Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

HI I've got a question to all you fellow bird caretakers. The thing is I've recently tried to buy a bird feeder and I was wondering would it be best to buy a copper bird feeder or a regular one. The other question is; how do birds eat bran flakes because I've been trying to feed them it but I don't know if I have to prepare the food a certain way or not.

Hi and welcome to WhatBird! I've moved your post to the birds and feeders forum; hopefully you'll get more responses here.

Meanwhile, I don't claim to be a bird food expert, but I've never heard of feeding bran flakes, and it seems like an unlikely food for wild birds. We humans eat bran because our modern diet has eliminated a lot of the natural fiber in foods, and our system is designed to have a lot of extra bulk in our food to help process it. I don't think wild birds are lacking in dietary fiber; they need foods with nutritional value, like seeds, fruit, or insects, depending on the species. And if you mean bran flakes breakfast cereal as opposed to unprocessed bran, probably a bad idea, with sugar and other ingredients that are probably not the best for birds either. A wild bird seed mix or individual seeds like niger or black oil sunflower seeds would be more suitable food. Different seeds and blends will attract different birds.

it can be expensive to feed birds especially the jays and doves  and magpies and blackbirds because they come in large bunches. i found over the years that the big birds like the grains and cracked corn and the scratch grains which is mixed grains for chickens. so i buy cracked corn and scratch grains at the local feed store cheaper a lot more than mixed bird seed. and they love it  i paid 8 dollars for a 50 lb bag for them the other day. and they emptied the feeders the same day.  use any kind of hopper feeder that they can perch on. My sister just uses a metal pan and hangs it from a branch with rope on each side

I would suggest buying a feeder that is easy to clean. Birds get diseases from dirty feeders.

If you like Suet, the best price I found is at Walmart. Their bulk size (comes out to be little under $1 per suet) is the best bargain I have found. They also have free shipping for over $35 or so. 

You can also make peanut butter rolled with seeds...etc. Dollar stores have peanut butter.

I have a friend that grows live mealworms in  container in her garden,  She uses left over kitchen scraps as their food. Birds love the worms. 

Get creative as it gets to be very expensive to feed birds. Enjoy.

tractor supply here is usually the cheapest on suet blocks but occasionally there are better sales elsewhere. i did the arithmatic on making my own suet but it is usually cost more but  the birds love the homemade best

Tractor Supply has really good no melt suet! I could never get the birds here at my house to eat suet until I got the Royal Wing brand. I dont know what the difference is either. Maybe they are just partial to it here in my area. I usually buy a case of each flavor when I buy suet. It is a really good price too, and they have a lot of sales on them. I didnt feed the birds last winter, so I'm going to try the other brands this season, and see if they take to it since I'll have a lot of out of towners coming thru.