Whatbird Community Board

Since the weather has turned colder I put out a pure suet block that did not seem to attract anything.  I then put up a suet block with peanuts and peanut butter?.  There has been some feeding on this one.  I was wondering what kind of suet block is best for the chicadees, titmice, nuthatches and flickers/woodpeckers that are here in Eastern Tennessee?

Well I finally saw an Eastern Bluebird on the peanut suet block.   I also saw a red-bellied woodpecker on my seed feeder.  I guess having the suet block up a short distance away has brought more different birds to my backyard.

I'm in Dallas, Tx and I have out Peanut Delight, Orange, Mealworm, and Berry flavored suet. The Peanut Delight is usually the favorite, but lately they are eating more Mealworm suet than anything. I use the no melt line from Royal Wing that is sold at Tractor Supply. I buy them in cases of 12 and store them in the fridge. One thing I learned about suet is it seems to take awhile longer to attract the birds that eat suet, than it does seeds. Not sure why, but I read that several places. If you just leave it out long enough where it wont spoil in direct sunlight, before you know it they will all find it, even the squirrels. Then you will be looking for squirrel proof suet feeders. It took awhile for them to start eating it here at my house. Just be patient and you will start to see some surprises come your way.

Oh and I forgot to say, get you a few different flavors, and cut them into 4 pieces each, then  put several different kinds in your feeder at the same time, and whichever one they like will get eaten the fastest. Thats what I did, and there are some brands I just couldnt get them to eat no matter what. They will show up though once they find it, dont worry. Just seems to take them awhile, and then once they do, they will all show up. First thing I had was a red bellied woodpecker, and I had no idea there were even any around here, but a lot of stuff came out of hiding once the suet arrived at my house.

I went to get my camera and by the time I got back many of the birds had left.  What was left were White Breasted Nuthatches and what looked like American Goldfinches in drab colors.  I did get a picture of a Downy woodpecker on the suet though.  I forgot.  This site does not accept files that are a little large.

Yeah, youre doing well! Look at those big bites gone out of that block. There will be more and more birds that will show up over time. If woodpeckers is what you want to attract, they love the peanut ones is what I've noticed. I use several of these double suet squirrel proof feeders. Those little downy woodpeckers just hop right thru it, and the larger ones will hang off the bottom and let the suet just fall right in their mouths as they peck it off in chunks. Woodpeckers have long beaks and tongues and they can do it easy.

37345286072_3538ddc9af.jpg

This is not my pic, just giving you an idea. With winter coming now is a good time to put some suet out. I usually keep it out all year long.

of the store bought suet blocks the royal wing from tractor supply works best for me and overall the prices are good. I make homemade suet in winter that outdues the store bought ones but it costs orerall a littles more  for the ingregients

I do have a Tractor Supply store here, but I have not looked at the suet blocks there.  Used to buy some of our dry cat food there and still like to go in tp look at what they sell.

We live in eastern Tennessee,  about 60 miles west of Knoxville.  The elevation here is a little over 2000 feet, if that makes a difference.

I have much more luck with the No-melt peanut suet from Wal-mart than with Royal Wing from Tractor Supply.  I don't know what the difference is, but they eat the Wally brand up in less than a week.  The RW cakes are rarely more than halfway eaten before they start to get molding.

I don't have much luck with the RW peanuts either.  On the other hand, their BOSS is significantly less expensive than Wally, Lowe's, or Home Depot, and my birds eat it as readily as from any other source.  I've had mixed success with some of their blends.

• Like 1

Is that the C&S Products suet? I see that brand at Walmart and its a great price, but for some reason my birds wont eat it. I have no idea why, and I've tried several times to get them to eat it, but they wont for some reason. They have great reviews on Amazon as well which is why I cant figure out if its just the birds in my area, or what it is. It looks like its well made, and not a cheap off brand you see some places. If I were a bird I'd eat it I think. I might try it again once I get birds coming back in bigger numbers. They are just now starting to trickle back from a huge fall buffet. We just got our first hard freeze in 333 days here in Dallas, so I'm starting to see a pick up in activity :D

On 12/10/2017 at 10:07 AM, MeInDallas said:

Is that the C&S Products suet? I see that brand at Walmart and its a great price, but for some reason my birds wont eat it. I have no idea why, and I've tried several times to get them to eat it, but they wont for some reason. They have great reviews on Amazon as well which is why I cant figure out if its just the birds in my area, or what it is. It looks like its well made, and not a cheap off brand you see some places. If I were a bird I'd eat it I think. I might try it again once I get birds coming back in bigger numbers. They are just now starting to trickle back from a huge fall buffet. We just got our first hard freeze in 333 days here in Dallas, so I'm starting to see a pick up in activity :D

I have the same issue with the C&S.  In fact, every doggone brand I try.. they don't want it, and I have a ton of birds at my feeders.  Only thing I've not tried is homemade PB suet, which I'm trying this week.  Did your birds ever start eating your suet?

I havent purchased any suet for awhile. Back in August I got several cases of Royal Wing from Tractor Supply, and the birds were eating it like crazy right before the fall drop off. I'm trying to go thru what I have before getting anymore because its just going to have to sit there for awhile. I keep mine in the fridge anyhow so it does keep. Once its all gone and the birds are back full swing I'm going to try the C&S brand again. I wasnt feeding suet this time last year, so I'm seeing a lot of birds I never saw before.

The home made peanut butter suet is always a winner. Everytime I make it the birds love it. I'd like to make a big batch of that again soon because it seems to bring out a lot of woodpeckers when I have it in the feeders.

I have noticed that 2 Pine Warblers have taken to my store bought Suet cakes.  I have seen yellow-rumped warblers and Kinglets on my suet before but I think this is the first time I have seen the Pine Warblers.  I get my suet from Neighborhood Market Walmart for 84 cents a piece.  The birds really like it. 

• Like 1

I have Pine Warblers and Orange Crowned Warblers for the first time ever in my yard. I cant tell if they are the same ones coming over and over or different ones. They love my home made suet, and the orange suet. I'm going to try the C&S from Walmart when its time to reload again. I'm curious if they will take to it this time around and they probably will since all these new ones are coming thru. I'm feeding in my back yard this year too, and I wasnt this time last year. It's a lot more peaceful back there.

I use C&S brand from Walmart and the birds eat most kinds that I have tried.  I am from Baltimore Co MD.  We get mostly woodpeckers at the suet feeders - hairy - downy and redbellied. They seem to eat the suet almost exclusively. Another common suet eater is the white-breasted nuthatch.  I have pileated woodpecker around - hear them quite often but see them less often.  Occasionally will land to peck at a stump in the back yard..

I put suet dough in two cage feeders attached to a seed feeder that I have  Suet in two "log" feeders I made. ( small logs (3-4 inch diameter logs with about one inch diameter holes drilled in them.)

On 1/10/2018 at 10:20 AM, Tclarkwood said:

I have noticed that 2 Pine Warblers have taken to my store bought Suet cakes.  I have seen yellow-rumped warblers and Kinglets on my suet before but I think this is the first time I have seen the Pine Warblers.  I get my suet from Neighborhood Market Walmart for 84 cents a piece.  The birds really like it. 

Wow.  What brand is that?  I did make some homemade, which smelled to me like peanut butter cookies. lol  It's not dry and crumbly like the store bought no mess stuff, but it is a no mess recipe.  I've seen birds take a few pecks here and there, but no one really gobbling it up.  

On 11/3/2017 at 9:54 AM, DaveOl said:

38107006102_d6f8d890aa_z.jpgDSC_3617-Pileated woodpecker by DaveOl1, on Flickr

This Pileated woodpecker was on the peanut suet this morning, but by the time I got my camera he went up in the tree.

This was taken through a double pane glass with a 300mm lens handheld and cropped a lot.

I can appreciate your efforts through the glass, as usually, that's what I'm dealing with. I leave my camera on a tripod now, and set it up every morning when I get up, and put it away, but nearby, every evening. Oh, by the way, your pileated in this photo is a female, no red cheek. I have 4 that come every day, two males and two females. Of course, I can't tell which is which, but I have seen 2 males at the same time, and 2 females at the same time. Usually it's 1 male and 1 female, but sometimes they mix it up. 

On 12/10/2017 at 11:07 AM, MeInDallas said:

I saw that you are hoping to get some pileated woodpeckers at your feeders. I'm lucky enough that my backyard is full of woods. I have at least 4 pileated woodpeckers that visit nearly every day. I can't tell the difference between the 2 males yet, but I think I can between the 2 females. Very often I will see 2 females and a male all at the same time. Less frequently I will see 2 males at the same time. Several times a day I see both a male and female visiting the feeders (I have 3 that they come to). Though they are larger, I think they are fairly cordial with the other smaller birds. Last summer they had babies  and taught them the ropes in my neighborhood where the good food was. It's here! :)

I use the C& S suet products from Walmart sparingly. The birds will eat it, but take longer to go through it than other ones. My pileateds enjoy the good stuff from WBU. It's more expensive, but I try to get it on sale and buy in quantity when it is. They LOVE it! Their favorites are the PB &J suet, and the bark butter. The pileateds here visit many many times a day, maybe 10-12 times some days, and probably no fewer than 6 times in a day. That's in winter! In the summer, it is no fewer than 4 times a day. They don't stay for long, but they come back frequently, just like the smaller birds.

When they teach their babies where the food supply is, it's pretty cool! It's my favorite part of the summer!

• Like 1

I'll send the brand of suet the next time I get some.. It is very cheap.  I almost think they prefer the cheaper brand.  It seems to have a little more fat in it. 

18 hours ago, SummerShaddow said:

Wow.  What brand is that?  I did make some homemade, which smelled to me like peanut butter cookies. lol  It's not dry and crumbly like the store bought no mess stuff, but it is a no mess recipe.  I've seen birds take a few pecks here and there, but no one really gobbling it up.  

I've toyed with the notion of making my own, but I have a couple of problems:

1) I have no idea where to get beef fat to render

2) I don't know where I'd store all the cakes

3) I'm too lazy.

4) Suet is inexpensive, and the no-melt variety is great when the temperatures warm up.

I guess I don't see any advantages, other than being able to say I make my own suet.