Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Two months ago, I first observed a family of four Great Horned Owls hanging out on the rural property where I live. This was nothing out of the ordinary. I have lived here for four years and each year I have been fortunate enough to observe a family spending time here. For the past three weeks, two of the owls have been spending a lot of time resting and hunting at the largest pond on the property which happens to be about 75 yards from my house. Pretty much every morning and evening I get the opportunity to see/hear them. Yesterday morning was no different. I went out for a walk before the sun rose and as I was headed home I sat on the hill above the pond to watch the two owls as they sat perched on a branch near the shore. The larger one would occasionally reach its head down and drink water. Eventually, they both fixed their sights on something along the south shore. At pretty much the same moment, the two Belted Kingfishers that have been spending time at the pond the past few weeks started making more of a racket than usual. I noticed what I thought was a deer walking along the shore. It took me about two seconds to realize that the animal was not a deer but a mountain lion. I watched the beautiful cat for about 90 seconds. It stopped and sat for a  moment and appeared to be staring back at the owls and then it continued to walk along the shore and again stared back at the owls before finally disappearing into the forest. 

I have seen a total of nine mountain lions in my life but I have never had the opportunity to watch one for more than a few seconds. I have also never had the chance to photograph one. Due to lighting, distance, and camera limitations, the quality of the photos is not all that great but I thought I would share them nonetheless.

36041603264_31f3092e3a_o.jpg

36041601884_02d04c8fae_o.jpg

36041600334_741f9c7c3c_o.jpg

36041598904_fa3213c415_o.jpg

36041597474_66c42c9859_o.jpg

36041595824_4f76722a44_o.jpg

36041593374_5c0acfe4a0_o.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, slidinghills said:

Two months ago, I first observed a family of four Great Horned Owls hanging out on the rural property where I live. This was nothing out of the ordinary. I have lived here for four years and each year I have been fortunate enough to observe a family spending time here. For the past three weeks, two of the owls have been spending a lot of time resting and hunting at the largest pond on the property which happens to be about 75 yards from my house. Pretty much every morning and evening I get the opportunity to see/hear them. Yesterday morning was no different. I went out for a walk before the sun rose and as I was headed home I sat on the hill above the pond to watch the two owls as they sat perched on a branch near the shore. The larger one would occasionally reach its head down and drink water. Eventually, they both fixed their sights on something along the south shore. At pretty much the same moment, the two Belted Kingfishers that have been spending time at the pond the past few weeks started making more of a racket than usual. I noticed what I thought was a deer walking along the shore. It took me about two seconds to realize that the animal was not a deer but a mountain lion. I watched the beautiful cat for about 90 seconds. It stopped and sat for a  moment and appeared to be staring back at the owls and then it continued to walk along the shore and again stared back at the owls before finally disappearing into the forest. 

I have seen a total of nine mountain lions in my life but I have never had the opportunity to watch one for more than a few seconds. I have also never had the chance to photograph one. Due to lighting, distance, and camera limitations, the quality of the photos is not all that great but I thought I would share them nonetheless.

36041603264_31f3092e3a_o.jpg

36041601884_02d04c8fae_o.jpg

36041600334_741f9c7c3c_o.jpg

36041598904_fa3213c415_o.jpg

36041597474_66c42c9859_o.jpg

36041595824_4f76722a44_o.jpg

36041593374_5c0acfe4a0_o.jpg

Awesome!! Very few people get to see a Mountain Lion in their natural habitat, let alone get several photos of it!! That's fantastic!!

4 hours ago, Bird Brain said:

Awesome!! Very few people get to see a Mountain Lion in their natural habitat, let alone get several photos of it!! That's fantastic!!

Thank you!

20 years passed between the first time I saw one and the second time. Luckily, I have seen them more frequently in recent years but every time I do see one I can't help but wonder if it will be the last. 

I have seen a total of nine mountain lions in my life but I have never had the opportunity to watch one for more than a few seconds. I have also never had the chance to photograph one. Due to lighting, distance, and camera limitations, the quality of the photos is not all that great but I thought I would share them nonetheless

----------------------------------------- snip--------------------------------------------------

Very cool! I have always wanted to see Mtn. Lion in the wild, but either I be in a car or the cat be a ways away......:P