Whatbird.com Community
Leeward Birder

Unidentified dead bird

I saw this bird on the side walk outside my office in the St.Kitts, Caribbean, a few days ago. It was about 9 inches in size but somehow looks like a juvenile? What could this be?

hVWZOpB.jpg

9 inches?  Maybe a baby (definitely a baby) Grackle.

Hi Bigoly, no crackles on the island of St.Kitts, although there are a few on the neighboring island of Nevis. Perhaps a thrasher, but none on them here have yellow beaks that I am aware.

6 minutes ago, Leeward Birder said:

No one can help with this id? Wow! 

Baby birds can be very difficult to identify.  At this stage their beak color and plumage are a lot different from the adults.

Part of the problem is that few if any of us are familiar with the species on St. Kitts. Sorry! Is there a local birding group that might be able to help you?

And yes, bill color is one of many things that can be different in very young birds.

On 6/11/2017 at 2:18 PM, Leeward Birder said:

I saw this bird on the side walk outside my office in the St.Kitts, Caribbean, a few days ago. It was about 9 inches in size but somehow looks like a juvenile? What could this be?

hVWZOpB.jpg

Could you be off on the size?... maybe a  baby House Sparrow. :)

Actually, there are many house sparrows in that area, and would be almost logical, but unfortunately this bird was significantly bigger than an adult House Sparrow.