Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Not as much bird activity for me the last several weeks.  My neighborhood birds (cardinals, titmice, chickadees, downys, phoebes, car. wrens, nuthatches, house finches) are all still coming around some but no new species from the North so far.  I didn't get to see any grosbeaks flying back this Fall.  Maybe I'll see some white-throated sparrows and American goldfinches before the end of 2017.  I hope this is a year for Pine Siskins to make it down here too! 

I seriously cannot believe how dead it is at my feeders these days! It's really gotten bad, but we did have a long summer, and just the past 2 weeks maybe, we are starting to get cold fronts coming thru. I was still running my a/c up until 10 days ago. I noticed the leaves are now starting to turn yellow and fall off. This is a real learning curve to get thru, but I'm glad to be learning it so I'll know what to expect next year. All I have visiting are a few House Sparrows, about 3 or 4 Carolina Chickadees, a Cardinal that gets really close to me just for a peanut, and a titmouse who is fascinated with the new peanut feeder. I get really frustrated, but I know you cant force nature.

It slows down for me every fall but then really picks back up once the cold temperatures of Winter settle in.  The birds seem to have more to eat during fall harvest season with all of the acorns and other nuts and seeds that are falling off the trees this time of year.  Usually by mid December they are emptying out my BOSS feeder every week.  Good luck!  I went out on to IBird and checked and it seems like quite a few migratory species are getting very close to me here in Central Alabama  so I've got a watch out for them.  I haven't seen an American goldfinch yet but I expect one to show up any day. 

• Like 1

Very slow at my feeders here in south Louisiana right now, but I'm hopeful things will pick up here soon too. 

• Like 1

The chipping sparrows, white throated sparrows, juncos, mourning doves, cardinals, chickadees, and bluebirds are at the feeders full force here.

large.5a0b8f1b5d75c_juncos036c.jpg.358f3

large.5a0b8f03c0a46_questionablesparrow0

large.5a0b8eea112a8_juncos040c.jpg.191db

• Like 3

Nice  Misspt!  The juncos arrived yesterday in my back yard!  They are hopping around in all the leaves that have fallen trying to find something to snack on.  They seem to be right on track because it was the second week of November when they arrived last year.  Still  no white-throats.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, misspt said:

The chipping sparrows, white throated sparrows, juncos, mourning doves, cardinals, chickadees, and bluebirds are at the feeders full force here.

large.5a0b8f1b5d75c_juncos036c.jpg.358f3

large.5a0b8f03c0a46_questionablesparrow0

large.5a0b8eea112a8_juncos040c.jpg.191db

I'm jealous. Send a few down my way. 

14 minutes ago, dred said:

I'm jealous. Send a few down my way. 

The white-throated sparrows do not stay, they will be moving down your way I am so very sure. The chipping sparrows are here for the winter I can't budge them. The juncos will disperse as well, we'll have about two that will hang around. Everybody else are permanent residents.

I'm getting so jealous too! Since my yard has been dead, I used yesterday to put up a new feeder pole, and to rearrange some stuff. Really anticipating some activity soon. I noticed I've had more in the morning, but its nothing compared to what it once was. I can hear them in the big trees though.