Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
guy_incognito

ABA checklist update

30 minutes ago, darknight said:

I'm not sure how I feel about Red Junglefowl making the official ABA list.

With the addition of Hawaii, I now certainly understand why many birders keep a no introduced birds (NIB) list!

Will be interesting to see what they say in further announcements regarding the Hawaiian decisions.  As many have pointed out in the comments section on the ABA page, there are many changes that could (should?) have been made but weren't, along with several flat out mistakes that need to be corrected.

I found it interesting that all Hawaiian birds, native and introduced, got a code 2 designation, even the common ones. 

55 minutes ago, darknight said:

I found it interesting that all Hawaiian birds, native and introduced, got a code 2 designation, even the common ones. 

Not all, for example Zebra Dove, Gray Francolin and Red Junglefowl are code 1, and Mariana Swiftlet is code 3.  Of course, Orange-crowned Warbler is now a code 3, so I wouldn't count on everything being correct.

In a way it would make sense for the Hawaiian birds to be code 2 due to the limited range.  Per ABA; "Code-2 species have a restricted North American range, are more widespread, but occur in lower densities, or are quite secretive making their detection often difficult."

That’s interesting. Japanese White-eyes are a code 2, yet they’re probably one of the most common exotics, and Gray Francolin are neither super easy to see nor super abundant. I wonder what if Red Junglefowl includes all feral chickens, or just the “wild type” ones  

There's a lot of weird things going on with the codes of some birds... Orange-crowned Warbler is the most notable but there were a few others that some people have found.

OK, I do not know what happened here... I downloaded the Excel spreadsheet and entered my birds. Checked it... double-checked it... and triple checked it... my lifelist jumped to 498!  Maybe I forgot to add birds from a business trip to my total at some point.

They've released an updated version, apparently fixing errors like the Orange-crowned Warbler and adding Chatham Albatross, which was originally omitted.