Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
    • Aveschapines

Found a baby bird or a sick or injured bird?   07/11/17

Here is a short article with advice for what to do if you find a baby bird or one that appears to be sick or injured. Bird rescue article Please feel free to post here if you have questions or need more help.
EMUT

Towhee and sparrow

Photos taken a few days ago near Tucson, Arizona. I think this is a Canyon Towhee but this species isn't commonly recorded on eBird at the location, and I would need to add it with an explanation. The photo of course would be a big help if it is in fact a Canyon Towhee. There are a few different Sparrow species that seem like they could fit for the bird in this photo, none of which I am very familiar with. Thanks for the help!

Towhee.jpg

Sparrow10-9-17.jpg

If you send both of these shots in, you'll seriously confuse the reviewer! The first one is indeed a Canyon Towhee. The second one looks like a Chipping Sparrow, although I'm having trouble seeing the lores to nail it down -- that shadow's in just the wrong spot.

• Thanks 1

Thanks psweet! I have more photos of the sparrow, but all in that harsh light. In one it's head is turned facing back. Perhaps that would help in identifying it. I'd post it in this thread but its only allowing me to add a tiny photo here, which probably wouldn't help. It seems like that is the general size restriction. I don't know how I was able to attach the larger images to begin with. I don't have a Flickr account at this point and that seems to be the best way to post photo here. I'll look into it. Thanks again!

With the distinct wing bar and the face pattern, I still think Chipping is the best bet -- I'm having trouble trying to turn it into a Clay-colored, and the wingbar is wrong for Brewer's or Rufous-winged.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, psweet said:

With the distinct wing bar and the face pattern, I still think Chipping is the best bet -- I'm having trouble trying to turn it into a Clay-colored, and the wingbar is wrong for Brewer's or Rufous-winged.

Could it be a young chipping?

Thanks psweet. Those are the 3 other possibilities that I was thinking about and they all look very similar to me. I've seen Chipping Sparrows before, but I was still unsure with this one.

Yeah I'd agree with nonbreeding adult/immature chipping. Just doesn't fit clay-coloured for me, not bold enough. Lots of chipping passing through right now here!

• Thanks 1