Jump to content
Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

    • Bigfoot

      Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

      'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Astrobirder

Plant Identification Thread

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Here's another wildflower from VT I can't seem to figure out.  I think part of the reason I'm having so much trouble is because I don't have any shots of the leaves.  This photo was taken in September of 2011 and I remember that the flower was extremely small.  The closest I could find were prairie clovers, but I'm not sure if any of them occur in Vermont. It is such a cool flower with the yellow and purple, but I wish I knew what it was!  Any ideas?  Thanks!!

ldflower for ID by The Bird Nuts, on Flickr

I thought I had it with "dalea formosa" but those only grow around Texas! Ugh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NobleBunny said:

I thought I had it with "dalea formosa" but those only grow around Texas! Ugh!

Yeah, that's the closest I found as well.. :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NobleBunny said:

See if this works for you:  Laurel Cherry, 'prunus caroliniana'

They aren't in range, and the leaves are smaller and more ridged in my mystery plant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

4 hours ago, NobleBunny said:

I thought I had it with "dalea formosa" but those only grow around Texas! Ugh!

 

4 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yeah, that's the closest I found as well.. :mellow:

Oh, no! You did too? That's three of us...:mellow:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Astrobirder said:

They aren't in range, and the leaves are smaller and more ridged in my mystery plant

Oops! 

How about Common Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

Oops! 

How about Common Laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) ?

 

The leaf seems to match, so I guess that's what it is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colorado Owl said:

Oh, man this thread is going to be useful! Here's a starter. Photographed near Boulder, CO. Don't have a clue. Thanks!

33159173492_d70ece35e5_k.jpgDSCN9359 by Bushong Nature Guides, on Flickr

Strikes me as Marrubium vulgare.

 

For those interested, iNaturalist is a great website for getting organisms of any sort identified. Sometimes takes a while, but there's people from all over the country that are usually familiar with local species. I use that and CalFlora for most of my plant IDs, though the latter is obviously focused heavily on California.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Colorado Owl said:

Also, how about these cones? Spruce? Photographed in the mountains of CO. Thanks!

33314782165_6fcf75d2e9_k.jpgDSCN9664 by Bushong Nature Guides, on Flickr

33186843981_640e5b048b_k.jpgDSCN9792 by Bushong Nature Guides, on Flickr

If I had to guess I'd say Engelmann Spruce, but I'm not positive. Confident they're spruce, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On March 7, 2017 at 7:05 PM, Colorado Owl said:

Also, how about these cones? Spruce? Photographed in the mountains of CO. Thanks!

DSCN9664 by Bushong Nature Guides, on Flickr

DSCN9792 by Bushong Nature Guides, on Flickr

 

23 hours ago, JimBob said:

If I had to guess I'd say Engelmann Spruce, but I'm not positive. Confident they're spruce, though.

Engelmann Spruce is what I was thinking as well.

 

Also, when did you photograph the first plant? Didn't strike me as anything in the mint family, but it could just be the unhealthy-looking state that it's in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI to all posters- and maybe Astro can edit the main post- but please include date, location, and as many photos of the plant as you can, especially leaves. (I know I'm rehashing the bird ID, but...) It also helps to mention habitat type too.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As this thread seems to be very popular I did ask Bigfoot to add a new sub-forum for plants.  I have no idea if he will do it, but I can not think of any good reasons not to.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Saphine said:

FYI to all posters- and maybe Astro can edit the main post- but please include date, location, and as many photos of the plant as you can, especially leaves. (I know I'm rehashing the bird ID, but...) It also helps to mention habitat type too.

Adding now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I cannot create the new sub-forum for you I did just pin it so it stays at the top of the off topic forum and can easily be found.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few more. All of them were on Memorial Day Weekend last year (2016) in the Catskills Mountains, New York

 

1. I have no clue. On a mountain slope 

?

2. One of those evil Hawthorns which make Empids look easy. This one was in an open understory on a mountain slope

Crataegus sp.

3. Another evil Hawthorn. Not too far from 2 in the same habitat

Crataegus sp.

4. Close to 2 and 3 in the same habitat. I identified it as a Cockspur Hawthorn (Cretaegus crus-galli)

Cockspur Hawthorn (Crataegus crus-galli)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Astrobirder said:

I have a few more. All of them were on Memorial Day Weekend last year (2016) in the Catskills Mountains, New York

 

1. I have no clue. On a mountain slope 

 

2. One of those evil Hawthorns which make Empids look easy. This one was in an open understory on a mountain slope

3. Another evil Hawthorn. Not too far from 2 in the same habitat

4. Close to 2 and 3 in the same habitat. I identified it as a Cockspur Hawthorn (Cretaegus crus-galli)

 

 

1.This looks like an American Mountain Ash (Sorbus americana)

(There is a very small change it is a European M. A. but if you were in a fairly natural area I would doubt it. It also looks more like an americana

I know it is a hawthorn, more I can not tell. Are there even any field guides that have all of them? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

1.This looks like an American Mountain Ash (Sorbus americana)

(There is a very small change it is a European M. A. but if you were in a fairly natural area I would doubt it. It also looks more like an americana

I know it is a hawthorn, more I can not tell. Are there even any field guides that have all of them? 

The area is natural but slightly altered (the side of an abandoned mountain road), so it's more likely an American

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, DavidT said:

 

Engelmann Spruce is what I was thinking as well.

 

Also, when did you photograph the first plant? Didn't strike me as anything in the mint family, but it could just be the unhealthy-looking state.

I was thinking Engelmann on the second, but the first cone was about an inch, while the second was around three inches. 

I photographed the first a few weeks ago on the edge of a prairie dog colony in Louisville, CO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@The Bird Nuts I haven't forgotten about that plant. I requested a lot more wildflower books from the library. (The seven that I have currently are not enough)  In the meantime I am obsessing about it to an extent which is actually starting to worry me. :lol: :wacko: 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

@The Bird Nuts I haven't forgotten about that plant. I requested a lot more wildflower books from the library. (The seven that I have currently are not enough)  In the meantime I am obsessing about it to an extent which is actually starting to worry me. :lol: :wacko: 

@The Bird Nuts Is this the only pic that you have of this plant or the area it is growing in? @Short-eared Owl.....LOL! I hear ya.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×