Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
NobleBunny

Report Your Rare Sightings Here!

NobleBunny    815

Thanks very much to @Sor A. Rail for pointing this out to me after observing one of my eBird checklists... she discovered that my Red-shafted Northern Flicker was actually a Red-shafted x Yellow-shafted intergrade.

Spotted in July:
ixYilPn.jpg

Then after closer inspection, I realized I'd seen another back in June:
zcFZVIO.jpg

This is cool because according to eBird Northwest, this isn't very common:

"As of 21 Jan 2015 there were 63 unique, approved reports of Yellow-shafted Flickers entered in eBird in Washington and 119 from Oregon. Most of these are from September through April; one observation was noted in May and one in August. While there aren’t any records of Yellow-shafted Flickers during June or July, there are a few reports of intergrades during these months throughout the northwest."

Just a fun sighting...though I'd share! Happy Birding!!

• Like 5

NobleBunny    815
5 minutes ago, Sor A. Rail said:

Congrats on your find!

Also, I'm actually a "he" ;)

Whoh! Oooops sorry Sora. LOL. Funny How we assume.

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

It's amazing how many good birds for Washington you've been finding!

I agree Nuts...I feel lucky.

• Like 1

NobleBunny    815

Very Cool. I'm jealous of your Quail, Selasphorus, Eared Grebe, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Phalarope, Sanderling...dang you have so many shorebirds!

Sor A. Rail    530
4 minutes ago, NobleBunny said:

Very Cool. I'm jealous of your Quail, Selasphorus, Eared Grebe, Black-necked Stilt, American Avocet, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Phalarope, Sanderling...dang you have so many shorebirds!

You guys in Western WA should have more shorebirds than we do :P;)

Don't you guys get stuff like Wandering Tattlers and Red Knots? Or are you too far inland for those 

NobleBunny    815
8 minutes ago, Sor A. Rail said:

You guys in Western WA should have more shorebirds than we do :P;)

Don't you guys get stuff like Wandering Tattlers and Red Knots? Or are you too far inland for those 

I'm just too much of a n00b is all. I will discover a place to find these guys eventually. Is summer a good season for them?

Sor A. Rail    530
6 minutes ago, NobleBunny said:

I'm just too much of a n00b is all. I will discover a place to find these guys eventually. Is summer a good season for them?

Summer, spring and fall are best for them, but unlike the tattlers, the Red Knots will sometimes winter in southwestern Washington. Sandy eaches are the best places to find Red Knots while the tattlers prefer rocky shorelines 

Short-eared Owl    1412

This is a great idea for a thread! Here's a Baird's Sandpiper (confirmed on here too ;)) which is basically the first report this year on the east coast. Super exciting! 

35377545203_9ba52eaac0_b.jpg

• Like 3

pictaker    6354

Juvy White Ibis,forsythe refuge,Brigantine,nj

35579652894_d2ebde2124_z.jpg

• Like 1