Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
HandyAndy75

Reporting ducks at public parks

Hi there,

I visited Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida this past spring, and was watching the ducks there. I spotted some of the exotic, obviously domestic birds that they had in their collection, but I also noticed other species that are regularly reported across North America, e.g. Ruddy Duck, Redhead, Hooded Merganser, Blue-winged Teal. I asked one of the zoologists on staff if all the ducks there were part of their captive collection, and she told me that some of them are wild ducks that fly in and spend time there.

Anyway, as a birder, I'm wondering if those birds are "countable" towards my yearly list. Just curious as to how I would treat them.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Unless you could be positive which birds were wild, I would not count them (and certainly wouldn't count the exotics). 

In my experience it has usually been fairly obvious when a bird is captive or domestic, so I don't have any trouble counting them. And with eBird if you're unsure then just leave it as duck sp. and make a comment. Stuff like this really depends on your own "rules," if you want to count them, that's great, if you don't want to count them, well that's great as well.

• Like 1

Usually parks and zoos have a list of their captive birds near such displays.  They also often clip one wing of their birds to keep them from flying off (if the bird isn't there due to injury in the first place).  If the bird appears to be capable of flight and isn't listed as being part of the display, I'd count it (and have).

I wasn't aware there were any rule.  I've always regarded 'countable' as being a personal definition.  One option is to keep a separate list of birds you've seen under such circumstances.  I recall someone here saying he kept a list of birds he'd seen on television.

I count them here at The zoo and seaworld. Like others have said, the wild ones are obvious. Most of the captive ones are banded.

• Like 1

@creeker You didn't let me count my 3 pink ibis from seaworld!!! :P  .....Oh wait....they were in a cage....nevermind!:blink:

• Haha 1

Thanks folks. I must admit I was mostly asking because I hadn't picked up Redhead or Ruddy Duck as year birds yet this year, and thought I'd like to count those ones. I'm thinking it's a safe bet those two species would not be domestic residents at Busch Gardens.

12 hours ago, HandyAndy75 said:

I'm thinking it's a safe bet those two species would not be domestic residents at Busch Gardens.

I would agree.

On 9/30/2017 at 3:58 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

I wasn't aware there were any rule.  I've always regarded 'countable' as being a personal definition. 

yes it is a personal definition.  your list, your rules!  however the necessity of having ABA rules and countability is for the purpose of comparing.  if one birder says he has an ABA list of 400 and the next birder has 425, are they comparing the same thing?  or does one guy have 20 exotics on his list?   And then some people will go further and specify if they do not count introduced birds (NIB) or if they do not count heard-only.  and of course now we also have to define if the list is With or Without Hawaii...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

yes it is a personal definition.  your list, your rules!  however the necessity of having ABA rules and countability is for the purpose of comparing.  if one birder says he has an ABA list of 400 and the next birder has 425, are they comparing the same thing?  or does one guy have 20 exotics on his list?   And then some people will go further and specify if they do not count introduced birds (NIB) or if they do not count heard-only.  and of course now we also have to define if the list is With or Without Hawaii...

Wait...my hawaii birds don't count??? :'(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ginspin16 said:

I hope to be fortunate enough to one day have to worry about 'With or Without Hawaii'  ;)

Otherwise, I don't expect to compare numbers.  I can't tell you know how many I have; I think it's somewhere north of 160 or 170 or so.  But I do see your point as it applies to those interested in competing.

On 10/7/2017 at 3:46 PM, Toofly said:

Wait...my hawaii birds don't count??? :'(

Hawaii was just added to the ABA checklist area in the past couple years so they count for the ABA list now. Most exotic species in Hawaii meet the criteria to be countable, established species, so you should be fine. Common stuff likes mynas, Red-crested Cardinals, Zebra Doves, and countless other species are countable. 

2 hours ago, JimBob said:

Hawaii was just added to the ABA checklist area in the past couple years so they count for the ABA list now. Most exotic species in Hawaii meet the criteria to be countable, established species, so you should be fine. Common stuff likes mynas, Red-crested Cardinals, Zebra Doves, and countless other species are countable. 

Nice! My last and final (5th) trip to Hawaii (June 2017)was actually the first time I started "birding" and it was with my iphone...I wasn't to serious then...but added like 15 or so lifers...including those you mentioned plus a wedge tailed shear water, white tailed tropic bird, and white rumped shamua to name a few!!!