Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Haven't seen anything new yet.... I'll post pics if I ever do. -_-

Tw8WmPG.jpg

I'm not sure what kind of dragonfly but I photographed it on the 8th of June near Kenora, ON. I would very much like to find out what kind it is.

I've seen plenty of probably new species (going several hours south for the summer helps ;) ), but getting photos has proven challenging so far. Will keep trying though! 

On June 16, 2017 at 1:52 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Found a rare dragonfly in our yard - a Spatterdock Darner.  First recorded in Vermont in 2005.

Spatterdock Darner by The Bird Nuts, on Flickr

Really nice! :o<_< :ph34r:

Are you using OdonataCentral for that other record or do you have a different source?

9 hours ago, Short-eared Owl said:

Really nice! :o<_< :ph34r:

Are you using OdonataCentral for that other record or do you have a different source?

The species was first discovered in Vermont in 2005.  An ode expert (from Vermont) on iNaturalist told us that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The species was first discovered in Vermont in 2005.  An ode expert (from Vermont) on iNaturalist told us that.

Cool, they are pretty rare here in Ontario, I only know of 3 places in the province to see them. Really great you found it perched, they spend so much time on the wing. I finally managed to get a decent picture of one on the weekend as well.

34564511874_2682381ee4_b.jpgRhionaeschna mutata_2017-06-17_00020_small on Flickr

• Like 1

On June 19, 2017 at 8:33 AM, The Bird Nuts said:

Sorry, my post was a little confusing. I realized it was first discovered in Vermont in 2005 and I was just wondering were you got that information. Which you answered anyway. Thanks. And a very nice find! 

11 hours ago, Marvelisticme said:

I think this is a Slaty Skimmer, and I think it's the first time I've seen one LOL :)  It's hard enough keeping up with my bird life list :)

35395535396_657393491d_c.jpgBlueSkimmer06192017-3 by Michelle Summers, on Flickr

I think your text is right and the photo name wrong. I think this is a Slaty. Great Blue Skimmer should have dark wingtips. 

• Like 1

I'm not sure what kind of dragonfly but I photographed it on the 8th of June near Kenora, ON. I would very much like to find out what kind it is.

It's a Chalk-fronted Corporal. This particular thread wasn't really set up for requesting ID's, more for showing off new sightings. In the future, if you have ones you want ID'd, go ahead and start a new topic for them.

Two lifers and county records: Plateau Spreadwing

35676633900_362a62bcb8_c.jpgPlateau Spreadwing by J Friedman, on Flickr

35257620473_2546dac28d_c.jpgPlateau Spreadwing by J Friedman, on Flickr

And believe it or not, this is a Riffle Darner:

35257638793_7fdac79665_c.jpgRiffle Darner by J Friedman, on Flickr

I was totally confused about their habitat, but my oding friend Jonathan recognized it and got an identifiable photo.