Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.

Taken today in south jersey,the whole Eye thing is throwing me off,this bird was huge,I know size is relative,but it was way bigger then a grackle,I would say Crow sized,and the bill is way wrong for a grackle..I have a few more pics if need be

2q3qlbm.jpg

How about a Boat-Tailed Grackle?  That would account for the bill and size.  Tail is wrong however.  South Jersey is the north end of the range. Tough call.

I've taken a lot of pics of boat tailed grackles,and this bird was way bigger, I am starting to think it's a lost tropical or Juvy bird,the bill is way different on a boat tailed anyway,this bird has more of a crow beak,anybody has a guess please reply,I will try to look up anything because this one has me stumped....

4 minutes ago, S.C. said:

Common Grackle (Not BTGR and wrong location for GTGR)

I still don't think it's a common,although it's a good area for them,and actually boat tails are quite common here in south jersey along the shore....if I get a few more commons I will acquiesce to that line of thinking but it sure looked as big as a crow to me...

24 minutes ago, inastrangeland said:

Spitballing here.  Currawongs in Oz kinda look like grackles.....

Wow,great guess,very similar looking,but I think the bill is too thick on the currawong,I am sure one of the experts here will chime in,it's probably just a common as been stated but maybe not,anyway,it's forced me to look at birds for the last hour on line,so that's never a bad thing..lol..

8 hours ago, inastrangeland said:

South Jersey is the north end of the range. Tough call.

That's actually wrong. They are abundant up to Long Island and are uncommon in one or two places in Connecticut

bump for one last look to the experts...

I think it's time for more pics. I'm far from an expert but I don't see why this isn't a common grackle, other than the perception of size. New pics might be able to solidify the ID one way or the other.

• Like 1

Heres a few more pics,and as I have stated,I have never seen a grackle the size of a crow before,and I understand if its a grackle,and everyone else agrees,then I say Ok,its a grackle,it just seemed so out of the ordinary that I had to post it here,I have been pouring over books and such but nothing fits but Grackle,but I dont know tropicals or juvie birds like you guys do so I wanted to see what you had to say about it.Thanks to all of you who replied...

2ahkif.jpg

f4h1n5.jpg

11j7s44.jpg

One of my best buddies emailed me all excited.  I have a grackle in my yard!  Bill, we don't normally have grackles here (baja Sur, east cape), send me a picture.  He did, and the photo shows me a Scrub Jay in a tree's shadow after I lighten it.  I told him so.  "Stop laughing at me, I know a grackle when I see one"...

I could go on but, I think I see beautiful photos of a Common Grackle here, sheen and all.  That's my vote.