Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

    • Bigfoot

      Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

      'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
Liam&Kara

lens buget arounf $2k

Recommended Posts

Liam&Kara    132

i currently use an f4 300mm nikkor prime lens and im looking for something with more reach while still maintaining picture quality. Right now im thinking the Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6E ed vr for $1800 or sigma sports 150-600 f/5-6.3 dg os hsm for $2500. Im looking for suggestions from people with experience with these or similar lenses they might recommend. Im also thinking i can save a bit of money and just buy the 1.4 teleconverter for my 300mm for 500 bucks. I use a D7000.

thanks

Liam

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joejr14    1820

I'll sell you my Nikon 600mm AFS II for $4500?

Based on the above options I'd go with the Nikon 200-500mm.  For around that price range you can also keep an eye out for a used Sigma 500mm f/4.5, which is what I had before bumping up to the 600mm Nikon.  It was absolutely tack sharp, but did NOT like teleconverters. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
roadcykler    121

I've been doing a lot of reading recently about this very subject and based on that, I would recommend a Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm. There are also a few very good sites where you can buy used lenses at a significant savings. I had a smaller Sigma that worked very well and I'd guess their longer lenses would be just as good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jeasolar    1

I have fairly good luck with my Tamron 150-600 G2 for about $1400 new. It's fairly sharp if you get close enough. I'm almost always at 600mm for small birds with an APS-C sensor (Nikon D500) for small birds but do need the zoom when an Eagle flys by. I'd probably buy a Nikon 500mm F4 if I could afford it but need to rent one sometime to see if I could hand hold it. I have trouble with a tripod re-pointing quickly and upwards, especially for birds in flight. 

DSC_3294.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bird Brain    4196
55 minutes ago, jeasolar said:

I have fairly good luck with my Tamron 150-600 G2 for about $1400 new. It's fairly sharp if you get close enough. I'm almost always at 600mm for small birds with an APS-C sensor (Nikon D500) for small birds but do need the zoom when an Eagle flys by. I'd probably buy a Nikon 500mm F4 if I could afford it but need to rent one sometime to see if I could hand hold it. I have trouble with a tripod re-pointing quickly and upwards, especially for birds in flight. 

DSC_3294.jpg

Nice shot!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joejr14    1820
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:06 PM, jeasolar said:

I'd probably buy a Nikon 500mm F4 if I could afford it but need to rent one sometime to see if I could hand hold it. I have trouble with a tripod re-pointing quickly and upwards, especially for birds in flight. 

 

I have the Nikon 600mm f/4 FL and the majority of the shots I've taken thusfar (6 months) have been handheld. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LauraC    80

Like the original poster I'm in the same 7000 series Nikon. I am looking for a lens for my D7200 with 500mm max (600mm max would be okay too if it isn't much heavier).  The lens I use now DX AF-S Nikkor 55 - 300mm 4.5 - 5.6G ED VR isn't cutting it for some birds due to their size/distance.  

I get confused as to whether the lens ads I see are compatible with a DX camera especially when the customer reviewers talk about their Canons or their Nikon FX cameras.  Also, do I need something additional to mount it on my camera?  I've never used any lens other than Nikon but I'd be willing to entertain a Sigma if I knew I didn't have to add anything to the camera to mount the lens.  Looking for something less than $2,000. I handhold everything and mostly take bird photos from my car's open window due to leg issues and will continue to do so.  Primarily looking to use it in refuges.

I don't mean to horn in on another person's thread but I'm thinking since they have the same series camera it might be helpful info for them, too.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joejr14    1820
2 hours ago, LauraC said:

Like the original poster I'm in the same 7000 series Nikon. I am looking for a lens for my D7200 with 500mm max (600mm max would be okay too if it isn't much heavier).  The lens I use now DX AF-S Nikkor 55 - 300mm 4.5 - 5.6G ED VR isn't cutting it for some birds due to their size/distance.  

I get confused as to whether the lens ads I see are compatible with a DX camera especially when the customer reviewers talk about their Canons or their Nikon FX cameras.  Also, do I need something additional to mount it on my camera?  I've never used any lens other than Nikon but I'd be willing to entertain a Sigma if I knew I didn't have to add anything to the camera to mount the lens.  Looking for something less than $2,000. I handhold everything and mostly take bird photos from my car's open window due to leg issues and will continue to do so.  Primarily looking to use it in refuges.

I don't mean to horn in on another person's thread but I'm thinking since they have the same series camera it might be helpful info for them, too.

 

 

Are you looking for a zoom or fixed focal length lens?  Anything fixed focal length is going to be tough on a $2k budget, but the picture quality will be exponentially better then the 55-300mm lens you're shooting with (with btw is horrible for bird photography).

 

If you want a zoom I'd get a Nikon 200-500mm and not look back.  It's a very sharp lens and would be a good choice with your current camera.

 

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-200-500mm-f-5-6-e-af-s-ed-vr-autofocus-lens-95-1.html

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joejr14    1820

And btw....Nikon lenses are totally interchangeable on bodies--IE you can use an 'FX' lens on a DX body and vice versa.  The issue with using a DX lens on a Nikon FX body is that the lens won't cover the full camera sensor so it sort of defeats the purpose.

In general the FX lenses are the better more 'professional' lenses (not in all cases)....but you're free to use any FX lens on a DX body without any sort of converters or anything being required.

Likewise if you decide to buy a Sigma or Tamron just make sure you purchase one in the Nikon mount.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LauraC    80
19 hours ago, Joejr14 said:

 

Are you looking for a zoom or fixed focal length lens?  Anything fixed focal length is going to be tough on a $2k budget, but the picture quality will be exponentially better then the 55-300mm lens you're shooting with (with btw is horrible for bird photography).

 

If you want a zoom I'd get a Nikon 200-500mm and not look back.  It's a very sharp lens and would be a good choice with your current camera.

 

https://www.keh.com/shop/nikon-200-500mm-f-5-6-e-af-s-ed-vr-autofocus-lens-95-1.html

It's actually okay for some local bird photography. Both below were taken with that lens on one of my 7000 series cameras.  I do want zoom.  Thank you for your suggestion.  I'm going to research it this weekend.

i-wR5NDrk.jpgi-cHcjqJb.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LauraC    80
19 hours ago, Joejr14 said:

And btw....Nikon lenses are totally interchangeable on bodies--IE you can use an 'FX' lens on a DX body and vice versa.  The issue with using a DX lens on a Nikon FX body is that the lens won't cover the full camera sensor so it sort of defeats the purpose.

In general the FX lenses are the better more 'professional' lenses (not in all cases)....but you're free to use any FX lens on a DX body without any sort of converters or anything being required.

Likewise if you decide to buy a Sigma or Tamron just make sure you purchase one in the Nikon mount.

Thanks so much for this info.  I did not know I could use an FX lens on a DX body.  That clears up that issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joejr14    1820

Yep, I've been mainly using my Nikon 600mm f/4 FL (FX lens) on my D500 for a lot of bird photography this year.  I was in Yellowstone a few months back and switched back and forth between the D500 and my D800.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×