Whatbird Community Board
The Bird Nuts

Bird Art by Bird Nut #1

How's this for a neighborhood/yard yearlist?  I am hand-drawing every species we see in our neighborhood this year.  I color them on a computer program then print them out, stick them to pieces of cardboard, then tack them to the board.

33423157606_787e14c487_b.jpg

• Like 9

17 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I woke up too early yesterday, but I had a hard time getting back to sleep because this idea popped into my head, so I got up and painted it!

33057591090_541b65fc4f_z.jpg

Very nice! I love it!

What computer program are you using to color your neighborhood/yard birds?

3 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Very nice! I love it!

What computer program are you using to color your neighborhood/yard birds?

Thanks, HamRHead!  I use Microsoft Digital Image..a rather old program. :)

Thanks. I used to have a simple program...It might have been Paint Shop Pro. I think it got stranded back around Windows 95 or 98. I would love to find something similar.

I had to look that up because I'd never heard of it, and it looks like newer versions are still around.  It might be a lot more complicated now, though!  It's funny, I don't hear about Corel anymore nowadays...

Oh that's right...Paint Shop Pro was originally made by Jasc. I think I had several products by Jasc and was always pleased. Corel bought them out and it wasn't the same anymore. I gave it a try but didn't like it. I think I also had Microsoft Paint which still exists but I haven't used it lately. At any rate, great job on all the artwork. Looks like a field guide in the making.

• Like 1

Thanks!  I love Microsoft Paint.  It has changed since, I think, Windows XP.  Both versions are good, but I like the old one slightly better.  Here are a couple of my Paint creations.

33423159796_9182123de7_z.jpg

• Like 3

Oh that is excellent. I discovered that Paint is installed on my PC so I will give it a look. I might start out with Dagwood or Calvin instead of Chickadees and Beagles. :)

Just thought I'd show a comparison of different mediums for bird sketching.  I recently switched to watercolor from colored pencil and I like watercolor a lot better - it's more fun to use and just looks better in my opinion.

(colored pencil on the left, watercolor on the right)

s17_orig.jpg      watercolorbirds1_orig.jpg

• Like 5

While attempting to edit photos, I've found what I think is the root problem when I try anything artistic - I don't know how do tell when I'm done.  I think I'm hard-wired to find solutions, and art isn't a problem; it has no 'right' or 'wrong'.

• Like 1