3500.

I'm not sure that upgrading to the new 100-400ii would be that much of an upgrade for you guy_incognito, but upgrading to the 500 f/4.5 that Joejr14 suggested might be another story. After all, getting closer is one of the best ways to improve our photos. As if upgrading wasn't confusing enough, now you've got focal length to add to the confusion. Personally, I think I'd have to go with the longer lens that Joejr14 suggested, if I had your money to spend. Since I currently don't have any money for more camera gear, I'll just watch how you spend your's. :P

guy_incognito    4113
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 6:26 PM, Joejr14 said:

If your sole (or main) purpose of the lens is for birding why opt for the 100-400?  It's not a birding lens, and your IQ would likely dramatically upgrade with a prime lens.  Of course, I understand that not everyone wants to be tied down to a 6lb lens....but sometimes the sacrifice for the photos is worth it!

Exactly, I'd like a prime.  But as I mentioned before, there seems to be no new 400 mm f/5.6 in the foreseeable future.

While that 500 mm f/4.5 will surely produce very nice images, I just don't think it fits into my style of birding and photography.  First, I am not what I'd call a bird photographer.  While they are not mutually exclusive, I am more of a birder.  By this I mean that my main focus is usually finding birds, and am therefore moving around over long distances for long periods of time.  I don't carry a tripod, and don't want to be weighed down.  A 3 kg lens with no IS doesn't seem like a great fit.  In addition, I like to photograph dragonflies, so a 5 meter minimum focus distance is a deal breaker.