Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.

Since the weather has turned colder I put out a pure suet block that did not seem to attract anything.  I then put up a suet block with peanuts and peanut butter?.  There has been some feeding on this one.  I was wondering what kind of suet block is best for the chicadees, titmice, nuthatches and flickers/woodpeckers that are here in Eastern Tennessee?

Well I finally saw an Eastern Bluebird on the peanut suet block.   I also saw a red-bellied woodpecker on my seed feeder.  I guess having the suet block up a short distance away has brought more different birds to my backyard.

I'm in Dallas, Tx and I have out Peanut Delight, Orange, Mealworm, and Berry flavored suet. The Peanut Delight is usually the favorite, but lately they are eating more Mealworm suet than anything. I use the no melt line from Royal Wing that is sold at Tractor Supply. I buy them in cases of 12 and store them in the fridge. One thing I learned about suet is it seems to take awhile longer to attract the birds that eat suet, than it does seeds. Not sure why, but I read that several places. If you just leave it out long enough where it wont spoil in direct sunlight, before you know it they will all find it, even the squirrels. Then you will be looking for squirrel proof suet feeders. It took awhile for them to start eating it here at my house. Just be patient and you will start to see some surprises come your way.

Oh and I forgot to say, get you a few different flavors, and cut them into 4 pieces each, then  put several different kinds in your feeder at the same time, and whichever one they like will get eaten the fastest. Thats what I did, and there are some brands I just couldnt get them to eat no matter what. They will show up though once they find it, dont worry. Just seems to take them awhile, and then once they do, they will all show up. First thing I had was a red bellied woodpecker, and I had no idea there were even any around here, but a lot of stuff came out of hiding once the suet arrived at my house.

I went to get my camera and by the time I got back many of the birds had left.  What was left were White Breasted Nuthatches and what looked like American Goldfinches in drab colors.  I did get a picture of a Downy woodpecker on the suet though.  I forgot.  This site does not accept files that are a little large.

Yeah, youre doing well! Look at those big bites gone out of that block. There will be more and more birds that will show up over time. If woodpeckers is what you want to attract, they love the peanut ones is what I've noticed. I use several of these double suet squirrel proof feeders. Those little downy woodpeckers just hop right thru it, and the larger ones will hang off the bottom and let the suet just fall right in their mouths as they peck it off in chunks. Woodpeckers have long beaks and tongues and they can do it easy.

37345286072_3538ddc9af.jpg

This is not my pic, just giving you an idea. With winter coming now is a good time to put some suet out. I usually keep it out all year long.

of the store bought suet blocks the royal wing from tractor supply works best for me and overall the prices are good. I make homemade suet in winter that outdues the store bought ones but it costs orerall a littles more  for the ingregients

I do have a Tractor Supply store here, but I have not looked at the suet blocks there.  Used to buy some of our dry cat food there and still like to go in tp look at what they sell.

We live in eastern Tennessee,  about 60 miles west of Knoxville.  The elevation here is a little over 2000 feet, if that makes a difference.