Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Egrett

House Finches eating and feeding like crazy

Egrett    0

We have had a feeder up for about 4-6 months now and have been pleased with the variety of birds.  To the best of my identification abilities, we have seen Black Capped Chickadees, House Finches, Scrub Jays,  Robins, Eurasion doves, and maybe a Hairy Woodpecker.  We are in Utah and in the late August and early September I have been filling up the feeder about every two days and what I am calling House Finches seem to be voracious eaters.  Is this normal?  I have also noticed juveniles being fed by adults.  Should I just keep filling up the feeder? I have been using the black oil sunflower seeds.

Please advise 

Thanks

MeInDallas    2

Yep just keep filling it if they are eating. You might wanna add some suet to your buffet. I've noticed here in the Dallas are they are really eating a lot of suet lately, and I think a lot of it has to do with migrating birds from the north, coming thru the south. If you see adults feeding the young, suet (cakes/pellets/balls) would be a great addition. If you have squirrels or larger birds you dont want to feed, there are squirrel proof suet feeders out there.

MeInDallas    2

And I was going to say, I didnt think birds here in Texas would eat suet because its so hot here during the summer months, but it's a waiting game with the suet. I was surprised to see a lot of birds come out of hiding that I never saw here before, but they were just hiding in the trees where I couldnt see them. Lots of woodpeckers here in Texas. I use the no melt suet which is good for hot climates, and I had to try several different brands to figure out which one they liked. I even make my own suet sometimes as a treat for them. Right now their favorite is orange suet and berry suet comes in 2nd. After that anything with a lot of peanuts and mealworms and/or bugs. I would've never guessed that. The cheapo ones they wont touch, and if you see a lot of corn on the bottom, they wont eat those either. At first they loved the peanut and mealworm, and turned their noses up at the orange and berry, but now all of a sudden they decided different. They keep a long time in the fridge too. And bark butter is also a big hit I've found out recently. I make DIY and use.

Egrett    0

Wow... I have so much to learn.  I am filling up the feeder about once a day now.  Will keep doing it and look into what suet and possibly suet feeders are available locally.

Thanks

Best regards

MeInDallas    2

I'm learning too all the time! If you've just got one feeder, then yeah it will probably get to a point where you fill it up daily if thats all you're feeding is seeds. The suet is a good addition, and also they have seed/nut/fruit/bug cakes which are getting popular too. With fall coming on birds are looking for that extra fat content.