Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Savanah

Have you ever seen a bird with leucism (partial Albanism)

Savanah    1

I first became interested in birding when last year around July I saw a female house sparrow unlike any other. She had a very light patch on her face, her undertail was bright white, and she had wings that were mostly white with only a little triangle of brown near the tips. I didn't get any pictures at the time, I managed to sketch her. 

Well, this year I set up a bird house next to a feeder in my yard only to find it now belongs to a sparrow family. The male sparrow is very typical looking (and loud!) but the female has this very strange set of 2 white feathers in her tail and her undertail is very light. I think she light be last years birds offspring. One of her chicks (now flown the nest but still stays comfortably close) has very large white shoulder bars, larger than the average male sparrow. I've noticed a few other sparrows with white or extremely light colored feathers where there shouldn't be. 

Have any of you ever encountered a bird with leucism (partial albanism)? I wouldn't love to hear some stories or see some photos. I'm wondering how common these little genetic hiccups are. 

Sor A. Rail    530

My first was a European Starling with white tail retrices last winter eating from our apple trees, and it came back stealing some of our chickenfeed around March this year.

My second was a Mallard with white speckling on breast in a flooded field last month.

I had a leucistic horned lark on a CBC back in December, when we looked it up on google we couldn't find a single image of one. The leader of my YBC said he saw one up in Massachusetts, so it just might be the same bird.

creeker    4131

I saw a male Black-headed Grosbeak with a white head a few years back.

I get a leucistic Dark-Eyed Junco about every other winter.  Outer tail feathers, heads, outer primaries, etc.  Usually I'll see the bird several times through the season, hanging out around my feeders.

Sorry, no pictures. 

Savanah    1
On 6/9/2017 at 2:48 PM, spyonabird said:

We have this one hanging around our yard this year.

This is such a striking bird! What an interesting one to have on video. The hardest thing with birds with leucism is having to capture their image! This video is so cool

Savanah    1
On 6/9/2017 at 6:58 AM, chipperatl said:

I thought for a bit this Killdeer was something cooler than it really was.

29015521744_e25c8ae89d_b.jpg691A8942.jpg by chipperatl2, on Flickr

If it helps, you did get to see a bird that is the only one of its kind :)

• Like 1

IvoryBillHope    1364

First (and only) leucistic bird I ever saw was a Chipping Sparrow that was almost totally white save for a few dark wing and tail feathers.