Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.

All in North Topsail Beach, coastal North Carolina, last couple days.  Thanks!

Bird #1 (2 photos)

36262249932_02f555a20c_b.jpgDSCN5795 by albur_18, on Flickr

36262247132_f4d98474b7_h.jpgDSCN5796 by albur_18, on Flickr

Bird #2 (2 photos)

36262245032_5651897779_k.jpgDSCN5812 by albur_18, on Flickr

36384978876_7d207ffa0b_k.jpgDSCN5813 by albur_18, on Flickr

Bird #3

36262243192_f946c2247e_k.jpgDSCN5824 by albur_18, on Flickr

Bird #4

36384977606_47c1536a14_k.jpgDSCN5828 by albur_18, on Flickr

Bird #5

36262241802_64c4e72343_k.jpgDSCN5832 by albur_18, on Flickr

Bird #6 (2 photos)

36262240502_deb5f94b4b_h.jpgDSCN5841 by albur_18, on Flickr

36262240112_5ff1ee6579_h.jpgDSCN5842 by albur_18, on Flickr

Bird #7

36262239582_d586be5baf_k.jpgDSCN5916 by albur_18, on Flickr

1, 4 & 5: I tink Common Terns

2: Roseate?

3: ??

6: Forster's?

7: Least?

• Thanks 1

Thanks, any tips for separating Least Terns when no size comparison is available?

These all look like Common Terns to me -- Least Tern shouldn't show the dark tips to the middle primaries. None of them have the clean white undersides and silvery primaries that say Forster's (or the head pattern, which should be well established by now), or the heavy bill of a Royal.

35 minutes ago, psweet said:

These all look like Common Terns to me -- Least Tern shouldn't show the dark tips to the middle primaries. None of them have the clean white undersides and silvery primaries that say Forster's (or the head pattern, which should be well established by now), or the heavy bill of a Royal.

Thanks psweet.  And the molt timing is something I was wondering about.  Sibley has winter plumage listed as August-whenever, so would all terns be showing at least some progress towards winter plumage at this date?

I wouldn't be surprised, but then again... there is some individual variation in molt timing, dependent in part on food availability, body condition, breeding status, etc. (birds that are still feeding young are likely to start later than those whose nests fail, for instance). Forster's Terns start their molt quite early, though, so even with variation I'd be expecting to see mostly winter plumage on the head.

33 minutes ago, Greenmagpie said:

#7 is a Gull-billed

You should give at least some justification for that. It looks like an awfully thin bill for a Gull-billed.

3 minutes ago, Quartos said:

You should give at least some justification for that. It looks like an awfully thin bill for a Gull-billed.

The bill looks very thick, pointing toward Gull-billed

13 minutes ago, Greenmagpie said:

The bill looks very thick, pointing toward Gull-billed

Oh, I guess you're looking at the 7th photo, not the 7th bird. In that case, I see where you're coming from.

Edited by Quartos

I thought about Gull-billed for #5, but I think the bill shape's due to foreshortening. The back looks a bit dark and I'm not sure the wing pattern's right for Gull-billed. But it's definitely the one I'm least certain about.

8 minutes ago, The Pumaman said:

I personally was looking at Sandwich for 5, but like psweet I'm not nearly certain about that.

I agree, number 5 looks more like a Sandwich Tern, but I'm not certain either. I don't think it's Gull-billed, as the wings look too long, the bill rather is quite thin, the tail isn't too stubby-looking and, from what I can see, the inner webs of the secondaries are duskier. 

Thanks very much everyone for taking the time to look at these.  I too was leaning Sandwich on #5.  The bill does look fat, but I'm with psweet in that I think it is due to foreshortening and also the yellow tip which isn't showing up well against the sky, making the bill look even more blunted than it really is.

On 8/13/2017 at 1:00 PM, albur18 said:

Thanks psweet.  And the molt timing is something I was wondering about.  Sibley has winter plumage listed as August-whenever, so would all terns be showing at least some progress towards winter plumage at this date?

I'm trying to learn the terns having just moved to the coast. The Forster's I'm seeing a bit north of where you took these pictures are definitely showing eye patches at this point. 

Edit - Just noticed you took these pictures 2 weeks ago.

Edited by Al Hooks
Timing

58 minutes ago, Al Hooks said:

I'm trying to learn the terns having just moved to the coast. The Forster's I'm seeing a bit north of where you took these pictures are definitely showing eye patches at this point. 

Edit - Just noticed you took these pictures 2 weeks ago.

Even a couple weeks ago I saw similar things.  I did have a couple obvious Forster's on this trip with fully formed eye patches and one that had the eye patch with a little dark left on the back of the head.  I was still wary of there possibly being a Forster's mixed in with the Commons that had full black cap still, but it looks like that is not likely at this date.  Thanks all!