Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.

cccougar    21

I photographed this pair on a bridge near Farmville, Va.  I assumed them to be American Crows, but seeing the red inside the one's mouth, I am wondering if they might be Common Ravens. Can anyone help?  Also, how can you tell the difference between crows and ravens?  Thank you.  CrowsHighBridge.jpg

The Bird Nuts    1730

These are juveniles and I THINK I'd call them ravens as well.  Common Ravens have larger beaks and longer feather tufts on their beaks, but even so I have difficulty distinguishing them from crows when they're perched.

cccougar    21

Thanks for the ID help Sean C. and Bird Nuts.  Bird Nuts- how can you tell these are juvies?  Thanks.  

Anyone else able to confirm these as Ravens?  

Short-eared Owl    1418

They are certainly not adult ravens, the bills are far off. I'm not sure how a juvenile birds bill changes as it ages though. Are we positive that this is the same species? (i.e. did you see them being fed together or anything?)  The bird on the left looks a little different from the bird on the right.... To me (and I'm not positive) the right bird looks like a crow and the left bird I'm not sure about but looks more ravenish. I might change my mind on this though...:ph34r:  

• Like 1

The Bird Nuts    1730

If one was a crow and the other was a raven then I would think the crow would look much smaller.

28 minutes ago, cccougar said:

Bird Nuts- how can you tell these are juvies?

At least one of them still has a fleshy gape flange (the pink you see at the base of the bill).

Short-eared Owl    1418
1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

If one was a crow and the other was a raven then I would think the crow would look much smaller.

30 minutes ago, Short-eared Owl said:

I might change my mind on this though...:ph34r:  

:ph34r::ph34r:

• Like 2

cccougar    21

Here are two more photos from same setting on the bridge, with the same two birds.  The bills do look more similar in the second photo.  Crow+Raven+flying.jpgCrow+Raven+2.jpg

The Bird Nuts    1730

I still think they're ravens, but I'm still having trouble.....Any more shots of the tail shape in flight?  If it's wedge-shaped then that would confirm raven.

cccougar    21

This shows the tail feathers more/better.  Ready to call Ravens Bird Nuts?  

Thank you Sean C!  492.JPG

• Like 2

psweet    7795

Yes, both young ravens. Juvenile Ravens have a distinct brown tone to the body that you can see well here.

• Like 3

cccougar    21

Thanks so much everyone for all of the input. Common Ravens- this is a lifer bird for me, at least in photographing them. 

:)

• Like 1