• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
dzywendy

hummingbird help

10 posts in this topic

These were taken in a hummingbird garden in New Orleans, LA in early February this year. I don't know how I could forget about them!! Thanks for the help!

1st bird. is this a female rufous?

34107581685_8622b89b1d_b.jpgDSC_4119.jpg by Wendy Deng, on Flickr

2nd bird. I mean the overall color is kinda rufous...

34107582575_852cdddcfa_b.jpgDSC_4121.jpg by Wendy Deng, on Flickr

34066715576_35acde7d45_b.jpgDSC_4123.jpg by Wendy Deng, on Flickr

3rd bird. I don't know 

33296097193_797b5bda6c_b.jpgDSC_4109.jpg by Wendy Deng, on Flickr

34066695246_72fcdd93e4_b.jpgDSC_4108.jpg by Wendy Deng, on Flickr

Thank you very much!

The first one's a female Rufous/Allen's. (Most likely Rufous, but Allen's isn't impossible these days.) The second one looks like a young male, with the gorget coming in, again Rufous/Allen's. I agree that the third one looks like a Ruby-throated, although I can't see enough to rule out a vagrant Black-chinned.

Thank you both! I think the most common ones in my area are rufous and ruby-throated. 

I just looked through my sibley book, and practically see no difference between rufous/allen's and ruby-throated/black-chinned.

Is it not possible to identify them with the photos I have? 

The last bird does not look like a Black-chinned to me.

You cannot tell the species or gender of the rufous/Allen's shots you have

although I agree with psweet on the probabilities. 

4 hours ago, zoutedrop said:

You cannot tell the species or gender of the rufous/Allen's shots you have

Second bird has a gorget ;)

7 hours ago, Astrobirder said:

Second bird has a gorget ;)

Sorry, this is not a definitive method for determining gender in hummers.

Sorry, this is not a definitive method for determining gender in hummers.

Well, it is to a point. Given the date, the first bird almost has to be a female - a young male should be well into it's pre-basic molt by February, so there should be something coming into the throat. The second bird does have feathers coming into the gorget, and they're at the corners rather than the center. Female Rufous and Allen's have any iridescent feathers confined to the center, according to Pyle.

I just looked through my sibley book, and practically see no difference between rufous/allen's and ruby-throated/black-chinned.

Is it not possible to identify them with the photos I have?

Rufous and Allen's are extremely difficult -- unless you have a male with a rufous back, the only sure-fire way to distinguish them is by the shape of the outer tail feathers, and that requires excellent photos. Ruby-throated and Black-chinned are a little easier, and I think I agree that this is a Ruby-throated. I'm basing that largely on the longer tail, which appears to project well beyond the tail feathers, and what little we can see of the primary tips.