Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
jcarscadden

bluebird cleaning house....maybe

I have watched the bluebirds taking little " white" things from the nest box for the past several days. Mostly the female. Thought they were bits of hatched eggs but finally got a  picture (not a great one) but a picture today.  No longer sure it is an eggshell...if anyone has an idea...would love to hear it. This year the male and the female have been much more attentive for a longer period of time...at least two months now..but i have not seen any fledglings yet.  I think the nest is active but

34415965511_a49716e7c8_b.jpgcleaning house by Jim Carscadden, on Flickr

• Like 1

Are there babies in there?  Looks like a poop sack the parents are carrying out of the nest.

• Like 1

I have not been able to check for babies....the male has been guarding the nest for the past two weeks and there is seldom an opportunity.  The one chance I did get - my cellphone camera ( i have an old flip phone) was not long enough.  Was going to use my wife's which is a smart phone with camera but have not tried yet.  I know - now -  I should have been monitoring the nest but have not really done so.  Best I can say is that the adult birds seem much more attentive this year.  And i have seen them bringing food into the nest box.  I have not seen any juveniles birds yet.  By the rough schedule i have started...may not for another two weeks or so.

I will keep my fingers crossed and thank you for your input

well i did not get any picture of the bluebirds at all.  But was fairly sure of an active nest based on number of fecal sacs removed and the way the adults returned over and over

yesterday ..i did see some little heads and today i was watching....expecting the fledgling to sort of tumble to the ground before beginning to fly.. Boy was i wrong..  I saw their heads...then neck...then whoosh of they went...back into the woods and out of sight..so i have no pictures of the little ones at all....

but i have a question....I saw three birds leave the nest in a space of 30 minutes...then no activity for at least one hour.  So i checked and there is still one fledgling in the nest....I could see it breathing so closed the box back up and went away. The adults came back and looked in but I dont know if the last one left.

The Question...will the adult bluebirds abandon one if it does not come out!

You can check again tomorrow, but I'm sure it will be gone by then.  Not uncommon for one to take some extra time.

Thank you Chase man.  I just did check  (about 8:30 am) and last one was gone.  I cleaned the box - it was a lot dirtier than I had thought it would be - and now wait and see if is used again this year.

Four fledging bluebirds from this brood and no broken or unmatched eggs  - success !

• Like 1