• Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
alphamorph

Thwarted Starling raid

5 posts in this topic

Frustrated by the dominance that Starlings were playing at my feeding station, I wired a simple plastic glass over the suet ball.  They can still reach some of it but not without exhausting a lot of effort.   Of course, this doesn't hinder the woodpeckers, chickadees and nuthatches at all.  Problem seems to have been solved.

Starling at feeder.jpg

Well, I may have spoken too soon.  Clever as ever, some starlings have busied themselves mastering techniques to thwart my thwart.  At first, they had limited success, unable to gain a firm foothold next to the slippery surface of the glass but it didn't take long before a few were able to alter their approach and make a positive plant.  The next hurdle was to hang from the edge with one foot and still have enough leverage to plunge their beak into the suet before losing their grip and tumbling away. 

Now it seems, they've taken the challenge to the next level.  I think their numbers have actually increased, each vying to become the master the new food toy I have provided for them.  Almost half of the starlings are now enjoying some level of success.  Their presence is definitely affecting visits by other birds.  Nuthatches for example, have literally disappeared and the Hairys and Downeys have reduced their visits.   C'est la vie!

Remove the suet feeder for a few days and the Starlings will take their search for food to another area...hopefully far away from your house. :)

I agree, and in the meantime supply nyjer seed in a Finch sock. Good luck!

My thanks for reading and responding.  I'm sure there were more than a few of you who were skeptical of my chances for success but I still appreciate your dropping by.

After removing both Saturn feeders, I of course, noticed an immediate fall off in starling visitations.  A poor downey searched everywhere for it and finally gave up, leaving in disgust with a high speed fly-by just inches from my head.  I'll stash the feeders for a few days but I don't think it will be effective because a neighbor just 3 doors away deliberately feeds them some sort of kibble all year round.  The most starlings I've counted over his backyard is about 20 or so but there could be more than one flock in attendance.... I don't know.  Bottom line, I doubt very much that the return of my Saturn feeders after a few days absence will go 'unnoticed' for more than minutes by my unwelcome guests.  Plus, the starlings are regular visitors to my yard for a drink and a bath. 

As to the nyjer seed, that would be well and fine for  the finches, siskins and chickadees but wouldn't be of any value to the woodpeckers.  And really, I have no problem with the seed eating birds who seem to getting along quite well on the ground and at my window feeders (although suet is a major treat for the chickadees).

Unless someone can make other recommendations, I think I'll need to sacrifice my suet-only birds in order to keep peace in the backyard.   Darn, things had been going so well there for awhile.