Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
tn_writer01

please brag about your bulk seed to me :)

tn_writer01    5

I'm curious where you online buyers find your USA-made bulk seed without breaking the bank. While you're at it, which USA-made brand/blend is your favorite? I'm going through 20 lbs. of Wild Delight about every 2-3 weeks...:blink:

MeInDallas    1

I dont buy mine online. I go to the local Tractor Supply. If youre in Tennessee they might have one close to you. I get the 20 pound bag of sunflower hearts for $24.99 made by Royal Wing. The birds here in my area go crazy over it!! Check the Tractor Supply website and see if they have a store close to you :)

Tclarkwood    47

I use 40 lb bag of BOSS from Tractor Supply for 18 bucks in Alabama.  Best price I have found anywhere. 

With shipping costs I don't see how anyone could save money buying BULK online.

The older I get, the more I try to Buy local & Support local...

I buy my bulk seed from my local feed mill and local nursery, both family owned. Prices change, but on 50 pound of BOSS I pay anywhere from $18-$22. I buy 50 pound bags of peanuts for around $50. I do get my thistle at Walmart only because the price is excellent and I've had issues with thistle at other places. I think I bought a 40 pound bag of millet for $16 a couple weeks ago (?) I can't remember the exact price but it was under $20. I also buy all my suet from the local feed mill.

One of my favorite "treats" to put out is called Nutsie. I do buy this online from DrsFosterandSmith. My feed mill doesn't carry it.

I did order something online once from the Tracker place that others have mentioned. They have good prices but I don't have an actual store by me.

Everything I buy is USA except for the thistle.

MeInDallas    1
On 6/16/2017 at 3:15 PM, HeatherFeather said:

One of my favorite "treats" to put out is called Nutsie.

I bought one of these not too long ago, and my birds wouldnt eat it. What type of birds are eating it at your feeders? I saw the good reviews on it and thought I would try, but I guess the birds here didnt like it. How often do you go thru one?

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:47 PM, MeInDallas said:

I bought one of these not too long ago, and my birds wouldnt eat it. What type of birds are eating it at your feeders? I saw the good reviews on it and thought I would try, but I guess the birds here didnt like it. How often do you go thru one?

I have lots of woodpeckers (downys, hairy, and red bellied) so they'll eat it. Unfortunately right now I have an increase in blackbirds so they may take this thing out in 24 hours. I've also seen smaller birds peck at it (I believe a wren has). I get lots of bluejays but I don't recall seeing them eat it as much as the woodpeckers enjoy it.

I usually only put the nutsie treat out 3 or 4 times a year, and mostly in the colder months. I only bought one recently because I'm going on vacation and I wanted to put out extra for the birds since I know my hubby likely wont feed them as well as I do every morning lol.