Whatbird.com Community
Sign in to follow this  
NobleBunny

American Black Duck?

Hi all!

This was taken today in SW Washington. I realize that this is probably a Mallard and Washington is not the range for these ducks, but there have been reported feral populations in Oregon and Washington.

Just in case, I was just wondering what any of you think of this duck with a purple wing bar. (His bill is covered with mud in one pic, but its actually yellow- shown in 2nd pic).

hxdiOF3l.jpg

FvnHtYCl.jpg

That's a Mallard. American Black Duck would be much darker on the back and flanks - often, the head actually appears lighter-colored in contrast with the rest of the body. I definitely see what you're saying about the purple speculum. There's some individual variation in that color and it can also appear different based on the light, but it's certainly possible that this bird could have some Black Duck ancestry - these guys hybridize a lot!

(P.S. I grew up in Vancouver and got hooked on birding there. I still think y'all have the best birds out there! :))

• Like 1

That's a Mallard. American Black Duck would be much darker on the back and flanks - often, the head actually appears lighter-colored in contrast with the rest of the body. I definitely see what you're saying about the purple speculum. There's some individual variation in that color and it can also appear different based on the light, but it's certainly possible that this bird could have some Black Duck ancestry - these guys hybridize a lot!

(P.S. I grew up in Vancouver and got hooked on birding there. I still think y'all have the best birds out there! :))

@GreenJay94 Thanks! for the ID help. It's also good to know that I'm in such a good spot for birding. I'm new to the birding game and am looking forward to my very first fall migration! Yay!

• Like 2