• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
greatroadrunner

I am making a bird list and could use some help or feedback

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have a "Backyard Birds" poster by Sibley and I want to do something similar but I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not.

This is what I have so far: List of common birds.  

Are there any birds you think I should add to this? Is this useful or interesting to you?

Thank you in advance,

roadrunner

1 person likes this

Welcome to whatbird!!

Nice list. I think you have a cool idea.

Here are some Birds I'd like to suggest you add to it:

1. Brown-headed Cowbird
  2. Red-winged Blackbird
  3. Chipping Sparrow
  4. American Robin
  5. Song Sparrow
  6. White Ibis (for the SE)
  7. Sandhill Crane (for FL)

Welcome to Whatbird!  I agree with S. C. on which birds to add except White Ibis because that's not a "common" bird, it's only common on the SE American coast line, also there are a few mis ID's on that list.  

Yellow Warbler is actually a Prothonotary Warbler. 

Western Tanager is actually a Saffron Finch.

Orange Crowned Warbler is actually a Robin. 

Pine Warbler is actually a Yellow-Rumped Warbler.

And the Gyrfalcon isn't a Gyrfalcon ( i'm not sure which raptor he is ) 

36 minutes ago, Critter_Crazy said:

Welcome to Whatbird!  I agree with S. C. on which birds to add except White Ibis because that's not a "common" bird, it's only common on the SE American coast line, also there are a few mis ID's on that list.  

Yellow Warbler is actually a Prothonotary Warbler. 

Western Tanager is actually a Saffron Finch.

Orange Crowned Warbler is actually a Robin. 

Pine Warbler is actually a Yellow-Rumped Warbler.

And the Gyrfalcon isn't a Gyrfalcon ( i'm not sure which raptor he is ) 

And just to add to this, I'm pretty sure the Broad-tailed Hummingbird is an Allen's Hummingbird.

Also, some of these birds are really stretching the notion of common. Numbers 7, 8 and 9 haven't been recorded in the ABA area (US and Canada, which most Birders on this site use as a boundary line for familiar birds) and I'm pretty sure they haven't been recorded north of Panama. Number 19 (Common Kingfisher) is only common in the Old World (Eurasia, recorded once in Cuba as a vagrant), while a majority of the birds on the poster are residents of be Americas. 50-65 has a handful of species repeating twice, with Cook's Petrel being rare off California and the Southern Royal Albatross not recorded in the US and Canada as far as I know. There are quite a few other inaccuracies but I don't want to appear as nitpicky. Basically, you have to stick with one region to have common Birds, since if you were to do common birds of the world you would wind up getting over 7000 species (out of the +10000 known) on a poster, which would be more than unwieldy. Birds very common to one place are very rare in others. I would recommend doing a poster of birds common to your general area first (which would give you 100-400 species depending where in the US and Canada you are), then work piecemeal on other regions (SoCal, Northeast, Texas, etc.) if you want to continue with the poster format. In all honesty if you're this interested in birds, to the point you did all this work on something like this (I'm guilty of doing it too :P ), I think you should invest in a field guide and a pair of binoculars, go to your local park and start birding.

I'm sorry if I came across as a critic. If I did, here is a funny bird photo.

11 hours ago, Critter_Crazy said:

Welcome to Whatbird!  I agree with S. C. on which birds to add except White Ibis because that's not a "common" bird, it's only common on the SE American coast line,

It's common in backyards also. I've seen as many as 40 in backyards before. And I agree with your IDs.

Wow, thank you guys for the response. I appreciate the criticism, you make some very good points Astrobirder - and that pigeon is making a big mistake by jumping off that ledge head first without his safety flying goggles! I will add (and change) some of the birds as suggested and will update the thread when I am done. Regarding the geographic aspect of 'commonness' I think I may end up trying to break the list into several smaller lists, but that may take me a bit longer..  Hope everyone is having a good weekend!