Jump to content
Whatbird.com Community
Usha

Please ID this shorebird with one leg

Recommended Posts

Please ID this shorebird with only one leg, seen in maricopa county today

IMG_4985.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first thought is Long-billed Dowitcher.  Many, many birds rest standing on one leg giving the appearance of having only one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BigOly said:

My first thought is Long-billed Dowitcher.  Many, many birds rest standing on one leg giving the appearance of having only one.

Thanq. Here is another photo. It was hopping only one leg. I felt very bad.

IMG_4987.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My thought was Long-billed Dowitcher, too, but I'm far from an expert. Some other members have a lot more expertise on these birds including @Sean C.

I once saw a Great Black-backed Gull with one leg. It did not stand much. Whenever it landed, it just sat down.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a photo buried somewhere that I took in Oaxca Mex.  that shows an entire flock (maybe 20 birds) of Dowitchers all standing on one leg, all on the same leg as well, with their heads tucked in for sleepy time.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BigOly said:

I have a photo buried somewhere that I took in Oaxca Mex.  that shows an entire flock (maybe 20 birds) of Dowitchers all standing on one leg, all on the same leg as well, with their heads tucked in for sleepy time.

That must have made a great photo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

If it was hopping on one leg, the other leg probably isn't there... :(

It was sad to see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sean C. said:

the photos are not opening for me

I had to delete for space. Here it is.

IMG_4985.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a Dowitcher to me too.

I once saw a Sanderling hopping around on one leg. It seemed to have not much difficulty keeping up with the flock. On the other hand, I once saw a Robin with a leg dangling backwards, completely severed but still attached by a bit of skin. Poor thing didn't look well either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shyanni said:

Looks like a Dowitcher to me too.

I once saw a Sanderling hopping around on one leg. It seemed to have not much difficulty keeping up with the flock. On the other hand, I once saw a Robin with a leg dangling backwards, completely severed but still attached by a bit of skin. Poor thing didn't look well either.

Thanq for the ID and for sharing your story. As long as the bird is healthy, I guess they somehow manage it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

A flock of one-legged Willets from San Blas, Mx. 36306154200_547a828edf_b.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×