Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
Sign in to follow this  
Tomahawkt77

Alders Flycatcher ? - Western Mass

I kept hearing what sounded like Alders flycatcher and since I have no confirmed Alders (it's a lifer) I was determined to get some pics of the bird. I know Willow's / Alder's are almost impossible to tell apart except their song/calls. If the pics  would identify it as a Trails Flycatcher I can add it to my life list as an Alders. I also get the Alders and Eastern Phoebe song mixed up so that is also why I was making sure it was not a Phoebe. There were some Willow's around (I recognize their calls/songs). Is it unusual to have both in the same area?

36479550116_e21a1eb56f_c.jpgIMG_7563 by STEFAN TOWNSEND, on Flickr

36479554576_25495893d1_c.jpgIMG_7512 by STEFAN TOWNSEND, on Flickr

36357864022_47f49d31e4_c.jpgIMG_7469 by STEFAN TOWNSEND, on Flickr

• Like 1

First, this is definitely not a phoebe -- the head's not dark, there's some pale color on the lower mandible, and there's a bit of an eye-ring. I'd worry a bit about Least as a possibility -- once they start getting worn they're that much trickier. But if I have to call it, I'd say it's a Traill's, and if you heard Alders calling I don't see any issue with counting them.

I also think it looks good for Trail's/Alder...and if you heard the song then it sounds like you have a new lifer!!

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 2:57 PM, Tomahawkt77 said:

Is it unusual to have both in the same area?

Not sure about MASS but here in SE BC (N of Golden) where their ranges overlap they are found breeding in the same areas with the Alders tending to be in areas with taller and thicker shrubbery. Great opportunity to learn and compare their songs and call notes.