Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Tclarkwood    47

I wanted to remind everyone that the Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks have probably invaded the Southern US by now so make sure you keep a look out for them where you have sunflower seed feeders out. Sunflower and Safflower seeds are their favorite.  Last year I had 4-6 of them visit my feeders in the Spring and then a couple stopped by in the Fall.  It is one of the most beautiful birds that we get to see in the Southeast so I'm always looking out at the feeders in April to see them.   If you have a good camera, snap a shot and share.  If you are lucky enough to live in their summer range, you get to see them for several months instead of just a few days.  I'm jealous! 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rose-breasted_Grosbeak/lifehistory

There is interactive migration map that is one of the links on the website that shows the Spring and Fall migration densities.  We are about to hit a very dense time so the chance of seeing one is very high for the next several weeks. 

• Like 1

MeInDallas    1

Do they come into the Dallas, Texas area? I have both safflower, and black oil sunflower out all the time. I saw my first titmouse the other day. I thought it was a chickadee coming, but it was much bigger and faster.

Tclarkwood    47

Yes... The migration map shows they come through Dallas heading to Alberta, Canada.... Check it out.  Also, click on the interactive maps and they show what time of the year Grosbeaks were spotted in previous years to give you and idea of when they have come through the in past. From the interactive map, I learned that someone spotted one about 10 days ago here in Birmingham. 

If you have sunflower seeds out, at least you have a chance to see one.  Some years you see more than others.  I've had years where I only saw 1 or 2 and other years where I may have seen up to 10 during the Spring migration. 

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Rose-breasted_Grosbeak/lifehistory

• Like 1

Chaseman    1578

I just went back and checked my records.  My arrival dates were 4/21/14, 4/20/15 and 4/23/16.  Based on that, I should (hopefully) be seeing some show up within the next week.  Always a treat when they arrive.

MeInDallas    1

I will keep an eye out. The one spotted on the map here in Dallas was actually just a mile or so away from my house. I've got some sunflower hearts I'm going to put out tomorrow and see what comes around.

Chaseman    1578

Well, that was quick.  Don't usually see the females this quick.  Have had 3 males visiting the feeders at the same time so far.

PD6VkjH.jpg

• Like 1

Tclarkwood    47

I heard one singing behind the house on Saturday but I have yet to see one this year!  Maybe I will see one soon!  Look how much colder the bird in Canada looks than the ones in Georgia... Lol! 

• Like 1

Aveschapines    2099

I thought I saw a female yesterday, but it turned out to be a Sulphur-Bellied Flycatcher :D

• Like 1

Cobal    135

Never had one at my feeder before - just saw 4 males and a female all at one time!  Taken in Central Ohio

y1NMWRk.jpg

dqKRQwj.jpg

Yko5p2A.jpg

• Like 1

Tclarkwood    47

That is awesome!  I didn't get to see any this year! :( But I did hear one!  Maybe I'll see one during the fall migration.  I saw one in the fall last year.