Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
stacy.lash

How long do parents feed their young?

I am in Maine and we literally have gone from freezing temps and a foot of ice on our property to heat waves all the span of a month. What I'm curious about is how long parents will continue to feed their young. The reason I ask this is that now that the snow is gone and I can hang out with my camera, I'm noticing that several of the species on my property are feeding young. Last year was the first summer I was able to watch all the fledglings and the feeding behavior, so I'm pretty sure this is what I'm seeing. The trouble is that based on the weather and temperatures and my photos from last year, I think it's unlikely that these "baby" birds are any less than almost a year old. Over the weekend I witnessed a shrieking, begging full-sized Blue Jay begging for food - and being subsequently fed - presumably by a parent. I also saw Chipping Sparrows that were in full adult plumage begging and being fed. I just looked out the window and saw a full-sized Titmouse begging for food and chasing around another adult and then being fed. This Titmouse was different than the babies from last year because it had the apricot patch on it's side. The babies didn't seem to have this. On Sunday I watched a full-grown Hairy Woodpecker begging for food and being fed, too. These birds didn't bring their young to my feeders until mid-summer last year. These look like full-grown birds. I even have a Rose-Breasted Grosbeak male that is mostly in adult plumage and have seen him begging this past week. I haven't seen him being fed though. I guess I never considered that bird parents would keep feeding their babies this long after hatching. Am I seeing things or is it possible that all these species had a batch of chicks in the subzero temps over the late winter?

Young birds will usually beg for food as long as they keep receiving it, and even after that for a certain amount of time. For songbirds, this is usually several weeks (sometimes over a month) after fledging. This results in what appear like full-grown birds except for subtle differences in feather pattern (and often the pale gape) still begging for food. 

I agree with Jim Bob. Jays fledgling are full sized but do give away their age with their strange "ascending weeee" sounds. Almost all species' young have subtle sound/call uniqueness.

Behaviors wise, they're sometimes clumsy flying and landing, even though they appear to be full sized.