Whatbird Community Board
  • Announcements

• Bigfoot

Whatbird Forums Rules   01/08/17

'Help Me Identify a Bird' rules: When posting a new thread, please: 1. Read the FAQ and forum rules before posting 2. Include the location in your Post when seeking ID 3. Include the date of the sighting 4. Provide a photo or detailed description of the bird Forum rules: By posting in the WhatBird forums you agree to the following board rules: 1. You will be tolerant and respectful of your fellow members 2. You will not spam 3. You will not post sexually explicit, vulgar or racist material 4. You will not advertise or sell products 5. You will not discuss illegal activities 6. You will keep topics of religion and politics to a bare minimum 7. You will not take advantage of chat to break any of the above rules. 8. Members will not discuss homosexuality nor make any comments about others' sexuality. Breaking any of these rules may result in a suspension or a permanent ban from the forums!! Furthermore, anyone who causes continuous dissent and disarray in the forums will be banned as seen fit by the forum moderators under the pretense of "trolling." Gallery photos: Regarding photos in the Whatbird gallery, please keep in mind that the copyright belongs to the person who took the photo. So please do not use any of the Gallery photos without requesting permission from the photographer. Forum Photos: If you use photos other than your own, please place a link to the referenced photo and do not post other photographer's work directly.
Totah Sam

What is your favorite bird?

We all have our preferences. I would love to know what your favorite bird is and what makes it your favorite.  Oddly enough mine is the Mourning Dove.  It reminds me of my childhood.  Growing up on a farm we had tons of crops.  The Mourning Doves would flock to the fields and eat their fill.  I used to run through them just to hear the sound they make when they take flight.  Their sad call was something my friends and I would imitate blowing through cupped hands.  I got pretty good at it.  These days I hear it rarely and it has become a nostalgic sound full of memories and wonder.  

So what is your favorite?  :)

• Like 1

Ack they're all beautiful, it's so hard to choose! I personally love tree swallows, and pretty much everything of that sort. I adore observing the nuthatches, chickadees and nuthatches coming to my feeders too. There's also scrub jays; they're just so gorgeous. Definitely not my favorites, but I really appreciate song sparrows and white throated sparrows. I love that gorgeous, clear streaking on SOSPs and they both look so cool from head-on because of how the stripes all point out from their beaks 

• Like 1

I love ALL birds. Some say even vultures are horrendous, however they are just different. Different isn't bad. I don't know. I am really fascinated by hummingbirds. There's a South American species of hummingbird called a  white-necked Jacobin (I've only seen them in pictures.) Their colors are so flashy. Also, the way hummingbirds can move is absolutely amazing! Hummingbirds have been known to fight off hawks. I also really like Anhingas, a heron-like bird that can be found all around the gulf of Mexico. You can see them splaying their wings out to dry in the sun. Also, when they fish, they dive underwater and will actually swim with their heads just on the surface of the water. Ivory-billed woodpeckers are cool, even though they are thought to be extinct. I love snowy owls and Eastern Towhees and every bird. But yeah, those are just some of them.

• Like 1

PAINTED BUNTING!!!!!!!!! :wub::wub::wub::wub::wub::wub:  Then probably the lil Black-Capped Chickadee, Purple Gallinule,  tho I've never seen them Dutch Faced Lovebirds and Peach faced Lovebirds are pretty too.  But any bird that is pretty and or TEAL!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

I have to choose?  lol  Okay...

Songbirds: #1 Carolina Wren #2 Northern Cardinal (but really, I love them all!)

Raptors:  Bald Eagle

• Like 1

#ILIKEALLBIRDS! ;)

My 2 favorite Birds are:

#1: Bald Eagle. I love observing them while they're flying.

#2: Florida Scrub Jay. My most wanted Bird and Florida's only endemic Bird.

• Like 1

Hooded Warbler!  I wouldn't exactly call it my "spark bird" because I was interested in birds and birding before I knew it existed.  However, soon after I decided I would pursue birding as a serious hobby and I started really digging into field guides and the Internet to learn about the North American birds I didn't know about, I came across Cornell's page for the Hooded Warbler and it really left an impact.  I'd already seen photos and descriptions of several of the other more colorful warblers, but something about this ski-mask/beard pattern struck me as so ridiculous and adorable that I couldn't wait to see one in the wild.  

• Like 1

I like the good old Carolina Wren.  He's my favorite, because he makes beautiful music and he's a beautiful, elegant bird.  And, because he's very often in my back yard and I can see him clearly from the kitchen window.  After that, I like the Black and White Warbler. Except I have never gotten a good look at one.  My favorite winter bird is the Junco.Plenty of them in my backyard in the winter, especially in the snow.

Today some of BN #1's favorites are:

Brown Creeper, Yellow-throated Vireo, Eastern Wood-Pewee, Great Crested Flycatcher, Blue-winged Warbler, Ring-necked Duck, Broad-winged Hawk, American Kestrel.........

On 1/1/2018 at 4:35 PM, Mambastar said:

Hummingbirds have been known to fight off hawks.

I once saw a hummingbird harass a Red-tail while I was mowing the lawn!

• Haha 2