Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Tclarkwood    47

I noticed this warm weekend that we had in the 70s has started some bluebird activity. They are checking out the bluebird boxes in my yard and the neighborhood. I suppose this extremely warm weather has them thinking that we are in April instead of February! 

zoey27    67

Wow!  Should I put my BB house back out?  I keep it in the garage over winter.  If I wait, I might get chickadees again.  NO bluebirds last year!  I'm in central SC.

Tclarkwood    47

My bluebirds didn't make it last year because something kept killing the chicks.  I'm going to put my box on a baffled pole this year to see if that will help.  I think the bluebirds in our region have been known to start building nests as early as April. 

• Like 1

ruthcatrin    548

Saw my first ones today!  Cleaned out and closed up the boxes, though I don't expect them to settle into nesting for at least a couple more months.

• Like 1

Tclarkwood    47

My pair have just started adding some pine straw this weekend.  They seemed to like the box mounted on the pole rather than mounted to the tree. They prefer 360 degree line of sight over the 180 degrees they get with the box being mounted on the tree. I also added a rodent/snake baffle to the pole.  I'll send a picture of it.  The funniest thing is they actually started landing on it and going into it within 30 minutes of me putting it up.  Like they were waiting on me to improve it!  Hilarious! 

• Like 1

Chaseman    1578
23 hours ago, Shelton said:

How to keep sparrows from occupying all the bluebird boxes

Keeping them away long enough to let the Bluebirds build their nest is a problem.  Going to try and attach a link to a Sparrow Spooker.  You could try putting one up before the Bluebirds nest, but not sure if that will work.  Assume you are talking about House Sparrows, and I am so thankful we don't have them around here.

http://www.sialis.org/sparrowspooker.htm

• Like 1

Tclarkwood    47

Thanks for posting that Chaseman... I am wondering if the birds that killed my baby bluebirds last year could have been House Wrens?  I have a ton of Carolina Wrens but I guess they don't pillage bluebird boxes like the House Wren does.   I have not seen any HOSP on my property but I know we have a lot of them in the city.  I will try to watch closely again this year to see if any other bird goes into my bluebird boxes.  I had a Downy try to start using a tiny little chickadee house I have in the front yard!  Her head was hanging out of the entry hole while she was sitting in the house!  It was hilarious... I have to get a decent camera one day!