Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

It is that time of year again when birds start moving out and moving into new areas. It is neat to see the hummingbirds stock up on nectar and take off as well as the rose-breasted grosbeaks come through from up North heading to South America.  I also like to see the white-throated sparrows, american goldfinches and pine siskins come to Alabama from the North in late Fall and early Winter.  Please post when you see a species leave or a new one come into your area because it makes for great discussion on their behavior, what you like about them, what they like to eat, etc.  With that said, no species has left or showed up yet but I will keep you posted.  

My ruby throated hummingbirds are definitely sucking the feeders dry. Usually I only see one or 2 at a time, but this week I have been seeing up to 8 at once and can hardly keep food in the feeders. 

• Like 2

Been a little different this week after Irma blew through.  Things are still a mess.  It was almost entertaining watching the hummers try and land on the feeders with the winds that we had, but they hung in there and made it through.  Numbers are increasing daily.

Looked out earlier and look what I found!

NZ8Pptm.jpg

vT95uKW.jpg

They're back!!!

I've had a female Black-headed Grosbeak at the feeder for the last couple of days, and the Black-chinned Hummingbirds have all left for the year. 

• Like 1

I've had a female Black-headed Grosbeak at the feeder for the last couple of days, and the Black-chinned Hummingbirds have all left for the year. 

Update: A few minutes ago there was a female and a male BH Grosbeak both on the feeder!! :)

• Like 1

This is going to be my first fall feeding the birds so I'm curious to see what shows up and how the feeding goes. I've noticed the past few weeks bird feeding has dropped significantly in my yard but there are lots of hummingbirds are feeding right now. This is my first hummingbird feeder so it's an exciting time. I had the feeder on one of those garden hooks by some flowers, but saw some hummingbirds checking out the regular feeder hanging in the trees, so I hung the hummingbird feeder by the sunflower chips, and wow they are all showing up for a sip of the red juice. I've been trying to snap some pics but those little things are so fast!

I found these on my back fence and there are lots of them, so it probably explains why the feeding has dropped off like it has.

berries.jpg

• Like 2

Been a little different this week after Irma blew through.  Things are still a mess.  It was almost entertaining watching the hummers try and land on the feeders with the winds that we had, but they hung in there and made it through.  Numbers are increasing daily.

Looked out earlier and look what I found!

NZ8Pptm.jpg

vT95uKW.jpg

They're back!!!

Awesome! How do you tell if that's a male or female?  Sure seems early 

I'm not sure exactly how to tell.  Males almost always arrive first.  I thought it was pretty early too, but looking at past years they usually start showing up right after the 20th.  It's really only about a week early.

Was out and about a while today and got a few photos. Got home, and as soon as I stepped out of the car I heard Sandhill Cranes flying high overhead! Had my camera in my hand (fortunately had my 400mm lens still on it!!) and managed to get it up, focus, and get a few shots before they were gone. There were 30-40 of them, way up high and headed due South.

36895999340_44aaea3ba0_z.jpgIMG_9887-001 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

36895999900_9954a93561_z.jpgIMG_9886-001 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

• Like 2

Near San Antonio on the hill country side.  No new species yet but my triple barrel finch feeder is all but abandoned.  May - August, I had so many Lesser Goldfinch (Texas form) that I was filling it up three times a week, but over the past week they have vanished! Saw a straggler yesterday, but nothing today.

I know it's that time, but it's almost eerie quiet.  My songbird stack is the same way.  Usually has frequent Cardinals, Chickadees, and Titmouses (titmice?), but nada.

The hummingbird feeders have even trickled from constant traffic to a random gulper every couple of hours.

Trying to be patient, but I'm starting to wonder if I have some sort of predator spoiling the location.  I have a lot of squirrels, but usually the birds ignore them or chase them off (mocking birds)

Maybe I need to switch over to some other platform.  I'm farily new to the obsession and I have no idea what might be passing through this time of year.

Here is a Live Stream of my bird-feeder park I broadcast using freeware and custom A\V code I cobbled together in my spare time. Just now, the only thing out there is a fat squirrel laying on a branch.

• Like 1

I've been having the exact same issue as you, I'm in Dallas, Tx. I used to fill up my feeder with sunflower hearts every morning and by night it would nearly be empty, maybe a half inch left on the bottom. Now it's gone down to about once every 5 or 6 days, nearly a week in between fill ups. The feeder holds one pound.

Also, I was going thru several suet cakes a day, and I had 6 double suet cake feeders out, and now I've gone down to just 2 suet feeders out, and sometimes I just put one cake in, and cut it in half and put a piece on both sides.

I am seeing birds all over the place though but they dont eat, so I'm thinking it might just be the fall harvest coming out, and there is natural food everywhere for them.(See my pic above). My bird bath is busy all day long and I fill it up several times in the day to keep it full. This is my first fall season so I knew this was coming, but I didnt expect such a drop off. I wrote down when I first noticed this and it was 2 days after that eclipse on August 23rd. I've been wondering what it could be, it was very strange just like you said. I also thought maybe a hawk or an owl was around.

I'm eagerly waiting for the Ruby-Throated Hummers; they should be here any day now. Meanwhile I have all four of my local species this time of year - Magnificent and White-Eared hummingbirds, which I have all year; Rufous Sabrewings, which are here from April - December; Mexican Violetears, from July to December; and the Rubies are here from September to January or February. 

Meanwhile there has been a huge Pacific Parakeet boom; I am seeing large numbers of them around school. Last week I saw a flock of 32!

Any minute now the other migrants should start showing up - various warblers, Western Tanagers, Rose-Breasted Grosbeaks, etc. A Yellow-Billed Cuckoo or two should pass through, and in November I get Mangrove Cuckoos for several weeks.

Just saw my first White-crowned Sparrow of the season in my yard this morning!! No photo yet, but it was exciting to see it. 

Seems like migration is starting earlier this year. I usually don't see White-crowned until Nov., and last Sunday I saw the Sandhill Cranes I posted above, and heard another bunch flying over yesterday. Maybe we're going to have an early winter!! :unsure:

Thanks for sharing that hummingbird video Dred!  That is awesome!  I only have three or four hummingbirds where I live in the woods so I usually only see one hummingbird at a time on my feeder. Occasionally I will see a battle between two or three of them but my numbers are always very low each year. 

Always love sharing my hummingbird videos. This was the first year I had any success with them. Here's one of them feeding early in the morning while it's still a little dark. 

20170924_064144

And pic of one that thinks it's a bat.

2017-09-25_12-54-35

• Like 2

What do you use to film them? Are you using a GoPro camera? All I have is my Samsung Galaxy so I've been thinking about getting something to film the action.

I use a Samsung galaxy s7 for all my pics and videos on here. I end up having to take a bunch of pictures to get one good one, usually through binoculars. As far as the hummingbird videos go, they always swarm me when I fill the feeders so all i have to do is point the camera at them. 

I have the same phone as you, but I have to hide behind my enclosed porch, and sometimes they still see me. I had a little flock of finches visit this morning. Didnt eat anything, but I had just put fresh water out in the bird bath and they went nuts. All morning it's been one group after the other. Hope this video plays right.

37322238502_2fee32400c_b.jpg

• Like 2

I have the same phone as you, but I have to hide behind my enclosed porch, and sometimes they still see me. I had a little flock of finches visit this morning. Didnt eat anything, but I had just put fresh water out in the bird bath and they went nuts. All morning it's been one group after the other. Hope this video plays right.

37322238502_2fee32400c_b.jpg

I'm in Plano and they need the water desperately. Those are actually house sparrows. Finches are about the same size but the males will have red heads, throat, breast and butt. Easy to spot and lots of both around here. 

Dred, awesome video of the hummingbirds. I wish I could attract that many! That's about all I've seen migrating besides a few Baltimore Orioles and a yellow warbler I haven't ID'd yet. Anyone know what trees the migrating warblers prefer? Last year my neighbor's oak was the only place I saw any. Would like to attract some new birds. Is that just luck and them seeing all the birds feeding here? 

• Like 1

I used to see the red headed ones all the time like you're talking about, but they have literally vanished. I used to have tons of them everyday.

Those are house finches and I'm sure they will be back. It comes in waves sometimes and who knows why. Dove season just started unfortunately and it seems like they have been hiding. It seems like the more that visit, the more they attract and the less that come the less think it's a good place to eat. That's just what I've noticed. I don't change much and they always find it soon enough! 

• Like 1

I think my ruby-throats left.  I have not seen one in 2 days. It will be another month before I start seeing white-throated sparrows here.  I have not seen a grosbeak yet. :unsure:

On 9/20/2017 at 3:06 PM, BirdStar said:

Near San Antonio on the hill country side.  No new species yet but my triple barrel finch feeder is all but abandoned.  May - August, I had so many Lesser Goldfinch (Texas form) that I was filling it up three times a week, but over the past week they have vanished! Saw a straggler yesterday, but nothing today.

I know it's that time, but it's almost eerie quiet.  My songbird stack is the same way.  Usually has frequent Cardinals, Chickadees, and Titmouses (titmice?), but nada.

The hummingbird feeders have even trickled from constant traffic to a random gulper every couple of hours.

Trying to be patient, but I'm starting to wonder if I have some sort of predator spoiling the location.  I have a lot of squirrels, but usually the birds ignore them or chase them off (mocking birds)

Maybe I need to switch over to some other platform.  I'm farily new to the obsession and I have no idea what might be passing through this time of year.

Here is a Live Stream of my bird-feeder park I broadcast using freeware and custom A\V code I cobbled together in my spare time. Just now, the only thing out there is a fat squirrel laying on a branch.

My yard and are in Central Texas is also eeerily quiet, even the cardinals are not at my feeders. I miss my birds! there are a lot of seeds in the field where I live, so maybe they just don't need to feeders. Hummingbirds are gone. Not seeing the wrens, titmouse, chickadees either, nothing! the past two years and have been very light where I live for birds. It makes me sad. I keep the feeders full, but end up having to dump it because it gets moldy with the rain.

I hope it changes soon. Last winter I had not one golden finch, first time in many years my feeders were full of active little finches!. I'm not giving up though!

• Like 1