Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Astrobirder

Plant Identification Thread

Since the mods haven't put up a subforum for this, why not make a thread for it?

Simply post a photo (with the date and time) and if you know it quote the person and say what it is

Edit: to emphasis:

PLEASE POST THE DATE, TIME, LOCATION AND AS MANY PHOTOS AS POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY OF THE LEAVES

• Like 5

I am pretty sure that only Bigfoot can add a sub-topic like that, I cannot find a way to do it.  If you would like him to add one under the "Wildlife of North America" subsection send him a message and he may make one.

23 minutes ago, jhauser42 said:

I am pretty sure that only Bigfoot can add a sub-topic like that, I cannot find a way to do it.  If you would like him to add one under the "Wildlife of North America" subsection send him a message and he may make one.

A poll was made years ago, and people have sent him messages with no luck so that's why this has been made. 

Thanks for trying to make one though! 

Plant lovers unite! ;)

If I knew how I would be happy to but it seems that I do not have access to that function.  Good luck with this thread.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jhauser42 said:

If I knew how I would be happy to but it seems that I do not have access to that function.  Good luck with this thread.

Too bad.:(

Thanks. I have high hopes for this thread.

(Of course, we now have five posts and nobody has even tried to talk about plants yet. :lol:

7 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

From what I see it looks like a Bladder Campion (Silene cucubalus) 

Oh, thank you, thank you!!  You actually solved two mysteries for me by identifying this one plant!

3 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Oh, thank you, thank you!!  You actually solved two mysteries for me by identifying this one plant!

:D:D!!!!

What is the other mystery? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Just now, Short-eared Owl said:

:D:D!!!!

What is the other mystery? :ph34r:

It was just another very similar wildflower.  I looked up the Bladder Campion and the other one came up.

• Like 1

Just now, The Bird Nuts said:

It was just another very similar wildflower.  I looked up the Bladder Campion and the other one came up.

Awesome! 

Do you by any chance have the peterson field guide to wildflowers?

Just now, Short-eared Owl said:

Awesome! 

Do you by any chance have the peterson field guide to wildflowers?

Not that I know of.  Didn't know they had one!  Guess I'd better go buy it, huh?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Not that I know of.  Didn't know they had one!  Guess I'd better go buy it, huh?

Yup! 

The peterson field guides are almost mind blowing. I like the older ones that were actually written with/by him better. 

For the list click THIS

• Like 1

Here's another wildflower from VT I can't seem to figure out.  I think part of the reason I'm having so much trouble is because I don't have any shots of the leaves.  This photo was taken in September of 2011 and I remember that the flower was extremely small.  The closest I could find were prairie clovers, but I'm not sure if any of them occur in Vermont. It is such a cool flower with the yellow and purple, but I wish I knew what it was!  Any ideas?  Thanks!!

33169588901_fcc5b9c022_c.jpgWildflower for ID by The Bird Nuts, on Flickr

• Like 1

No leaves...oh brother. 

That is a very cool flower! I'm not sure I can ID it, but I will do my best! 

Do you know the general shape of the plant? (single stalk like white clover or branching? More than one flower or was that the only one? Any descriptions of habitat would help too.) 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

No leaves...oh brother. 

That is a very cool flower! I'm not sure I can ID it, but I will do my best! 

Do you know the general shape of the plant? (single stalk like white clover or branching? More than one flower or was that the only one? Any descriptions of habitat would help too.)

Sorry, I don't remember much about the shape of the plant other than that it was very low to the ground and tiny (but its growth could have been stunted because it was in the middle of our mowed lawn).  I think the habitat was the driest area in our yard; barely anything would grow there.  I think there were some wild strawberries, pussytoes, violets, and eyebright there, but very little grass.

Thanks for trying to help me!

• Like 1

Here's a Tree I need help with. They were about 10ft tall, and the leaves were about 2in long. It was in a forest in Queens

Plants of Alley Pond Park

@The Bird Nuts  Do you know if your plant creeping/mat-like or single stem?

Best I have found so far is phlox/collomia/Kenilworth Ivy stuff which is not right but starting to look a little tiny bit similar. I can't believe it is this hard to find a plant with such distinctive purple/yellow flowers. But it is.;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

Do you know if your plant creeping/mat-like or single stem?

No.....I don't..... :(  I found some photos of that patch in my yard, if that would help at all...

Thanks again for trying to help!  (I'm out of likes!)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

@The Bird Nuts  Do you know if your plant creeping/mat-like or single stem?

Best I have found so far is phlox/collomia/Kenilworth Ivy stuff which is not right but starting to look a little tiny bit similar. I can't believe it is this hard to find a plant with such distinctive purple/yellow flowers. But it is.;)

This one is tough! Closest I have is Burmannia Bicolor.

7 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

No.....I don't..... :(  I found some photos of that patch in my yard, if that would help at all...

Thanks again for trying to help!  (I'm out of likes!)

You said the flowers were extremely small, like pinkie nail small?

2 minutes ago, NobleBunny said:

You said the flowers were extremely small, like pinkie nail small?

I don't remember too well, but I think it might have been about that or maybe a tiny bit larger than my pinkie nail.  I'm thinking about the size of a pussytoes flower.  Thanks for helping out!