Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
darknight

Headlamp for owling

I need a good headlamp for owling in the tropics. Anyone have any recommendations for something under $50 that works well?

I have been pleased with a number of Fenix products, handheld flashlights that is. Haven't actually tried their headlamps. But what is owling?

I'm not sure if they make it anymore, but I have a Fenix headlamp that was maybe in the $60 range.  I chose it because it actually has two lamps.  One is a spotlight/beam, so it is good for shining at a distance on an owl.  The other is a floodlight.  It seems that most headlamps are a floodlight, which is sending a lot of light in directions you don't really need.

As a slight aside, it would be interesting to see if people prefer a headlamp or a handheld flashlight for owling.

I went with a headlamp because I thought it would be better for photography and/or binoculars.  However, it is often not very practical to try to use your headlamp and photograph at the same time.  This is especially true if you have an external flash.  The flash unit blocks the headlamp.  If I'm by myself and trying to do photography, I basically have to take my headlamp off and try to brace it next to the lens and point the light in the same direction as my camera.  This is REALLY tough, especially as the camera often can't autofocus in low light, so trying to point a light at the exact same spot as the camera and manual focus at the same time is pretty dang tough.  Ideally I'd like to get a flashlight and rig a way to connect it to my lens hood so that the light is pointing exactly where the camera points.  Best solution is have a non-photographer friend along to hold the flashlight!

One last disadvantage I've found with a headlamp...if it is dusty, the dust in the air is much more visible and distracting with a head lamp because the light is coming from very close to your eye line. 

14 hours ago, HamRHead said:

But what is owling?

Really? :huh:  It is when you go out past dark and look for owls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MerMaeve said:

Really? :huh:  It is when you go out past dark and look for owls.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure it is illegal in GA to light up wildlife.

5 hours ago, HamRHead said:

I'm not going to shoot them, promise. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HamRHead said:

Funny… I've actually gone owling in Georgia before. Nothing too extravagant, we just walked a short distance away from where we were staying as there were reliable trees where Eastern Screech-Owls would fly to… ended up seeing two. I would assume it isn't illegal, but it is always good to keep playback/flash to a minimum for the bird's sake. 

I don't have any headlamp suggestions, though. I've lucked out and someone else was always holding a flashlight whenever looking for owls. 

• Like 1

I had a bushnell and it stank!  I would suggest going to WalMart and getting an energizer one.

Well, I should have known what owling was. Today I remembered a great book called Owl Moon by Jane Yolen. We used to get it out of the library. It is a children's book--I love children's books--about a girl and her dad. They go owling. It's a lovely story with excellent illustrations...highly recommended. Here it is on Amazon but you might find it on ebay or at your library. https://www.amazon.com/Owl-Moon-Jane-Yolen/dp/0399214577

Description from Publishers Weekly:

A girl and her father go owling on a moonlit winter night near the farm where they live. Bundled tight in wool clothes, they trudge through snow "whiter than the milk in a cereal bowl"; here and there, hidden in ink-blue shadows, a fox, raccoon, fieldmouse and deer watch them pass. An air of expectancy builds as Pa imitates the Great Horned Owl's call once without answer, then again. From out of the darkness "an echo/ came threading its way/ through the trees." Schoenherr's watercolor washes depict a New England few readers see: the bold stare of a nocturnal owl, a bird's-eye view of a farmhouse. In harmony with the art, the melodious text brings to life an unusual countryside adventure. Ages 2-6.
Copyright 1987 Reed Business Information, Inc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2017 at 1:20 PM, HamRHead said:

Only if you have a gun with you. DK, there is an "As seen on tv" one that you can buy at CVS or Wal-Mart, super bright, $19.99.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, creeker said:

Only if you have a gun with you. DK, there is an "As seen on tv" one that you can buy at CVS or Wal-Mart, super bright, $19.99.

That was definitely the case years ago in NC. So maybe still true.

Does anyone know how LED lighting might affect an owls vision?

On 12/9/2017 at 8:48 AM, HamRHead said:

Does anyone know how LED lighting might affect an owls vision?

It's not optimal to shine light on owls at night. I won't claim to be an expert on the subject, but it should seem obvious that an organism that has eyes specially developed for nocturnal vision, sudden bursts of light are going to disrupt that.  It likely won't be permanent, but it will disrupt normal function (ABA listing snobs may claim a temporarily blinded owl isn't countable).  There are two options that I feel would be better than lighting up owls, one is check out a night vision monocular. I know the National Geographic store has them, but you can find them around on the internet, they're not too terribly expensive. They're pretty neat, they don't blind the owl and the resolution is good enough for ID.  If that won't suffice, consider a headlamp that has a red light. The longer wavelength is better suited for preserving night vision in people, and I assume it would function well with owls. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, asque2000 said:

one is check out a night vision monocular.

Sounds neat. but when would you use it unless you went owling all the time?

3 minutes ago, asque2000 said:

If that won't suffice, consider a headlamp that has a red light.

YES!  the red option in headlamps is amazing for reading past your bed time.  Not that i have done that before........;)  And yes, It does help not ruin your night vision.

• Like 1