Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
DianeD

Bird feeder and grass

I have loved watching the birds at the feeder.  It is what got me started learning to identify birds and watching them wherever I go.  

Now we have new grass put in, and here is the question - what will happen if i keep my feeder (on a pole) in the middle of the grass?  I use no-waste feed, mostly sunflower seed hearts (no shells), millet, nyjer.  There are always lots of seeds on the ground, from the messy feeder-eaters and occasional squirrel who jumps on the feeder then spreads seed for all the ground folks when he jumps off.  Lots of squirrels, mourning doves, juncoes, towhees and occasional band-tailed pigeon on the ground.

Will I end up with dead patch of grass?  Should I move it to the planter area (though that is close to the fence)?

It's been my experience that grass doesn't grow well beneath a feeder if lots of seed/hulls are constantly falling. I have a platform feeder, nyjer socks, and a gravity feed hanging feeder in close proximity, and I have almost no grass there. I decided I'd rather have the birds (and sunflower seedlings and thistle plants!) than have the grass grow there. It would depend to some extent on the type of grass you have growing, how often you rake the debris there, how often you water, etc.  The only way to know for sure would be to try it as it is, then see what happens and decide which way you want to go with your feeders.

• Like 1

Thanks!

I too would rather have birds than grass, but not sure my hubby feels the same. :-)

I think I'll move the feeder.  There is a spot where there are plants instead that would work.  Besides, the dirt is easier for the ground birds to find the seeds than in the grass.

I have a 20 port thistle feeder that is constantly used and there is a black mess beneath it (from the shells). The doves also feast on whatever falls. The grass has no chance where I'm at. I'm married to a landscaper but he knows not to cross my bird feeders lol.

• Like 1

Hi....this may sound simple, but, whenever i mow, i move the feeders a foot or two. Not drastic movement, but enough to keep any seeds or waste from building up too much in one place. I haven't had an issue with dead grass; I have 8 hooks with socks of nyjer.

On 2017-6-15 at 8:53 PM, DianeD said:

Thanks!

I too would rather have birds than grass, but not sure my hubby feels the same. :-)

I think I'll move the feeder.  There is a spot where there are plants instead that would work.  Besides, the dirt is easier for the ground birds to find the seeds than in the grass.

Could you dig up a ring of grass around the feeder pole and plant some kinds of plants there instead, something that would tolerate the falling seeds better than grass and make hubby happy too?