Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
albur18

Waterfowl SW PA

Colorado Owl    886

The Red-breasted Merganser is a Common Merganser and the Hooded Merganser appears to be an odd hybrid -- definitely has some goldeneye in it, perhaps the other parent is a Hooded Merganser?

• Like 2

albur18    109
6 minutes ago, Colorado Owl said:

The Red-breasted Merganser is a Common Merganser and the Hooded Merganser appears to be an odd hybrid -- definitely has some goldeneye in it, perhaps the other parent is a Hooded Merganser?

Ok so I'm not delusional, definitely I had female common merganser and on the other I was thinking female common goldeneye with maybe the bird in an odd mood so that the head feathers are raised at that moment?  The bill still seems ok for a pure common goldeneye I think?  Dont know if that hybrid combo has ever been documented?

NJ Birder    283

It sure does look like a hybrid of some sorts. How about Gadwall x Hooded Merganser? I'm thinking a drake Gadwall could've hybridized with a hen Hooded Merganser because the overall bill and body shape looks good for Hooded Merganser, but the coloration of the plumage, along with the white patch on it's side, look very Gadwall-like. 

• Like 2

Jimmyos    40
14 minutes ago, NJ Birder said:

It sure does look like a hybrid of some sorts. How about Gadwall x Hooded Merganser? I'm thinking a drake Gadwall could've hybridized with a hen Hooded Merganser because the overall bill and body shape looks good for Hooded Merganser, but the coloration of the plumage, along with the white patch on it's side, look very Gadwall-like. 

I thought the same thing initially, but can't find any other pictures that looks similiar. On the other hand, the suggestion of goldeneye made me think Bufflehead, and Hooded Merganser x Bufflehead pulls up a few results that match in many ways. What do you guys think?

4224156042_d44977e1d5.jpg

NJ Birder    283
4 minutes ago, Jimmyos said:

I thought the same thing initially, but can't find any other pictures that looks similiar. On the other hand, the suggestion of goldeneye made me think Bufflehead, and Hooded Merganser x Bufflehead pulls up a few results that match in many ways. What do you guys think?

4224156042_d44977e1d5.jpg

It's quite possible; you never truly know with hybrids, especially one like this. 

• Like 1

Short-eared Owl    1418

Good catch! 

I flagged the photos on eBird.

They won't appear on eBird media after this, and it notifies the data reviewer who will then contact the person and get it fixed. I can do this for any misidentified photos on eBird, so feel free to tell me if anyone ever finds some. (yeah, I have special powers on eBird;)

• Like 3

Sean C.    1673

The Hooded Merganser i think is a Goldeneye.

and the other Merganser is a Common Merganser.

• Like 1

albur18    109
3 hours ago, Short-eared Owl said:

Good catch! 

I flagged the photos on eBird.

They won't appear on eBird media after this, and it notifies the data reviewer who will then contact the person and get it fixed. I can do this for any misidentified photos on eBird, so feel free to tell me if anyone ever finds some. (yeah, I have special powers on eBird;)

I saw the option to "report" the photos, but the only option for reason for reporting was "offensive or inappropriate content".  Is this what you did or do you have additional options through Ebird?

Short-eared Owl    1418
1 minute ago, albur18 said:

I saw the option to "report" the photos, but the only option for reason for reporting was "offensive or inappropriate content".  Is this what you did or do you have additional options through Ebird?

No, I have really do have "special powers" on eBird. At the end of 2016 I got an email from eBird giving me these powers:D

This is copied from the email: 

We hope you’ve had a fun and bird-filled 2016! We’d like to extend a heartfelt thanks from eBird for all that you do. By submitting at least 365 complete checklists in 2016, you are among eBird’s most valuable contributors. Your commitment to eBird is hugely appreciated, and we look forward to seeing you continue to submit lots of data in 2017.

For more than a decade, eBird has built its data quality process on a combination of automated data processing by computers and human intelligence; leveraging the strengths of both to create the most comprehensive data quality system available in a citizen-science project. That process is now evolving, moving in the direction of harnessing the power of our community to help vet the millions of bird records now coming in to eBird each month—community review.

As a dedicated user of eBird, you have earned the chance to participate in this developing process. You are now granted access to our community review process through the end of 2017. This process allows you to flag media as misidentified when you come across it on eBird checklists, or through the Explore Photos and Sounds tool. 

All that happens is there are two report options open to me: the inappropriate, and "wrong species"  when I click "wrong species" a box opens and I enter in the right name. :)

• Like 1

Sean C.    1673
11 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

No, I have really do have "special powers" on eBird. At the end of 2016 I got an email from eBird giving me these powers:D

We hope you’ve had a fun and bird-filled 2016! We’d like to extend a heartfelt thanks from eBird for all that you do. By submitting at least 365 complete checklists in 2016, you are among eBird’s most valuable contributors. Your commitment to eBird is hugely appreciated, and we look forward to seeing you continue to submit lots of data in 2017.

For more than a decade, eBird has built its data quality process on a combination of automated data processing by computers and human intelligence; leveraging the strengths of both to create the most comprehensive data quality system available in a citizen-science project. That process is now evolving, moving in the direction of harnessing the power of our community to help vet the millions of bird records now coming in to eBird each month—community review.

As a dedicated user of eBird, you have earned the chance to participate in this developing process. You are now granted access to our community review process through the end of 2017. This process allows you to flag media as misidentified when you come across it on eBird checklists, or through the Explore Photos and Sounds tool. 

All that happens is there are two report options open to me: the inappropriate, and "wrong species"  when I click "wrong species" a box opens and I enter in the right name. :)

WOW. does that mean if I send in 365 Species this year, do I get that power? :o

• Like 1

Short-eared Owl    1418
3 hours ago, S.C. said:

WOW. does that mean if I send in 365 Species this year, do I get that power? :o

365 or more Checklists, not species. I don't know if it is an every year thing or just 2016 but I bet you would! :)

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

@Short-eared Owl  We keep a long list of eBird checklists with incorrect IDs...would you mind if we PM you the checklists for you to report? :)

Sure! As long as there is a photo I can fix it! :)

• Like 1

chiccadee    6790

For what it's worth, I agree with Common Goldeneye X Hooded Merganser for the "trouble" bird, although I'm sure the eBird reviewer will swoop in with a better prognosis. COGO X HOME also seems to be a relatively frequent hybrid. 

Definitely could see it as BUFF X COGO as well, though.

The bird in question:

medium

Common Goldeneye X Hooded Merganser

Image result for hooded merganser hybrid

from 

https://www.flickr.com/groups/444365@N25/discuss/72157623781281079/

albur18    109
8 minutes ago, chiccadee said:

For what it's worth, I agree with Common Goldeneye X Hooded Merganser for the "trouble" bird, although I'm sure the eBird reviewer will swoop in with a better prognosis. COGO X HOME also seems to be a relatively frequent hybrid. 

Definitely could see it as BUFF X COGO as well, though.

The bird in question:

medium

Common Goldeneye X Hooded Merganser

Image result for hooded merganser hybrid

from 

https://www.flickr.com/groups/444365@N25/discuss/72157623781281079/

Interesting that the hybrid combo is well known, but as I suspected, it looks like the hybrid bird has an intermediate bill, longer and thinner than a pure common goldeneye.  The bird in question in the checklist has a bill that by shape, seems to fit COGO.  What is it particularly that is making everyone think this is a hybrid at all?

• Like 1

chiccadee    6790
Just now, albur18 said:

Interesting that the hybrid combo is well known, but as I suspected, it looks like the hybrid bird has an intermediate bill, longer and thinner than a pure common goldeneye.  The bird in question in the checklist has a bill that by shape, seems to fit COGO.  What is it particularly that is making everyone think this is a hybrid at all?

The bill on goldeneyes is rather triangular-shaped, while it is slim on this bird, suggesting a parent like a merganser or as someone suggested, a Bufflehead. It also has a high forehead and a petite shape. The  color pattern is off for Common Goldeneye at this time of the year as well. 

comparison

Image result for female common goldeneyehttp://www.gobirding.eu/Photos/Goldeneye.php

medium

Yknow, the more I look at this bird, the more it looks like a wooden decoy.  ;-) 

albur18    109

Ok thanks for the clarification.  I see now that the bill appears too fine for a pure COGO.

Here is another shot of a COGO x HOME,

http://www.nemesisbird.com/birding/bird-sightings/common-goldeneye-x-hooded-merganser-hybrid-presque-isle-sp-pa/

however it still isnt quite right both with bill size and plumage, which has me thinking maybe a COGO x HOME backcrossed with a pure COGO?

psweet    7820

It's worth remembering that hybrids are likely to show quite a bit of variation, even in structure.

JimB    1526

Here's my photo of a COGO x HOME. Don't know if it will help or add to the confusion but I thought I'd throw it in here.

p923922582-4.jpg

• Like 4

Astrobirder    3422
On 2/17/2017 at 1:40 PM, Short-eared Owl said:

I can do the same thing (very likely for the same reason), but never go the email

Sean C.    1673
On 2/17/2017 at 4:47 PM, Short-eared Owl said:

365 or more Checklists, not species. I don't know if it is an every year thing or just 2016 but I bet you would! :)

Thanks for the correction, I meant "checklists". I've never entered in 365+ "Total" checklists before. That's so cool!

• Like 1

Short-eared Owl    1418
30 minutes ago, S.C. said:

Thanks for the correction, I meant "checklists". I've never entered in 365+ "Total" checklists before. That's so cool!

Yeah... I wish I had submitted +365 species in 2016! :D

• Like 1