• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Madeleine

Sparrows won't leave my niger seed in finch feeders along.

8 posts in this topic

I have seen these white crowned sparrows come through our area of southern BC for the past few years.   However, they never bothered with my finch feeders.   I only use finch feeders and with niger seed.     Now the sparrows are fighting to sit on the perches and how they get their beak in the tiny slit for finches I don't know.   But they are everywhere.   Poor goldfinches are trying to fend them off.    I have taken the feeders down twice so far, about 4 days each time.    All was quiet then.   I put them back up again today and it is a free for all with other finches just going somewhere else.   Help anyone?   Is there another type of feeder I could use.

No direct experience, but I've heard that the kind of feeders that require hanging upside down (perches above the feeding holes) are helpful because finches can do that but sparrows can't.

1 person likes this

That is exactly the type I am using.  The sparrows I have are larger than a finch And they reach above to the next slot and get seeds out of there.

Welcome to Whatbird, Madeleine. I'm not sure what type of perch your feeder has but you might be able to shorten the perches to make it harder for the larger birds to get a grip. If the feeder just has straight plastic pegs you can cut a bit off each perch to shorten them. If your feeder has T-shaped perches you can try trimming the branches of the T to lessen the perch area. The smaller the perches, the smaller the birds will need to be to use them. I've never tried it myself but I'd suggest shortening the perches just a bit at a time, you don't want to make the perches too short for the desired birds while trying to discourage the undesirable birds.

1 person likes this

Huh.  I hang out thistle / niger in central SC and everything ignores it, including the goldfinches.  Finch feeders, socks; it doesn't matter, the stuff just sits there until it rots.  The finches in my yard all prefer BOS or seed / nut mixes.  After several attempts over the years I've decided if they prefer cheaper feeds, more power to them.

1 person likes this

That is really odd.  The finches up this way love niger seed but I am going to change to another finch seed as niger is very expensive, even at WalMart.  We r retirees and just cannot continue with this feed. Once they all start feeding with youngsters. They will eat us out of house and home. 

And Lonestranger...your tip about shortening the posts 'seems to be working' altho I saw those sparrows there tonite so marched out and clipped a bit more off. hope it is not too much.  Lol

tha ks again.

1 person likes this