Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Sign in to follow this  
Roddy B

Sparrow problems

Hello everyone, I am having a problem I hope you can help me resolve. I have numerous types of feeders in my yard and attract a good variety of birds with common sparrows being the most prevalent. My problem is the suet feeders I put out are not intended to feed sparrows but once they discover them they can finish a cake in a day or two. Is there any way to assure that the intended birds can feed and keep those &%@## sparrows away?  I use they common 4x4 cages now but if anyone knows of anything better please inform me. Thank you for any and all suggestions.:)

House Sparrows were put on earth by God, to make life for backyard birders a bit more challenging. (Yes, of course I realize they were introduce to North America by Man, but I think it was all part of God’s plan.)  There may be no  solution to the problem.  I too have been infested with them, and I have simply stopped putting out seed until I find a solution. And NONE of the suggested solutions works.  Try safflower…  they devour it.  Stripped sunflower seeds .. they love that too. Upside down feeders … they adapt.  And many more suggestions, all failures. 

One promising approach is the Magic Halo.  Problem is, nobody sells them anymore. So I crafted one, and it worked. For a day or so, until it fell apart.  Sparrows flew to it and veered away, while all other birds ignored it.   However, I suspect that if I am able to keep one up long enough, they will adapt.  But I am going to keep trying to fashion one that will hold up.  I’ll try to report back.

One thing I notice… I have a window feeder, and I have never seen a sparrow on it.  Don’t know why.   But then, how many window feeders can you put up?

Let me add this.  I an seriously considering acquiring a trap.  A bit of research indicates that a trap can be effective.  It attracts all birds but you can reach in and grab and release the "good" birds while accumulating the house sparrows. The problem is, there is no suggestion of what to do with the caught sparrows.  Blue Birder kill them (and justifiably so) but I'm not a Blue Birder and don't want to go to that extreme.  I don't want to simply relocate them  where they will become someone else's problem.  I have contacted wildlife rehab centers, to see if they would take them as prey for their raptors.  Seems like a good solution but I haven't heard back from any of them.

You got problems?
Kidding ya: this was spring 2017.  One feeder survived, a couple birds identified in it yesterday.  I have purchased replacements, but not out there yet.
https://imgur.com/a/cNTrz

That was a little bit of money in the destroyed feeders.  I found old boards make make great platform feeders in the spring.