Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

9/9/2017 Northern Delaware

Not sure what can be done for this little guy.  He showed up, yesterday and spent most of the day around my yard.  I was on the ground, fending for himself against the aggressive cowbirds.  Nights have been in mid-low 50's already.  I have a feeling that the winter i

Parakeet3

s going to be wetter than normal since the summer has, here.   

If you have a bird cage, you could try putting it out with some seed in it. The keet might enter if he is used to the security of a cage. You could also post the photo on Facebook or other similiar sites with a location in case the owner is nearby looking for him; if it's a tame parakeet they might be able to call him in, and if you are able to get it in a cage you can at least keep it safe while you look for the owner, or adopt it or find a new owner if you can't find the current owner. I don't think it would survive a Delaware winter!

Thanks for the suggestion, Aveschapines.  I did think about trying to find a cage and doing what you suggested.  My only "pets" are the BYB's so I don't know how successful I will be in attempting to find a cage.  I think I'll put a request on Craig's list.  I don't have a Facebook account and surely wouldn't put specific info regarding my address on there if I did have one.  I could be vague, though.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll see what I can do.  I just wouldn't want everyone contacting me in an attempt to get a free parakeet.  I'll consider. 

Yeah, I wouldn't put your address, but town maybe? Of course only if you feel safe. Hope you can figure something out! 

After a 42 degree F morning two days ago, I have not seen it return.  A reply to my CraigsList ad is producing a bird cage, today, just in case it returns here.   We'll see how it goes.  I can't imagine the bird surviving the other night but, if it did, it will probably return since there is always food, here.

Thanks again for input.

After a 42 degree F morning two days ago, I have not seen it return.  A reply to my CraigsList ad is producing a bird cage, today, just in case it returns here.   We'll see how it goes.  I can't imagine the bird surviving the other night but, if it did, it will probably return since there is always food, here.

Thanks again for input.

Dang it. I hope he shows up too, but that is really cold for a parakeet. :-(   Maybe his owner was able to catch him (I've caught my lost bird before) or someone else was able to. Or even animal control...my fingers are crossed for him!

what worked for me was a box held up on one side with a stick and a cord running to the porch and some goodies under the box and when he went under the box to eat i pulled the cord and the box fell down over him