Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Not as much bird activity for me the last several weeks.  My neighborhood birds (cardinals, titmice, chickadees, downys, phoebes, car. wrens, nuthatches, house finches) are all still coming around some but no new species from the North so far.  I didn't get to see any grosbeaks flying back this Fall.  Maybe I'll see some white-throated sparrows and American goldfinches before the end of 2017.  I hope this is a year for Pine Siskins to make it down here too! 

I seriously cannot believe how dead it is at my feeders these days! It's really gotten bad, but we did have a long summer, and just the past 2 weeks maybe, we are starting to get cold fronts coming thru. I was still running my a/c up until 10 days ago. I noticed the leaves are now starting to turn yellow and fall off. This is a real learning curve to get thru, but I'm glad to be learning it so I'll know what to expect next year. All I have visiting are a few House Sparrows, about 3 or 4 Carolina Chickadees, a Cardinal that gets really close to me just for a peanut, and a titmouse who is fascinated with the new peanut feeder. I get really frustrated, but I know you cant force nature.

It slows down for me every fall but then really picks back up once the cold temperatures of Winter settle in.  The birds seem to have more to eat during fall harvest season with all of the acorns and other nuts and seeds that are falling off the trees this time of year.  Usually by mid December they are emptying out my BOSS feeder every week.  Good luck!  I went out on to IBird and checked and it seems like quite a few migratory species are getting very close to me here in Central Alabama  so I've got a watch out for them.  I haven't seen an American goldfinch yet but I expect one to show up any day. 

• Like 1

Very slow at my feeders here in south Louisiana right now, but I'm hopeful things will pick up here soon too. 

• Like 1

The chipping sparrows, white throated sparrows, juncos, mourning doves, cardinals, chickadees, and bluebirds are at the feeders full force here.

large.5a0b8f1b5d75c_juncos036c.jpg.358f3

large.5a0b8f03c0a46_questionablesparrow0

large.5a0b8eea112a8_juncos040c.jpg.191db

• Like 4

Nice  Misspt!  The juncos arrived yesterday in my back yard!  They are hopping around in all the leaves that have fallen trying to find something to snack on.  They seem to be right on track because it was the second week of November when they arrived last year.  Still  no white-throats.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, misspt said:

The chipping sparrows, white throated sparrows, juncos, mourning doves, cardinals, chickadees, and bluebirds are at the feeders full force here.

large.5a0b8f1b5d75c_juncos036c.jpg.358f3

large.5a0b8f03c0a46_questionablesparrow0

large.5a0b8eea112a8_juncos040c.jpg.191db

I'm jealous. Send a few down my way. 

14 minutes ago, dred said:

I'm jealous. Send a few down my way. 

The white-throated sparrows do not stay, they will be moving down your way I am so very sure. The chipping sparrows are here for the winter I can't budge them. The juncos will disperse as well, we'll have about two that will hang around. Everybody else are permanent residents.

I'm getting so jealous too! Since my yard has been dead, I used yesterday to put up a new feeder pole, and to rearrange some stuff. Really anticipating some activity soon. I noticed I've had more in the morning, but its nothing compared to what it once was. I can hear them in the big trees though.

We had a big cold front come thru last night, and temps went down just above freezing. This morning I was drinking coffee looking out the back window and this huge flock of Northern Cardinals came thru. Lasted only a couple of minutes, but they were getting the sunflower hearts off the ground that had fallen. Never landed on the actual feeder though. I've never seen that many at one time, at the most 2 but no more. So many I couldnt even count them today, but I hope they remember my yard. By the time I had even thought of my camera they were gone that quick. I'm hoping those cold fronts keep on coming down here so I can see what you guys are seeing up north.

White throated sparrows showed up just in time for Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. And I had my FOS orange crowned warbler at my suet today. 

2017-11-24_01-06-40

• Like 2

The goldfinches showed up in my yard on Thanksgiving. Just a couple. They went right for the nyjer and started eating. A couple more house finches have moved in. I had one pair that stayed all summer so now they have some competition and they have started fussing with the newcomers. 

I saw my first flyover of cedar waxwings today, all we are lacking are the brown-headed cowbirds, not that I am real excited to see those feeder hogs...

The Pine Siskins finally showed up on my thistle feeders this week. I did not know they could feed hanging upside down like the goldfinches? Out of all the Siskins I watched when I lived up north, I never remember them having that ability. Makes sense since they hang out and feed with the goldfinches who are pros at it! 

I haven't see any siskins yet this year, but I'm keeping my eyes peeled. Over the last week, the goldfinches have suddenly been on our thistle sock like crazy, so we'll see! 

We have had a hermit thrush hanging out in the feeding area at times, so that's been fun.

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

My goldfinches and Butter-butts have started transitioning to breeding colors.

Our goldfinches are, too. It's one of my favorite times of year for them, actually, because the males tend to get their black cap in a line above their eye first. It makes them look like they have angry eyebrows, and it cracks me up.

I'll have to be on the lookout for Butter-Butts, I've never seen any. I have a lot of new things this year that I didnt see last year. I have a lot of Goldfinches too on the sunflower hearts, I wonder should I get a thistle sock for them? I have an American Robin too that is coming everyday to drink, but not eating anything. I've got everything out they like, but I guess they just arent hungry enough yet. I have a lot of Orange Crowned Warblers too that are big suet eaters. I have a lot of Dark Eyed Juncos that will only eat whats on the ground. This is the first year for both of these too. 

2 hours ago, MeInDallas said:

I'll have to be on the lookout for Butter-Butts, I've never seen any. I have a lot of new things this year that I didnt see last year. I have a lot of Goldfinches too on the sunflower hearts, I wonder should I get a thistle sock for them? I have an American Robin too that is coming everyday to drink, but not eating anything. I've got everything out they like, but I guess they just arent hungry enough yet. I have a lot of Orange Crowned Warblers too that are big suet eaters. I have a lot of Dark Eyed Juncos that will only eat whats on the ground. This is the first year for both of these too. 

I have a thistle sock, and they are on it this year, but sometimes they don't like it. I've had better luck doing a millet and nyger mix in a seed tube made for finches. 

I've never had robins at a feeder, but we get the juncos as ground feeders every winter! I've only had an orange-crowned once on my suet, I do get pine warblers and yellow-rumped on it, though. (Along with the dang squirrels!)

I went on ebird and noticed that there have been quite a few sightings of Pine Siskins in Georgia. You can go out to the website below and enter in the current year and January to January and see that you may have Pine Siskins around you close.   I have quite a few of them now.  I went from zero to maybe 30 birds within the last week.  The siskins and goldfinches are emptying my thistle (nyjer) feeder every 3-4 days!   I get Pine Warblers, Yellow Rumps, Eastern Phoebes, Bluebirds and other insect eaters every year on my suet cakes.   It won't be too long and we'll start seeing Ruby Throats again!  We got them before April 1st last year.   My goldfinches have not started transitioning yet or if they have it is not very noticeable.  They will leave my property in April and I won't see them again until November. 

https://ebird.org/map/pinsis?neg=true&env.minX=133.9753310319345&env.minY=-11.252577182865888&env.maxX=-1.0246689680654981&env.maxY=78.36962033438256&zh=true&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=1&emo=1&yr=cur

Yeah, I saw the pine siskin reports, although Augusta seems to be in a bubble without them so far.

I had a big flock of Cedar Waxwings today that came in for a drink of water. First time ever that I've seen in my yard. They left and then either another group was behind them, or they came back for more water. I'm getting a lot of water drinkers in this cold weather. We arent below freezing but it is cold and cloudy the past few days. Took me awhile on Google to figure out what these birds were :lol: